ADVERTISEMENT

MLB, World Series Thread

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
I did a Red Sox thread last year, it got some play but certainly not like the Braves thread. Hell I'm even a Braves fan from the the TBS era, I can name the starting lineup from the 82' team that won 13 straight, lol. So feel free to chime in whenever to praise or bitch about your team, AL or NL for that matter. I don't have the time to peruse all the details of the other teams, so keep us up to snuff on your team. I know Rishi will chime in on the Jays{1-7?}, and we have four or five knowledgeable Bosox fans on here. DFS helped keep us afloat as well with timely posts. Speaking of Boston, not the most auspicious start, bats were fairly silent against the Detroit pitching. Our 2016 early season savior{Wright} got shelled again last night, it will interesting to see if he can remain in the rotation once Price gets back. Sale and Pomeranz have looked good, Rodriguez and Porcello, ugh.

I'm a huge Red Sox fan and while nothing is guaranteed, there is enough talent to contend.

I thought early on and continue to think it will take a good long while for this team to heat up. Missing Ortiz is a huge blow to the chemistry and atmosphere of the entire organization. You don't just move on that quickly, it will take time for the team to work together in a new way.

Speaking of the Pirates, Marte gets busted for PEDs, will sit out half the season. Will they ever learn? AL east has been very competitive, the Rays fought us tooth and nail, ex FSUer Kevin Cash has them playing decent. Moreland has been stepping up offensively for the Bosox. The Jay's have been abysmal, hope we can continue their slide in this twofer series Wright pitched decently yesterday, at least he didn't get shelled, lol. In the NL, the Rockies have started strong.

Boston sneaks out of Baltimore with a win, good news is Rodriguez and Pomeranz pitched well, Wright got knocked around{again} and Sale had pitched on Thurs against the Jays so wasn't used. The Jays have played .500 ball their last ten, Rays continue to play well. Rockies and Astros are surprises in the National.

My Astros have been the king of the comeback so far this year. 3 of the 18 wins have come when the team was down by 5 runs and they've come from behind 12 times for wins already. 18-9 so far and I like what I've seen too. This team has been fun to watch so far and it could be a special season if they can stay healthy.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Glad to see the Houston sports scene come alive, the Stros have pretty much lived up to their billing. Good to see Josh Reddick contributing to the cause. The Rangers are without Hamel for at least two months, ouch, no wonder they're pissed. Meanwhile in racist Boston, lol, let's just say between the beanballs and the racial accusations, the team ain't scoring a lot of runs. Thank god for the starting pitching or we'd be sub.500.

The whole Machado thing is really tired and old. Enough already on both sides.

As for Adam Jones I think it's a positive thing in the long run in both publicity and response by the team and fans.

The Sox continue to bumble along, no consistency from the starters except Sale, and timely hitting just not there. Jackie Bradley mired in a horrible slump and the injury bug still hanging around. Wow, is the NL West race already over? Stros with a 9 game loss column lead. Rockies still surprising, Jays are starting to stir.

The Sox continue to bumble along, no consistency from the starters except Sale, and timely hitting just not there. Jackie Bradley mired in a horrible slump and the injury bug still hanging around. Wow, is the NL West race already over? Stros with a 9 game loss column lead. Rockies still surprising, Jays are starting to stir.

I'd be surprised if the Jays are a factor this year. In fact I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't sellers at the July deadline. Have 2 pretty good pieces in SP Marco Estrada and Francisco Liriano that will probably garner a lot of interest. Maybe RP Jason Grilli as well as a 7th/8th inning guy (was very good last year in that role and is getting better since early season struggles).

The Astros are 28-12 (.700) and on fire right now. The lineup is stacked and the pitching has been pretty good too. Also, read yesterday that 3 of the last 4 teams that had a .700 winning percentage after 40 games won the World Series. That's a ways off, but at least I still have hope before Memorial Day this year!

Last edited:
I've been impressed by Kevin Cash's Rays so far, Dickerson has been on fire. The Sox just got punked by the A's out west, still can't score runs, except when they don't need to. Good to see Moreland hit homers in 3 straight games. Atlanta Braves tangle with Jays last week, only 6 games out?

Call me a petulant, whiny Boston fan, but how do we throw that game away last night with Sale on the mound after getting the first three from the worst team in baseball? Shut out by a guy whose name I've forgotten already, sigh. Elsewhere in the East, the Yanks with phenom Judge just whacked around the O's, whose pitching suddenly resembles the Nole's mid season. Rays and Jays still in striking distance. Division leaders Astros and Nats not playing great, but no one really challenging them. In AL Central, KC on a little run, but Minny still in first. Is the NL West the best division in baseball right now?

Bosox on a bit of a tear now, the starting pitching as a whole, is fairly consistent and the bullpen is pretty much stout. The bats are producing as well. Mookie Betts, wow. Deserves that All Star start. The rest of the division, with the exception of the steady as she goes Rays, is struggling right now. The Jays appeared to be steadying themselves but have nosedived again. O's are searching for pitching answers. The Stros are putting on the afterburners, their road record is unreal. The Rockies have hit a wall, the Dodgers have blown by them. Washington is cruising in their division, all challengers have been laid to waste.

Rays playing good ball, hats off to them. I'm reasonably happy where Boston is, feels like this team has yet to click but could be very good if it does.

OP-
1B- Chris Chambliss
2B- Glen Hubbard
SS- Rafael Ramirez
3B- Bob Horner
LF- Ken Griffey
CF- Brett Butler
RF- Dale Murphy
C- Bruce Benedict
P- Pascal Perez

I didn't look...amiright?

Good god that Sox Yanks game was long. Then to turn around and play 2 tomorrow. They will basically play 5 games this weekend. MLB needs to do something about speeding up the game.

OP-
1B- Chris Chambliss
2B- Glen Hubbard
SS- Rafael Ramirez
3B- Bob Horner
LF- Ken Griffey
CF- Brett Butler
RF- Dale Murphy
C- Bruce Benedict
P- Pascal Perez

I didn't look...amiright?
Seminoleed is correct, Claudell Washington was a big factor that year. Gwinnet, I had forgot Perez was a decent pitcher for them that year. The pitching wasn't that heralded, hell Niekro was their main man. You had Mahler and Bob Walk along with Niekro and Perez starting. Pretty strong in the pen with Bedrock and Geno Garber.

Good god that Sox Yanks game was long. Then to turn around and play 2 tomorrow. They will basically play 5 games this weekend. MLB needs to do something about speeding up the game.
God, it's suddenly painful to watch Boston hit, starting with the Rays series, they can't hit the ball out of the infield, much less the broad side of a barn. Timbo, I rarely watch the games live anymore, I can run through a tape in about two hours. Ask any younger person why they don't like watching baseball, the length of the games is the biggest complaint. I don't have the MLB package or NESN, although they're still on quite a bit with the MLB game of the day, TBS, Fox, also watch them when they play the Birds on MSN.

Going to the MLB Hall of Fame ceremony this weekend, which has always been a bucket list item. Also, I get to see my favorite player growing up Jeff Bagwell get inducted so I am really excited for that. Not to mention Pudge Rodriguez and Tim Raines Sr. are getting inducted so that will be cool to see also.

God, it's suddenly painful to watch Boston hit, starting with the Rays series, they can't hit the ball out of the infield, much less the broad side of a barn. Timbo, I rarely watch the games live anymore, I can run through a tape in about two hours. Ask any younger person why they don't like watching baseball, the length of the games is the biggest complaint. I don't have the MLB package or NESN, although they're still on quite a bit with the MLB game of the day, TBS, Fox, also watch them when they play the Birds on MSN.
I do the same. I can't pay for another package we get the NFL and NHL. Baseball does a good job of getting them on. Clearly the Sox have a large national follow so I'm sure they put them on a lot on purpose.

Bats have been silent since the break.

How about the Price drama with Eck. I love Eco on NESN he does a really good job. Price is far to thin skinned for a market like Boston.

With the trade deadline coming up on Monday (non-waive wire), who do you think your teams will trade/try to trade for?

I think the Jays will trade Lefty SP Francisco Liriano (FA after the season), but will have a harder time trading SP Marco Estrada (FA after the season) and RF Jose Batista (10 and 5 plus a player option for 2018).

They might be able to trade 1 or 2 of their bullpen arms as well RHP Joe Smith (FA) and maybe LHP Aaron Loup (Arbitration for 2018).

I'd say LHP J.P. Howell (FA), but since he's been on the DL since mid-June and unsure of a return date, that seems unlikely. If he returns in August and has a few good outings he could be a candidate for the August waiver-wire trade deadline.

Someone like a utility IF in Darwin Barney (FA) may be a candidate, but that seems more like an August waiver-wire trade move to me.

Bosox on a bit of a roll now after a sluggish post All-star start. Nunez and Devers additions have jump started the offense. Holt and Benentendi back to decent play. Pitching continues to be strong with Kelly and Price returning. The addition of Addison Reed added even more depth,.(damn that's a lot of add's in a sentence, lol). Central division races in both leagues are looking competitive along with the AL East, but the fat lady has sung in the remaining three.

Last edited:
Yeah good points. I felt like this team had yet to coalesce but perhaps getting there. No fun to face Chris Sale after a rough outing...

Well, the races are over with exception of ALE and the Cubs trying to hang on to their lead. The Indians still on an amazing 23 game win streak, have pulled away from the Royals. The Cleveland sports fans finally getting their money's worth the last couple of years. Red Sox are still pretty inconsistent, getting swept at home to the O's a couple weeks ago and then turning around and winning their last 3 series. Still not really comfortable with their offense, pitching still seems solid, although it was sad to see Fister come back to earth after 4 or 5 solid games. Price still looming in the bullpen, they say he won't be starting so look for a slow reintroduction into the fray.

What do you think of Price in the pen? Kind of disappointing to me. Really dislike the guy.

I think they're hoping he could be like Miller was for Cleveland last year. Of course it all depends on the starters, if they don't implode Price will probably come in as a middle guy. Red Sox have a ton of dependable arms right now, even the somewhat shaky middle relief has performed well.

Sox clinch, many races pretty secure. I don't know how Cleveland gets stopped at this point but baseball momentum is funny that way. You just get used to winning and it becomes self-fulfilling but the tenor of the playoffs can flip that switch very quickly.

Yes, hard to argue that point after the tear they went on. Pretty strange season with lots of division races becoming well...not division races. Not good for business in those underachieving markets. Red Sox stumble to the finish line, not feeling good about the team, but let's play this one out, you never know.

Season ends like I thought it would, with a punchless offense and inconsistent pitching. Farrell is shown the door, not really surprising, although they did finish in first. My biggest beef with him was leaving starters in too long, particularly if they were ineffective. We just weren't good enough offensively to dig our way out of 5-0 holes. If we did score runs, he would leave Sale out there through 8 with a five run lead. Oh well, the search for a coach is on. Astros will hopefully close out the evil Yankees, was disappointed the Nats didn't pull it out, feel really bad for the long suffering DC fans in this area{VA}, now they'll hate this Boston fan even more, lol.

Have been watching pretty closely. Was pulling for the Indians at first, but now I'll be happy with anyone but the Yankees winning it all.

Astros hitting has really fallen off in the ALCS. If they can win tonight they'll win the series with Keuchel and Verlander coming back for games 5 and 6 (if necessary).

Reactions: NoleLizards
Astros hitting has really fallen off in the ALCS. If they can win tonight they'll win the series with Keuchel and Verlander coming back for games 5 and 6 (if necessary).
Only problem is we've seen this movie before, and it's why I hate the Yankees...My distaste goes back to the '96 WS when journeyman nobody Jim Leyritz pinch hit a three-run homer to get them back into game 4 before winning against my Braves when Atlanta was on the verge of going up 3 games to 1 (before going on to lose in 6). NYY has long been the Freddy Kruger of MLB.

Last edited:
It's happening again, dammit! I can see why "Damn Yankees" was so successful!

It's going to be Yankees vs. Dodgers in the Fall Classic yet again...As timeless as dogs and cats.

Glad you guys were partially wrong and apparently there still is a God as the Yankees are eliminated. Two long suffering programs get a shot at winning, no east coast team means ratings might be down. My money would be on the Dodgers as Houston hasn't been good on the road. Boston hires a bench coach with one year of experience? Not particularly crazy about this hire, anyone have inside info on Cora?

Reactions: NoleLizards
Glad you guys were partially wrong and apparently there still is a God as the Yankees are eliminated. Two long suffering programs get a shot at winning, no east coast team means ratings might be down. My money would be on the Dodgers as Houston hasn't been good on the road. Boston hires a bench coach with one year of experience? Not particularly crazy about this hire, anyone have inside info on Cora?
Cora played in Boston and was widely regarded as the "smartest" player during his tenure. I remember him as a quality utility player who always was in the right place situationally. Castiglione and the other media guys loved his understanding of the game. Don't know about his bench or managerial experience but Tito loved the guy. I'm willing to take a shot over the other 2 candidates.

Doesn't hurt he speaks espanol either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT