ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread Formerly Celtics Thread

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
The Boston Celtics are in first place in the east! lol. Congrats to Coach Brad Stevens for developing these players into a cohesive unit, and for developing Thomas into a prime time player.

LeBron and company are trying to underplay the importance of being the #1 seed. With the way they've played the last month or so, the need to be worried.

As a Raptors follower, I hope the seeds stay as they are. I like the chances against Atlanta better than Milwaukee and Boston better than Cleveland. Now none of that matters if Lowery can't return.

C's come back to earth, getting abused by the Cav's and Hawks. Defense and rebounding has been their Achilles Heel most of the season, and Cleveland exploited that, out rebounding us by 20.

Rebounding Celtics, rebounding! How many times this season are we going to out rebounded by 20 boards? You'd think with as many 3's that we fling up there, we could at least get a few long rebounds!

Celtics get a break with Rondo getting hurt,
As a Raptors follower, I hope the seeds stay as they are. I like the chances against Atlanta better than Milwaukee and Boston better than Cleveland. Now none of that matters if Lowery can't return.
Well, with Lowery back and contributing, Toronto still has their hands full. That game yesterday was a slugfest. Speaking of injuries, Celtics get a break with Rondo getting hurt. Defense has got to be consistent. I guess the big question is, can anyone upset Cavs or Warriors?

Celtics dispatch Bulls and take the first game against the Wiz. When the C's play D and rebound, they're hard to stop. Cavs? Well, just a matter of how many games to finish the Raptors. I really love the Spurs Rockets match up, this is an underrated rivalry, Spurs have the slight edge. Another cakewalk with the Warriors over the surprising Jazz.

Twenty two 3 pointers for the Rockets in their win over the Spurs last night. Live by the 3, die by the 3?
Possibly, although the Rockets struggled in the first round from behind the arc and still found ways to win. Also overlooked was how good of defense the Rockets played for most of the game last night. Not something D'Antoni teams are typically known for.

In all fairness though, it was probably the Rockets best game of the season and the Spurs worst game of the season last night. Still expect this series to go 7 games, but I still think the Rockets can win if they can keep the defensive intensity up. Won't be easy since I know Popovich will adjust and the Spurs won't die easy.

Twenty two 3 pointers for the Rockets in their win over the Spurs last night. Live by the 3, die by the 3?
They say that about the Celtics this year, and that's always been a label on Duke. Boston is similar this year with a lot of Duke teams in that, they have players that excel at both shooting the 3 and dribble penetration. Even Horford and Olynyk are competent at this, going to the small lineup has really befuddled Chicago and Washington. Speaking of small lineups, whay happened to Gerald Green, he's back on the bench, strange to say the least. Didn't hear of an injury. Was shocked at how the Rockets thumped the Spurs. Know it's only one game, but two things stood out to me, Spurs appeared to have limited scoring options and lacked the speed/ athleticism of the Rockets. They really need this game to overcome that first butt kicking, but I'll be pulling for the Rockets.

Last edited:
LeBron is playing out of his mind right now. He had 39pts last night on only 14 shots. His efficiency and the impact he makes on a game are incredible.

LeBron is playing out of his mind right now. He had 39pts last night on only 14 shots. His efficiency and the impact he makes on a game are incredible.
Who? Lol
I think we all know where these playoffs are headed, I'm just ignoring the Cavs and the Warriors until we have to address them, lol.

John damn Wall, sooo close to pulling out that road win. Oh well, hopefully we can shake that shot off, although now I feel the pressure in on the C's. James damn Harden, wtf?
Bobcat, Rockets with the same issues the Boston has in playoffs, rebounding and defense. Really feel for the Houston fans, Spurs always find a way it seems.

Over Under for the conference finals:

1.5 games for the Spurs

1.5 games for the Celtics/Wizards winner

I'll take the under for both (I'd consider the under on 1/2 game for the Spurs).

Heck of a comeback by Golden State today. No way the Spurs can win without both Parker and Kawhi.

After that collapse, I'd be pretty surprised if game 2 was competitive. Game 3 might be the Spurs' best chance at winning a game. At this point, I'd bet a sweep is more likely than not.

Great 24 hours for the Celtics - follow up a Game 7 win with snagging the #1 pick in the draft.

Great that we got the first pick, but jeez, followed that with two stinkers against Cleveland. We have a mental thing with the Cavs, can't hit the broad side of a barn. I think LeBron's confidence is contagious with their team, whereas IT just has been a shell of himself and I think the team normally feeds off his confidence. Speaking of needing a miracle, the Spurs are looking to Jesus as we speak.

Shocked that the Celtics managed to pull off a win in game 3 last night; without IT, I'd written the series off as a sweep.

Shocked that the Celtics managed to pull off a win in game 3 last night; without IT, I'd written the series off as a sweep.

So had I.

In fact, I was wishing they would just make next year a best of 101 b/w the Warriors and Cavs (82 game regular season + 12 game conference playoffs + best of 7 finals). Have the others play for 3rd. Be more entertaining that this year and the pretending that anyone other than the Cavs and Warriors were playing for the title. I'm sure someone will say something about how the Rockets did just that to the Lakers in 86 to end the thought, but still -> the Lakers and Celts did meet in the finals in 84, 85 and 87 -> as close a parallel to the current NBA as I can think of.

I turned it off in disgust after we had fallen behind by 20 in the 3rd period, glad the team had more faith in themselves than I did. Stevens' wholesale substituting early in this game is something he did throughout the season with good results. Green, Jerebko, Jalen Brown, Rozier, Zeller all made contributions. They defended LeBron about as good as they could.
It's a shame the Spurs weren't at full strength, they might have made it interesting for a game or two.

Whelp, if only Lebron were MJ, he might have a shot at more titles. Instead hes reffed like Vlade Divac, truly historic

After LeBron's performance in the loss and the criticism that came with it, I'll put the O/U on his points scored at 36 and take the over.

Pretty good - as he got 34, but not sure you'd have thought Kyrie would get 42, but still shows how important it is to have a 2nd all NBA type guy now in order to win games at this point of the playoffs. Plus with Love's 17, the rest of the Cavs only got 19.

Boston's guys did over perform with Bradley getting 19, Crowder 18 and Horford 16. Problem is with Thomas out they needed to make up those ~ 30 points. Even if you say they got 12 of them from those 3 guys, need others to make up the remaining 18 plus because I figure you need a min. of 115 to win (yes it was 113 tonight). 115 needs to be the target to win a game, 120 against the Warriors IMO.

Celts certainly miss IT, but theyre much harder to guard without him and have better ball movement.
They just swing to open shooter now, unpredictable.
Kyrie hasn't had a good playoffs but huge game last night

I wonder if the Celts trade IT with his stock being so high right now. You can't play Fultz, IT, and Bradley together and IT is such a liability on defense. Would IT and Crowder be enough to get Jimmy Butler? IT and next years Nets pick?

Last edited:
Great question, but as someone who spends time regularly in Boston, the fans would not stand for moving Isaiah, they adore him. I can't believe Ainge wants to pay him max next year but if he plays great again i think they will.

I actually think Ball makes sense to draft because of that, he'll report, despite what his loony dad says.

I wonder if the Celts trade IT with his stock being so high right now. You can't play Fultz, IT, and Bradley together and IT is such a liability on offense. Would IT and Crowder be enough to get Jimmy Butler? IT and next years Nets pick?
Don't know how high his stock really is. He still is limited and that showed when the Celts played better when he went out. I certainly don't think Boston wants to give him $200mil.

No way Boston gives him a max deal. He'll be 29 y/o next year so he's not going to get better and once his quickness declines slightly he could fall off considerably. You say Boston fans wouldn't stand for it to trade him, they would get over that pretty quickly if it made them a better team. You trot out a team next year with Fultz, Bradley, Jimmy Butler, Horford and maybe one other high level FA and you might put a scare into the Cavs. Alternatively you keep IT, draft Fultz, sign Hayward, and slide Bradley to the bench. That would be a very good team, but still not at the Cavs level I don't think.

Pretty sure the Celts will try (and got a good chance to succeed) in signing Gordon Hayward as a FA this summer.

Great question, but as someone who spends time regularly in Boston, the fans would not stand for moving Isaiah, they adore him. I can't believe Ainge wants to pay him max next year but if he plays great again i think they will.

I actually think Ball makes sense to draft because of that, he'll report, despite what his loony dad says.
You're scaring me, but heard Pimp daddy has no interest in having his prized possession play for the C's, he wants him in LA, which is fine with me. Quaz's scenario could come to fruition. Just another money player{Hayward}, our first round pick, whether we trade it or not, along with the continued maturation will draw us closer to championship contention.

Last edited:
Admittedly I don't watch near as much NBA as I used to. Was happy my Celtics made the finals and knowing they would not beat the Cavs made watching that series bearable.

Now I know everyone talks about the officiating in the NBA but dang how are they going to call this series. There were so many bad non-calls I stopped counting and somewhere along the line I guess throwing people around and using your shoulder to drive through your opponent became legal.

The Golden State Curried Durants lead the Love LeBrons 3 games to zilch, bit of a surprise. Is it just me or are the Cavs poorly coached? The last 7 minutes or so of game 3 the Cavs looked totally lost. Oh well, I don't really have a dog in the hunt, but I'd rather see the Warriors prevail, just because I'm so stinking tired of the LeBron love.

To me the Cavs look like they went brain dead and forgot how to play the game in those last minutes when they gave up the lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT