ADVERTISEMENT

New Report On FSU

Will you provide a link?

If it’s what I think you’re referring to, then from what I understand, those programs are no longer at FSU. Maybe someone closer to the University on here may be able to provide some insight.

Stay away from three letter opinion news sources. The health of our nation depends on it.

I read the report. They aren’t making stuff up. It’s all out there if you do the research and I’m finished donating $$ to the university. The people behind this push to indoctrinate our kids are radicals and the end game is to divide us. Get rid of the problem or watch the funds dry up.

I read the report. They aren’t making stuff up. It’s all out there if you do the research and I’m finished donating $$ to the university. The people behind this push to indoctrinate our kids are radicals and the end game is to divide us. Get rid of the problem or watch the funds dry up.
See ya!

Which part to you believe is BS?
The part where it's an opinion piece? It says so at the top.
The part about the $8? Maybe, I was being generous.
Which part to you believe is BS?
The part where it's an opinion piece? It says so at the top.
The part about the $8? Maybe, I was being generous.
Where’s your proof it’s an opinion piece?

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
If it were up to some people, they'd cancel our ethnomusicology department because we have concerts educating people on music of the world. Sheesh. This is over the top, beyond ridiculous.

I can assure you that playing music from another country is not "radicalizing" our kids. Oh, and while we're at it, let's be sure we do not allow our citizens to travel nor live in other countries, nor study in other countries for fear of "radicalization."

My proof? Fox News.
Look above the giant bolded headline. What word is there directly above "State"?
What word is in this link?

FOX is reporting from a report prepared by the same guy who helped takeover the administration of New College. This is not supported by independent journalism. It is a piece intended to support a political narrative in the “culture wars.”

FYI - the dems brought Fox to court for providing incorrect information to the public about the dangers of vaccinations. The court threw it out, citing that Fox is an "entertainment" program and not a "news" station. I haven't read the article yet, as I am not interested in entertaining myself. I have wine for that.

The opinion piece is flat out ridiculous. Yes, there are scholarships that are race based. Frankly, there should be.

I went to an inner city high school that was 92% african american and most families were below the poverty line or right at it. I have been fortunate to have made a couple of bucks so my wife and I endow scholarships so kids from my high school can attend FSU with less of a burden. While it does not exclude white people because the only requirement is economic need, the point of the scholarship is to serve an area that needs it.

OP clearly does not understand the different things FSU offers. Please see here -- Unconquered

I am proud of what FSU is doing to make sure people get a fair shake to graduate from a 4 year college and will continue to support it.

The opinion piece is flat out ridiculous. Yes, there are scholarships that are race based. Frankly, there should be.

I went to an inner city high school that was 92% african american and most families were below the poverty line or right at it. I have been fortunate to have made a couple of bucks so my wife and I endow scholarships so kids from my high school can attend FSU with less of a burden. While it does not exclude white people because the only requirement is economic need, the point of the scholarship is to serve an area that needs it.

OP clearly does not understand the different things FSU offers. Please see here -- Unconquered

I am proud of what FSU is doing to make sure people get a fair shake to graduate from a 4 year college and will continue to support it.
Kudos to you. We need more people like you on the planet.

We are all a product of our respective environments. Mine, in particular, was the physically disabled that were always snubbed in life. So, I always made my career based upon working with the disabled and those less fortunate. I've never made money from it, and I knew I never would, but it was what I wanted to do. (As a young kid, I was taunted by other kids, and some adults made some pretty derogatory comments about my dad. Those kinds of things make a lasting impression on one as a child)

Humans, in general, always do better when they feel appreciated, and when goals are attainable.

I worked with a fellow grad student who felt that he had no right to be at FSU in grad school because his GRE's weren't high enough. He asked me for help, reading his papers before he turned them in. I did it, not for any compensation, but because he wanted to succeed so badly, and was working so hard. I would do it all over again.

Wait a minute! There's a university in the USA that supports DEI initiatives? Hardly a newsworthy headline as all universities have been moving in this direction for years. The article does seem a bit over the top with its assertions but it is a Fox opinion piece so by design its intent is to enrage a certain segment of the population. However, there probably is some factual informational the article.

All three letter news organizations are the same along with MSNBC they play to their base by fabricating and embellishing stories that are loosely based in fact if at all. From Fox and its immigration stories, CNN and its made for TV quarantine emergence series with Chris Cuomo and MSNBC and its endless race baiting its all theater.

The problem I have with the subject of DEI is while things should be open and equal to all that are qualified these programs shouldn't exclude anyone. That in its self is what discrimination is all about. If the Delores Auzenne Assistantship for Minorities truly excludes any groups then that's discrimination, it can be designed for any group but should be open to all. Not everyone comes from wealth or even the means to pay for school, many of us paid our way through school with loans, grants and cash. Some served their country and utilized the GI Bill or tuition assistance. Trust me poor doesn't care what color you are, what gender you identify with or what pronouns you use. Disenfranchised people come from all walks, races and religions, thinking they don't is wrong.

Kudos to you. We need more people like you on the planet.

We are all a product of our respective environments. Mine, in particular, was the physically disabled that were always snubbed in life. So, I always made my career based upon working with the disabled and those less fortunate. I've never made money from it, and I knew I never would, but it was what I wanted to do. (As a young kid, I was taunted by other kids, and some adults made some pretty derogatory comments about my dad. Those kinds of things make a lasting impression on one as a child)

Humans, in general, always do better when they feel appreciated, and when goals are attainable.

I worked with a fellow grad student who felt that he had no right to be at FSU in grad school because his GRE's weren't high enough. He asked me for help, reading his papers before he turned them in. I did it, not for any compensation, but because he wanted to succeed so badly, and was working so hard. I would do it all over again.
Thank you for doing what you do and supporting people with disabilities! You are a Champion!

It is rude and derogatory but in Gary's defense there tends to be rude language on both sides of the aisle sometimes.
That is very true, but if each side doesn't stop doing it, it will only get worse, and the polarization is already bad enough. Instead of allowing the polarization and bickering to trickle down from the top, it's up to us to change that, starting with ourselves. If we change our own behavior, we can affect a change in others. It's always worth a try.

Kindness and compassion begets kindness and compassion.

And, just a question, here. Just because "both sides" do it, does that make it OK? Therein lies the problem.

Reactions: TallyNole93
That is very true, but if each side doesn't stop doing it, it will only get worse, and the polarization is already bad enough. Instead of allowing the polarization and bickering to trickle down from the top, it's up to us to change that, starting with ourselves. If we change our own behavior, we can affect a change in others. It's always worth a try.

Kindness and compassion begets kindness and compassion.

And, just a question, here. Just because "both sides" do it, does that make it OK? Therein lies the problem.
No its not ok.

Reactions: bcherod
FYI - the dems brought Fox to court for providing incorrect information to the public about the dangers of vaccinations. The court threw it out, citing that Fox is an "entertainment" program and not a "news" station. I haven't read the article yet, as I am not interested in entertaining myself. I have wine for that.
  • Carlson's claim that McDougal "approached Donald Trump and threatened to ruin his career and humiliate his family if he doesn't give them money."
  • Carlson's claim that McDougal's actions amounted to "a classic case of extortion."
But Fox News argued that Carlson "cannot be understood to have been stating facts, but instead that he was delivering an opinion using hyperbole for effect," the ruling said.

It added that Fox News "submits that the use of that word or an accusation of extortion, absent more, is simply 'loose, figurative, or hyperbolic language' that does not give rise to a defamation claim."

US District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism’ about the statements he makes.”

And of course Rachel Maddow successfully used the same defense for some of her Russiagate ‘coverage’:

OAN sued Maddow, Comcast and NBC in the Southern District of California that fall, claiming Maddow’s “Russian propaganda” comment “is false and intended to malign and harm OAN,” a San Diego-based independent news network entirely financed by the Herring family.

In 2020, U.S. District Judge Cynthia Bashant, a Barack Obama appointee, found Maddow’s comment was opinion, not fact, and dismissed the case.
Smith reiterated his comments in his opinion Tuesday.

He found OAN and its parent company were unlikely to prevail on the defamation claim because the challenged speech was not a statement of fact and the context of Maddow’s show made it likely her audience would expect her to make political opinions.

Smith noted: “It seems Herring agrees with this conclusion as well,” based on its complaint which characterized Maddow as “a liberal television host” and MSNBC’s programming as “liberal politics.”

“The medium through which the contested statement was made supports Maddow’s argument that a reasonable viewer would not conclude the statement implies an assertion of fact,” Smith wrote.

They are responding to a piece in the Atlantic by one of our faculty. Not surprising that her’s was infinitely better written.

Thanks for posting that article.

As a student from '69-76, undergrad and grad school, I never once, nor did my family feel that I was being indoctrinated. Believe you me, I knew tabs were kept on me, but I was FREE to study what I wanted to study. The rule given to me was not to get involved in the protests. I abided by that, and all was good in my family.

FSU is far more conservative now than it was in the '70's. I can tell you that if anything was going on here, I would have had to transfer to another school. I would have ended up at Huntingdon, for sure, but, no, I was allowed to stay here. "There was nothing to see here", and there is nothing to see here today.

There were times that I could not go to certain countries because I was a "tradeable asset", so I followed my father's wishes and did not venture into those places, at that time.

I honestly do not know where my parents would stand with this sort of rhetoric in this day and time.

My ancestors were here very early on. The thing they valued most was education.

I'm just a bit steamed with the rhetoric that's going on, and trying to censor education.

Nobel Prize winners in the last 25 years:

All Florida Schools Combined - 0
Arizona State University - 4

Here is the original source. City Journal and Chris Rufo are extremely well researched.

They are responding to a piece in the Atlantic by one of our faculty. Not surprising that her’s was infinitely better written.

I remind students that I do not judge them on their opinions, only on how they support those opinions with facts and evidence. Academics in less protected positions sometimes feel pressured to censor themselves.

According to a recent survey of 500 liberal, 500 moderate, and 500 conservative students, at least 49% of liberal students said they “always or often” refrained from expressing political or social views in class, while 55% of conservative student and 52% of moderates did. Another survey found that roughly 24% of liberals self-censored out of concern for expressing their political views, while roughly 68% of conservatives did.

Reactions: EL73
Here is the original source. City Journal and Chris Rufo are extremely well researched.
You call that "extremely well researched? He has basically one document to support his arguement.

His article would not pass high school history class.

But, once again, the Manhattan Institute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT