ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Defenders... Who's excited?

Looking forward to it. I have to finish out Jessica Jones to make sure I have the full background.

I'm one that was ok with whole of the IF series. In reading about that set of comics, I found that they amalgamated several characters and plots. Could it have been done better? sure, but in the end it was all setting up for this series.

I'm working my way through the series. Almost done with Jessica Jones and then 3 more series to catch up with before Defenders. Season 1 of Daredevil was outstanding. It's taken me several episodes of JJ to get into it. I saw where Iron Fist has a 17% rotten rating so I'm kind of dreading that especially considering Tribe's comment.

I'm less excited than curious, maybe a little apprehensive. Daredevil 1 and JJ were outstanding, but the others ranged from okay to awful.

My understanding is it's eight episodes before they go back to their individual series.

I did not watch Iron Fist after everyone on here and everywhere else said how crappy it was... Should I watch it before I watch defenders?

I did not watch Iron Fist after everyone on here and everywhere else said how crappy it was... Should I watch it before I watch defenders?

No, it's really terrible. Like worse than the worst CW shows (Legends of Tomorrow) level bad. The only even semi-redeeming quality is that the three actors who play the are they the rich bad guys or aren't they family people are actually good. But the lead actor and his eventual girlfriend are truly terrible both at acting AND in the fight scenes. So forget about all of those 5* Daredevil Fights and even 3-4* Jessica Jones fights, these are 1* worse than the lowest of low broadcast tv fights really more equivalent to fan fiction. I'm HOPING that in between Iron Fist and the Defenders that the lead actor took some acting classes as well as martial arts training. That or they just kill him off in minute two of episode one.

Just read my short spoiler filled synopsis it's got all you need to know.

Danny Rand is an orphaned billionaire just like Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and a million other comic book characters. Basically he was an only child flying with his parents when their plane crashed somewhere in China. His billionaire parents died but he was rescued by group of Kung fu monks of a mysterious and magical ancient city in the mountains of China called Kun Lun.

Rather than return him as the location of Kun Lun must be kept secret (they're enemies of the Hand the evil Ninja group Daredevil keeps fighting in NYC as well as many other evil factions and individuals), the Kun Lun monks train him in their kung fu ways. As the rich white guy is ALWAYS the best whether it's being a samurai or a Native American, he is immediately the best kung fu artist. So good in fact he defeats a millenias old dragon in hand to hand combat (not shown as that MIGHT be cool, just talked about offhand as in "Hey remember that time you beat up a dragon using your Kung fu? Good times!") and gains the ability of channeling his chi into his hand so that he can be super strong and powerful in punches as well as block bullets, heal people etc. He's got a little magical hand to go with his allegedly super awesome kung fu (which actually looks like criznap). He is declared the prophesized saviour ala Anakin Skywalker who will save them from the Hand and everything else bad in the world.

So for literally no reason they bother explaining, Danny Rand/Iron Fist just says "Peace! I'm out!" And leaves Kun Lun to return to NYC. For no reason. Let me stress that.

So he shows up to his Dads multinational company looking like a hobo and says "Tada! I'm Danny Rand!" But immediately gets thrown out by the CEO who happens to be an old child hood friend.

So hobo penniless Danny Rand roams around NYC until he runs into a beautiful (but completely awful actress and martial artist) woman who runs a martial arts studio for poor inner city youths and says "let me stay with you and I'll clean up and teach you more Kung fu." Eventually in a boring and completely unbelievable romantic subplot they become boning partners even though his childhood sweetheart is the more obvious romantic partner.

So while shacking up with his love interest, he stalks his former childhood sweetheart who is the sister of the CEO and eventually convinces her that it's really Danny Rand. She swoons for him but they don't bone because Danny Rand is a moron. Danny becomes the new primary shareholder of the board and discovers the CEO and his high school sweethearts Dad (who is Rands fathers best friend) is still alive. So they all become best buds except the CEO not so secretly loathing Iron Fist.

So that's the setup. The actual main plot is too convoluted and frankly stupid to get into but basically Danny Rand's company is working with/for the Hand and he discovers it. There's lots of incredibly lame kung fu versus ninja fights. Simultaneously there's some constantly shifting allegiances as first the CEO's Dad is helping Iron fist but then he tells his son it's because the Hand wants him but secretly he's a double agent who wants to protect Danny from the Hand by pretending to be close to him but nah he's actually a triple agent just doing it as a ploy to get closer to Danny but nah again he's actually a quadruple agent who DOES want to help Danny with his Hand problem. It's so stupid just thinking about it. But THEN you add in that Danny Rands love interest the king fu chick is ACTUALLY an agent of the Hand as well and was sent to convert him BUT his boning was too good and he instead converts her to his side after he discovers her inevitable betrayal.

Blech. Just stupid betrayals within betrayals but not done well like GOT, done poorly like a Mexican soap opera. And lots of terribly done fight scenes. I'm sparing you a LOT of wasted time.

The end result of this constant betrayal is 1) Danny gets kicked off the company because he's terrible for business shutting down good Hand profit centres, 2) Danny and his double agent girlfriend from the good boning team up with some friend of Danny who shows up two episodes from the end who is a fighter from Kun Lun sent to retrieve him back to Kun Lun manage to defeat the Hand subboss in their part of Manhattan, 3) they discover the Hand can bring people back to life but every time they do there's less humanity and more demon, 4) the CEO kills his own father because of his jealously of Danny and the constant lying by his Dad about what side he was on, 5) Danny never bones his cute childhood sweetheart and basically abandons her never to be talked about again although her company is clearly still in league with the Hand, and 6) after defeating their little group of the Hand, Danny, his double agent girlfriend and Kun Lun friend who showed up out of nowhere try to return to KunLun but where the temple city/monastery used to be is just a giant nuked hole in the ground.

That's it, that's all you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: peezy28
I liked Daredevil pretty well, but the others I found just too damn boring. Jessica Jones less so, but even then I got tired of it before the end. Even for some stretches Daredevil was a bit of a slog, but never for so long I abandoned it.

I'm hoping they hang the whole thing on the main Daredevil continuity so I'll be able to catch on.

Reactions: nynole1
[/SPOILER]

Thank you for that... I will not watch but probably do what I call speed watching by basically fast forwarding through maybe like 3 or 4 episodes just to get the scenery of it all down and the people place things... I can probably finish that in about 2 hours and not waste what was it 12 hours watching this BS... Thank you... I owe you a beer next time your in Pinellas County or something.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
supposedly the Iron Fist parts are much better done in this series from the early previews I read. He apparently matches up well with Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

supposedly the Iron Fist parts are much better done in this series from the early previews I read. He apparently matches up well with Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

Well he literally couldn't be worse. It felt like I was watching a fan fic or at best a Syfy made for TV movie.

I mean check out this "best kung fu artist so good he beat a fricking dragon with his bare hands" fight.

That's not even the worst one. By any stretch.

Last edited:
Some more side by side comparisons of Daredevil (who is supposed to "just" be a decent martial artist but by no means the best, he's just "tough" like his father the former pro boxer and able to take a beating) and Iron Fist (who is supposed to be the world's greatest martial artist).

I liked iron fist. It was lighter hearted than the other series. The fighting style was less brutal. The story was simple. Very much a comic book story.

I liked iron fist. It was lighter hearted than the other series. The fighting style was less brutal. The story was simple. Very much a comic book story.
To me everything in Iron Fist was good except the Iron Fist. I really enjoyed the other characters, I just got bored everytime it centered on him too long.

Supposedly much of this is corrected in the Defenders. We'll know soon enough since it's out now. I don't know when I'll have time to watch it, but I'm certain some people will have updates up shortly.

To me everything in Iron Fist was good except the Iron Fist. I really enjoyed the other characters, I just got bored everytime it centered on him too long.

Supposedly much of this is corrected in the Defenders. We'll know soon enough since it's out now. I don't know when I'll have time to watch it, but I'm certain some people will have updates up shortly.

Well the opening scene is a bad fight and terrible acting from Iron Fist so....I haven't made it past that first scene yet. Literally stopped it to post this.

I finished the first episode and I loved the scenes with Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but again the Iron Fist stuff just annoyed me. Hopefully the rest of the episodes get better.

In through three episodes and no surprise, Daredevil is the only character I really care about. Luke Cage isn't bad, but the other two are horrible with Iron First being nearly unwatchable.

After watching Defenders, I hope they scrap Iron Fist and Luke Cage as individual series and just start a series with the two of them. They paired really well. They made each other more interesting. Cage offset Danny's child like personal. Danny made Cage's personality really pop on screen.

Just made it through 1.5 episodes and it was a real slog. But I read that the first three are pretty dull, but it gets good, so I'll push on.

Have just watched the first two episodes. Didn't watch Iron Fist because of its reputation, and if Danny was as whiny and dumb in that, I see why the series wasn't loved.

Was Sand Snake Colleen what kept him alive in the first series? She certainly seemed to be the brains for both of them.

Have just watched the first two episodes. Didn't watch Iron Fist because of its reputation, and if Danny was as whiny and dumb in that, I see why the series wasn't loved.

Was Sand Snake Colleen what kept him alive in the first series? She certainly seemed to be the brains for both of them.
Danny was infinitely worse in his stand alone series.

Made it through the fourth episode last night. Definitely takes a big turn for the better by the end of episode 3...really pretty excruciating before that. Really enjoyed that. Hope it continues to hold that quality.

Them together is way better than their individual series. These characters are way better playing off each other. Daredevil didn't suffer for it because Foggy and Karen really were strong supporting characters for Murdock to bounce off of. But I way like the other characters as a team way more than I did in their individual runs.

At least for a couple episodes, this actually turned into a fun action series, which has rarely been the case through the individual series.

Made it through the fourth episode last night. Definitely takes a big turn for the better by the end of episode 3...really pretty excruciating before that. Really enjoyed that. Hope it continues to hold that quality.

Them together is way better than their individual series. These characters are way better playing off each other. Daredevil didn't suffer for it because Foggy and Karen really were strong supporting characters for Murdock to bounce off of. But I way like the other characters as a team way more than I did in their individual runs.

At least for a couple episodes, this actually turned into a fun action series, which has rarely been the case through the individual series.
The funny thing is I loved everything about the Iron Fist show except for the Iron Fist. All the supporting cast had really interesting characters except for Danny who I just wanted to die. I'm really hoping that what I've heard from others, that it gets much stronger once they're together is true.

The funny thing is I loved everything about the Iron Fist show except for the Iron Fist. All the supporting cast had really interesting characters except for Danny who I just wanted to die. I'm really hoping that what I've heard from others, that it gets much stronger once they're together is true.

I definitely started really enjoying it. To be fair, I didn't watch enough to Luke Cage or Iron Fist to dismiss all the characters like that. I like Sigourney Weaver's character, which I'm assuming was imported from Iron Fist.

I was specifically talking about the fact that to me, only Daredevil had really compelling "partners" in their own series for me. But I find them compelling partnered up now. Especially Jessica Jones...I liked the character a lot anyway, but to me it's a much better fit in this mix than her just walking around acting like a jerk to everyone in her own show.

I definitely started really enjoying it. To be fair, I didn't watch enough to Luke Cage or Iron Fist to dismiss all the characters like that. I like Sigourney Weaver's character, which I'm assuming was imported from Iron Fist.

I was specifically talking about the fact that to me, only Daredevil had really compelling "partners" in their own series for me. But I find them compelling partnered up now. Especially Jessica Jones...I liked the character a lot anyway, but to me it's a much better fit in this mix than her just walking around acting like a jerk to everyone in her own show.

I loved Luke Cage except that it was about 4 episodes too long. Claire Temple becomes the major supporting cast there and her chemistry with Luke was fantastic.

I believe the Sigourney Weaver character was all new created for the Defenders series.

I loved Luke Cage except that it was about 4 episodes too long. Claire Temple becomes the major supporting cast there and her chemistry with Luke was fantastic.

Yeah, Luke Cage was great UNTIL Cornell/Cottonmouth was axed. The problem was the ultimate "big bad" was nowhere near as interesting as the "midstage boss".

Reactions: nynole1 and peezy28
Yeah, Luke Cage was great UNTIL Cornell/Cottonmouth was axed. The problem was the ultimate "big bad" was nowhere near as interesting as the "midstage boss".
Agreed. The series should have ended there. The final boss was about as uninteresting to me as Danny Rand is to me.

Through five episodes and JJ is completely unbearable.

ADVERTISEMENT