ADVERTISEMENT

Netflex recommendations.

RUBFSU

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Any “new” shows you guys recommend? I trust your judgement. You all have done me good in the past.

Seems like the foreign films have taken over. I watched “the rain” a while back, wasn’t bad, but it depends how desperate you are to watch something.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Drug Lords ( documentary)
Get Shorty
Narcos, Mexico
An innocent man (documentary)

So I binged a new show called Perfume. German show, so skip it if you don't do subtitles. Or, Netflix probably provides an English dub, but those are usually awful.

It's not for everyone, it's extremely lurid/dark, and pretty bonkers if you're really set on realism in the storyline. But it's played serious as hell, looks really good visually, and the central mystery was strong enough to keep me hooked. If I had to guess, I'd say they were going for a German version of a True Detective season if I had to compare it to something. Pretty heavy on the sex if that's your thing.

If you like typical twisty UK/European thrillers and do subtitles, I'd give it a go. Although, like other German series I've seen, everyone looks the same and everything looks like it could be a last name or a first name, and it has a current/flashback structure that makes it hard as hell to figure out who is who for a while. It's nowhere near as convoluted and with as many characters as Dark, if you watched that. But I ended up a few episodes in still trying to figure out who was who.

Drug Lords ( documentary)
Get Shorty
Narcos, Mexico
An innocent man (documentary)

I will see the 2 docs. I’ve seen the others and they ate good.

Nole Lou you know I loved you. But I’m not sold. So I will see!

I will see the 2 docs. I’ve seen the others and they ate good.

Nole Lou you know I loved you. But I’m not sold. So I will see!

Loved, -ed? Et tu Rube.

But I answered before realizing who the original poster is. No, I do not think I would have recommended Perfume to a man of God.

I really, really thought the documentary The Man in Black meets Tricky Dick, or whatever the Johnny Cash-Richard Nixon documentary was called, was really well done. I thought it captured the dichotomy of Johnny Cash really well. He was really a man of contradictions. Some in the documentary portray the political bent of Cash as trying to "have it both ways" and play both sides, but I really truly think he was someone who could hold two divergent character traits without reconciliation. Whether that be his earnest faith combined with his darkness, his love for June with his infidelity, etc.

I mean, there are a lot of people for whom things like that can be just summed up with the word "hypocrite", but to me, Cash was a little different, he seemed earnest in all ways. I've always been intrigued by that aspect about him, and the subject matter of this documentary definitely leaned into that part of him.

So let me recommend that instead!

Also, to suggest a political documentary for someone that might be sick of politics, "Best of Enemies" was really, really good. Good portrait of a totally different time in our media and politics. Subject matter might sound boring, but it's really not if you are even remotely interested in media and politics and how things were once different, as well as being a good profile of two truly influential media giants who have largely been swept aside by recent history. I enjoyed it because it was made before the last presidential election, and so isn't a ham-handed attempt to reframe something something that had it's own significance as a commentary on our specific current political landscape. It's pretty much impossible to find anything dealing with political subjects, no matter how removed, that isn't using a sledgehammer to try to retrofit it with "important lessons" for our current time.

Reactions: squiffynole
I really enjoyed The Rain and Perfume. We are starting Pine Gap and Bad Blood today. We binged the new Watership Down series, as well, the last couple of days, and it’s really lovely.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Anybody tried Tidelands? The teaser looks a little intriguing, but also looks like it could be stupid. Trying not to read too much about it ahead of time though if I want to watch it.

I really enjoyed The Rain and Perfume. We are starting Pine Gap and Bad Blood today. We binged the new Watership Down series, as well, the last couple of days, and it’s really lovely.

I've dabbled a little in Bad Blood. Not sure what to make of it exactly. I'm kind of a tough judge on mobster stuff. I feel like there's some good stuff there, but there's also a little bit of stereotypical, straight-to-video type mafia pastiche in the performances and writing. It's just kind of corny, which it shouldn't be, as the story is relatively down to earth. It's more just the way it's done, it comes off as cheesy to me.

I'll probably keep popping in on it from time to time when I'm between things to see if it grabs me.

Anybody tried Tidelands? The teaser looks a little intriguing, but also looks like it could be stupid. Trying not to read too much about it ahead of time though if I want to watch it.
My partner is a sucker for all Australian eye candy, and she loves Elsa Pataky. We are several episodes into Tidelands, and it is good silly fun. Reminds me a bit of Haven.

Reactions: daveynole
My partner is a sucker for all Australian eye candy, and she loves Elsa Pataky. We are several episodes into Tidelands, and it is good silly fun. Reminds me a bit of Haven.

Thanks! Good silly fun is not necessarily my TV wheelhouse, sounds like the quality is solid, I'll maybe give it a spin.

Babylon Berkin

Watched two episodes of Bad Blood, thought it sucked.

Last edited:
It has boobs in like the first five minutes...
giphy.gif

Legit question: how does a “partner” differentiate from boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife? I assume there is some legal way?

Legit question: how does a “partner” differentiate from boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife? I assume there is some legal way?
I do not use the term to imply any sort of legal differentiation for my relationship. I use the term because it does not exclude any gender identity, sexual/romantic orientation, or legal status. It’s just a really easy characterization.

I do not use the term to imply any sort of legal differentiation for my relationship. I use the term because it does not exclude any gender identity, sexual/romantic orientation, or legal status. It’s just a really easy characterization.
Interesting. I thought maybe it had some legal bearing in terms of insurance or taxes or something along those lines but I hadn’t heard of anyone using the term. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: RTM58
I've enjoyed Travelers. The third season was just released.

Travelers 3 seasons, 34 episodes
It’s a light sci-fi drama about people from hundreds of years in the future whose consciences are sent back to the present day to take the place of others who are already about to die. They’re sent back, a la Terminator, to prevent a bleak future from taking place. In the present day, this group of people is tasked with missions to prevent the future dystopia from happening, but they also have to acclimate into the lives of their host bodies. It is a quintessential Netflix show: Easy-to-binge, madly addictive, fun as hell, and immediately engrossing.

Tidelands is tough to stay with....
Netflix’s Tidelands was tailor-made for a nudity-based drinking game

Tidelands is cut from the supernatural-soap-opera mold that has become a CW signature, but because it’s Netflix, it can include nudity. So there’s a lot of it. There are shots of Tidelanders picking up barrels of drugs from the ocean floor, while wearing only bikini bottoms. There’s Cal, wondering if she might be a Tidelander, stripping down to test her water-breathing in the tub. For equal-opportunity eye candy, there’s also a scene where Augie removes his sleeveless shirt and the camera zooms in on his muscles, right before he dons another sleeveless shirt.

And then there’s the sex, which creator Stephen M. Irwin sometimes uses like Game of Thrones’ notorious sexposition, though sometimes it’s just a throwaway transition between scenes.

Tidelands is trash TV, but it’s the type of entertaining trash that’s sure to find an audience who will love it for exactly what it is. It’s the sunny television equivalent of a beach read, a perfect escapist fantasy for getting through the worst of winter.

Interesting. I thought maybe it had some legal bearing in terms of insurance or taxes or something along those lines but I hadn’t heard of anyone using the term. Thanks for clarifying.

Almost 23k posts and you seem new to this place and its inhabitants. Keep your gloves up.

Last edited:
Oops Nole Lou I meant Love not loved. Thanks for your info. I will have to check it out.

You said “she” in the Christmas loot thread?
I got us a new TV, Xbox, and FireStick. She got us a new burr coffee grinder and a monthly subscription for Compelling coffee.

My wife and I have a TLC* partnership.

* Total Liability Corporation - it's always my fault.

RTM, I concur with your Travelers recommendation. I've almost finished season 3, and the series still holds my interest.

UCLA, if your partner is into Aussie tv, check out Wanted. Three seasons of six episodes each (so far). A really enjoyable crime and corruption story in which two very dissimilar women find themselves being chased all around Australia by cops and criminals.

Good summary @RTM58 , I'll probably check both of those out. Was re-watching Hell on Wheels just for something to watch.

So I binged a new show called Perfume. German show, so skip it if you don't do subtitles. Or, Netflix probably provides an English dub, but those are usually awful.

It's not for everyone, it's extremely lurid/dark, and pretty bonkers if you're really set on realism in the storyline. But it's played serious as hell, looks really good visually, and the central mystery was strong enough to keep me hooked. If I had to guess, I'd say they were going for a German version of a True Detective season if I had to compare it to something. Pretty heavy on the sex if that's your thing.

If you like typical twisty UK/European thrillers and do subtitles, I'd give it a go. Although, like other German series I've seen, everyone looks the same and everything looks like it could be a last name or a first name, and it has a current/flashback structure that makes it hard as hell to figure out who is who for a while. It's nowhere near as convoluted and with as many characters as Dark, if you watched that. But I ended up a few episodes in still trying to figure out who was who.

Ok, this is crazy. When I wrote this hearty recommendation yesterday, I had actually binged all but the last several minutes of the series, thanks to falling asleep the night before.

I went home yesterday, watched the last bit, and I think I rescind my recommendation. At least I back off of it a little bit until further reflection. Very ambivalent now.

I've enjoyed Travelers. The third season was just released.

Travelers 3 seasons, 34 episodes
It’s a light sci-fi drama about people from hundreds of years in the future whose consciences are sent back to the present day to take the place of others who are already about to die. They’re sent back, a la Terminator, to prevent a bleak future from taking place. In the present day, this group of people is tasked with missions to prevent the future dystopia from happening, but they also have to acclimate into the lives of their host bodies. It is a quintessential Netflix show: Easy-to-binge, madly addictive, fun as hell, and immediately engrossing.

Tidelands is tough to stay with....
Netflix’s Tidelands was tailor-made for a nudity-based drinking game

Tidelands is cut from the supernatural-soap-opera mold that has become a CW signature, but because it’s Netflix, it can include nudity. So there’s a lot of it. There are shots of Tidelanders picking up barrels of drugs from the ocean floor, while wearing only bikini bottoms. There’s Cal, wondering if she might be a Tidelander, stripping down to test her water-breathing in the tub. For equal-opportunity eye candy, there’s also a scene where Augie removes his sleeveless shirt and the camera zooms in on his muscles, right before he dons another sleeveless shirt.

And then there’s the sex, which creator Stephen M. Irwin sometimes uses like Game of Thrones’ notorious sexposition, though sometimes it’s just a throwaway transition between scenes.

Tidelands is trash TV, but it’s the type of entertaining trash that’s sure to find an audience who will love it for exactly what it is. It’s the sunny television equivalent of a beach read, a perfect escapist fantasy for getting through the worst of winter.

Almost 23k posts and you seem new to this place and its inhabitants. Keep your gloves up.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

RTM, I concur with your Travelers recommendation. I've almost finished season 3, and the series still holds my interest.

UCLA, if your partner is into Aussie tv, check out Wanted. Three seasons of six episodes each (so far). A really enjoyable crime and corruption story in which two very dissimilar women find themselves being chased all around Australia by cops and criminals.
Thanks, we will check it out. She also really liked Travelers.

ADVERTISEMENT