ADVERTISEMENT

Need recco from all-knowing locker room regarding online insurance co.'s

Spenser1

Seminole Insider
Aug 31, 2002
Hey there! Well, my car/house insurance company (a large national firm with several local offices here in Tally) has recently increased our payment by 10%, with another 10% increase on the way when my wife's car is renewed. And we have zero claims on the house and only a few on our cars over 30 years of being with them. I asked them what's with the big increases, and their answer basically was, 'because we can.'

So I started thinking, why do I need to pay for their (very) fancy local offices and many employees, when almost all of my business with them has been over the phone or online. They must have a HUGE overhead which "I" am paying for. :~(

Does anyone have any experience with the online insurance companies, and if so, what have your experiences been? If I can find one that y'all are happy with, I'm gonna switch and probably save a bunch of $$ (that remains to be seen, but seems likely).

Thanks in advance to the all-knowing Locker Room!
DC1972

I switched to Geico for car insurance last year and saved a lot of money. Id get house insurance with them but we have a Rottie so that wasn't going to work.

Eventually we combined auto and home with another carrier but Geico was very good in my experience and they were easy to deal with even when we cancelled.

Depending on how old you are, you might check The Hartford through AARP. I got a great rate on our motorhome. Half the price of Progressive.

Depending on how old you are, you might check The Hartford through AARP. I got a great rate on our motorhome. Half the price of Progressive.
thanks for all the replies! And yes, I AM old enough. :~)

I switched to Geico for car insurance last year and saved a lot of money. Id get house insurance with them but we have a Rottie so that wasn't going to work.

Eventually we combined auto and home with another carrier but Geico was very good in my experience and they were easy to deal with even when we cancelled.
So Geico won't insure you because of a Rottie? I wonder if other breeds are ok.

Online companies have just as much or more overhead than brick and mortars. Geico spent a billion on advertising. All carriers rates go up and down over time. Just shop every few years and you'll be fine.

Hey there! Well, my car/house insurance company (a large national firm with several local offices here in Tally) has recently increased our payment by 10%, with another 10% increase on the way when my wife's car is renewed. And we have zero claims on the house and only a few on our cars over 30 years of being with them. I asked them what's with the big increases, and their answer basically was, 'because we can.'

So I started thinking, why do I need to pay for their (very) fancy local offices and many employees, when almost all of my business with them has been over the phone or online. They must have a HUGE overhead which "I" am paying for. :~(

Does anyone have any experience with the online insurance companies, and if so, what have your experiences been? If I can find one that y'all are happy with, I'm gonna switch and probably save a bunch of $$ (that remains to be seen, but seems likely).

Thanks in advance to the all-knowing Locker Room!
DC1972

Sounds like you have State Farm just like I do.

Progressive. I pay like 550 total every 6 months for me and the wife. Works out to like 45 bucks a driver per month

State Farm you are going to see rates go up quite a lot the next few years country wide. They reported a $7 billion loss last year so now needing to increase rates. I recently switched from Geico to Allstate and they have been pretty good. You could check out Florida Farm to do both home and auto. If okay with having your policies with different carriers try Tower Hill Prime Insurance for the home.

State Farm you are going to see rates go up quite a lot the next few years country wide. They reported a $7 billion loss last year so now needing to increase rates. I recently switched from Geico to Allstate and they have been pretty good. You could check out Florida Farm to do both home and auto. If okay with having your policies with different carriers try Tower Hill Prime Insurance for the home.
Did you have a probem with Geico?

Everyone's rates are going to go up in FL. Tower Hill already has over 50k claims from Irma and their financial strength rating just went to a negative outlook, although they are still AM Best rated A which is better than most in FL.

State Farm 2 vehicles
Geico for the kids' 2 vehicles.
I kept SF because my house ins. is through them.
The price for the kid's ins. is about 1/2-1/3 the price quoted by SF and most of the other ins. comp.
The biggest negative SF could come up with against Geico is I wouldn't have the 'relationship' like I have with SF. I thought that was rather comical since I may speak to the secretary 2x a year..

That's just such BS. They used the same logic after 2004 to jack rates up substantially, and then not a single major hurricane struck the US in 10 years. They are making money hand over fist. They want to shed all their homeowners in FLA and keep the auto. Shop elsewhere.

I am with Florida Farm Bureau and they have good rates. I also have relatives in the company, but that doesn't affect my rate other than them putting me into the best policy.

Amica costs me way more than Farm Bureau on auto insurance.

On the other hand, it seems like the original poster was seeking commercial insurance. In that case an independent broker may be best.

That's just such BS. They used the same logic after 2004 to jack rates up substantially, and then not a single major hurricane struck the US in 10 years. They are making money hand over fist. They want to shed all their homeowners in FLA and keep the auto. Shop elsewhere.

Correct. They'll say they lost $ (which they did). What they fail to mention is their rainy day fund which they have been stacking them checks for the last decade so while it was a bad year. They're still way up and will also jack rates up and tell you this fall b.s. nonsense.

* Note I work for an E&S Insurance carrier.

I know just saying how they will try and justify it! I had Geico for about 6 years. Was really happy with Geico till my last two renewal terms had a increase of $800 total. Ended up switching to Allstate who came out way less.

I saved a ridiculous amount switching from Allstate to Geico a year ago on car insurance. Bundling insurance is hard in Florida because a lot of large chains don't sell home insurance here. I had great success on our home owners insurance the last 14 years going through an independent agent here in town (Cheryl Bryan).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT