ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix-The Staircase

SPOILER: Might have been lumped with the "Making a Murderer" threads. I don't watch much TV but this got me hooked pretty good.

IMO about a 20% chance he did commit murder but absolutely no way to convict him based upon the evidence. Great series...I preferred it to Making a Murderer because of the courtroom footage and detail.

It was soooo long. I feel like they could have done it in half the time.

I am not sure whether he did it or not, but I feel the forensic evidence was extremely bias and fraudulent. I don't think the previous case should have been let in.

I think the judge did a great job of owning his faults.

Reactions: dmm5157
Massive spoilers moving forward. Abort if you haven’t watched and go watch, it’s the best murder mystery documentary out there imo.

It was soooo long. I feel like they could have done it in half the time.
SPOILER: JMO but I think the length really helped. Unless the director was completely biased, all the footage shows him in enough states of mood and circumstance to see what type of character/temper he really has. Peterson is either a tremendous liar, the director is tremendously one-sided, or he's innocent. Without enough time you wouldn't be able to get to that level of analysis.

Reactions: DanC78
I think there is a small chance he did it. The body in Germany is insane and hard to ignore. If that wasn’t part of his past, I’d say innocent.

The owl theory that I read after the fact is the craiziest, but most plausible explanation, at least based on what I have read it’s the most plausible.

Long story short. Feathers from an owl were found in her hair, the hair that she had in her hand, that was ripped out of her head....I believe that is where it was found.

What are the odds of that??

SPOILER: JMO but I think the length really helped. Unless the director was completely biased, all the footage shows him in enough states of mood and circumstance to see what type of character/temper he really has. Peterson is either a tremendous liar, the director is tremendously one-sided, or he's innocent. Without enough time you wouldn't be able to get to that level of analysis.

I agree.

There is also a tendency for me to feel that I am being mislead when watching documentaries. You just never really know if it’s teuly unbiased or slanted.

But in this documentary, I didn’t feel like I was mislead when the judge confirmed in the last episode that he in fact used poor judgement by allowing the sexuality and German past of the suspect into the da case, and that he thought he would have been found not guilty if he handled better. That was a very impactful statement for me to hear.

I want to think he done it but there is just not a chance that I as a juror could have convicted him I don't think. I thought the defense did a brilliant job in creating reasonable doubt. From the first episode, I thought he was 100% guilty, by the time the court recessed and jury went into deliberation, I was about 20% certain.

Owl theory is the only plausible explanation to create those lacerations on her head without causing some sort of bruise, cracked skull, etc.

Divide his air time /his life time and you are going to tell me it's a judge of his temperament ?

I teach and am around kids 9 hours a day, and many of you have met me. Neither you or the students know me.

I think there is a small chance he did it. The body in Germany is insane and hard to ignore. If that wasn’t part of his past, I’d say innocent.

The owl theory that I read after the fact is the craiziest, but most plausible explanation, at least based on what I have read it’s the most plausible.

Long story short. Feathers from an owl were found in her hair, the hair that she had in her hand, that was ripped out of her head....I believe that is where it was found.

What are the odds of that??
Interesting. I'd say the odds of that are higher than if he used a blowpoke to cause fatal wounds but not skull fractures or other obvious collateral damage.

For me, the biomechanist and blood splatter experts were more than enough...not even getting into the falsified evidence.

Last edited:
Divide his air time /his life time and you are going to tell me it's a judge of his temperament ?

I teach and am around kids 9 hours a day, and many of you have met me. Neither you or the students know me.

With keen insight you can tell most anything about someone from a few instances: how they handle authority/power, how they handle undue stress, and how they treat the vulnerable of this planet. We do this in weeding out our potential athletes/clients all the time.

Watch closely, it's all there. His voice inflection, hand gestures, the way he looks at his family, treats the prison guards, reacts to obviously unfair legal decisions, etc. So he is either A) legit, B) a schizo murderer, or C) the documentarians didn't show a whole bunch of other footage. I say if not C, then A. Nobody hides "B" 100% of the time.

With keen insight you can tell most anything about someone from a few instances: how they handle authority/power, how they handle undue stress, and how they treat the vulnerable of this planet. We do this in weeding out our potential athletes/clients all the time.

Watch closely, it's all there. His voice inflection, hand gestures, the way he looks at his family, treats the prison guards, reacts to obviously unfair legal decisions, etc. So he is either A) legit, B) a schizo murderer, or C) the documentarians didn't show a whole bunch of other footage. I say if not C, then A. Nobody hides "B" 100% of the time.
Spoiler: The French documentary director actually dated Michael during the series filming!

My first thought too
Huge Stephen King fan and anxiously awaited the New It. It's my favorite book.

My point was that I am neither teacher Mr.. Hudson nor tailgate Phinhead. Both are parts of me but certainly not the whole.

My favorite word is the F bomb. I certainly don't say it at work.

I dont know how anyone could say he was guilty. I think he could have done it but you have to prove it without a reasonable don't and in now way did they do it.

Reactions: NoleMoreTears
I want to think he done it but there is just not a chance that I as a juror could have convicted him I don't think. I thought the defense did a brilliant job in creating reasonable doubt. From the first episode, I thought he was 100% guilty, by the time the court recessed and jury went into deliberation, I was about 20% certain.

Owl theory is the only plausible explanation to create those lacerations on her head without causing some sort of bruise, cracked skull, etc.

This was pretty much me. The first few episodes, I was convinced he did it. I didn't like his lawyer or his side, I was strongly biased against the defendant.

By the end, I was questioning everything. I think the judge's comments at the end summed it up well: "I could have a reasonable doubt" and you can sense that he was a bit relieved at the outcome.

That Duane Deaver was a real piece of work. If I were a juror and convicted someone based on what I perceived to be factual and provable scientific evidence and it turned out it was actually falsified, I would feel sick to my stomach.

In the end. Michael Peterson's life did get turned upside down and he certainly paid dearly for what happened to his wife, whether he had a hand in it or not.

Well-made series and hard to believe some of the odd occurrences in the series actually happened (the way the main defense lawyer found out about the Germany case and the bi-sexual affairs or attempts, finding the blow poke right before end of trial, the fall-out with SBI, finding out about the photos of investigators with the blow poke prior to the trial, etc.). Wild roller coaster ride, for sure.

I didn't like him at first, viewed him as typical say anything lawyer.

By the end, I was a fan. Really good lawyer, just like with his client he changed my mind.
I’d argue he changed more over the course of the show than anyone. I too didn’t care much for him at first.

Documentaries are almost always slanted. That said, with the information provided in the series, there’s NO WAY he should’ve been convicted.

Super quick thoughts:
- wow, lots of blood.
- still not sure how a fall does that
- da did a POOR job
- wow that “expert witness” is a joke.
- a different dead lady!? Hmm
- WHAT!? They convicted him?!
- oh that makes sense, that expert witness was crooked as hell
- **never liked Peterson, throughout the whole series
-**the sister was coocoo
-**the daughters were weird too

Not in the series: The Owl Theory. Makes as much sense and seems more likely than a random murder.

I’d argue he changed more over the course of the show than anyone. I too didn’t care much for him at first.

I agree. Early on, he seemed to be playing the "this is my job" angle. The case consumed him and made him question the justice system. Early on, I don't think he truly believed Peterson was innocent, he was just another guilty client. By the end, he was spent and shaken.

I think, in the end, Peterson's 8 years in prison were payment for prior sins. Amazing how dramatically he changed, both physically and emotionally, after his time in prison.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Anyone know the reason Bill Peterson was basically non-existent in the five added episodes over the years after being so prominent in the original episodes?

Anyone know the reason Bill Peterson was basically non-existent in the five added episodes over the years after being so prominent in the original episodes?

I was wondering the same thing. Figured he'd either moved away and it wasn't convenient to be there, or he died.

I noticed as well. Maybe over time he had a difficult time coping with some of this brother's past lifestyle choices after hearing all the details.

The daughters really changed from the trial to 8 years later. I cant imagine what they went through in their life. Losing their mom, their new mom being killed, step sister leaving their family, and seeing their adoptive father go to prison for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT