ADVERTISEMENT

New winners at the Great American Beer Festival are set

mmmm-beer.jpg

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
https://www.greatamericanbeerfestiv...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

First Magnitude in Hogtown and Cigar City in Tampa both won gold in different styles. But I’m going to have to track down the pink passion fruit sour by Bearwater brewery. I love sours in general and I love passion fruit so that sounds amazing.
My buddy Kevin at Bearwaters has been winning awards for some years now. Their stuff is solid. Wifey has enjoyed their Saisons over the years.

I don't like either of those CCB beers and I generally love CCB.

I haven’t had the guayabera, but hated the Madura the one time I had it. I also typically like their brew but had a hard time finishing the pint of that one.

Reactions: dmm5157
I haven’t had the guayabera, but hated the Madura the one time I had it. I also typically like their brew but had a hard time finishing the pint of that one.
I'm generally not a fan of brown ales so I probably wouldn't have tried it anyway.

We went to Southern Tier Brewing Company on our way to PNC Park when we were in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago. I always try to find something I can't get around here.

Reactions: EconSean
https://www.greatamericanbeerfestiv...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

First Magnitude in Hogtown and Cigar City in Tampa both won gold in different styles. But I’m going to have to track down the pink passion fruit sour by Bearwater brewery. I love sours in general and I love passion fruit so that sounds amazing.

If you like sours and are up in Canada in the Ottawa-area, you might want to check these guys out https://www.smallponybarrelworks.com/pages/our-beer . You can also find their beer in some bars in Toronto. Their sours are excellent and when you take the exchange rate into consideration, they're not a bad deal. I tried this one the last time I was in Toronto:

TGUFruit_f26dfd23-da4e-4622-903f-665c56d557ce_300x300.jpg

I thought it was every bit as good as WW's Cerise Mort.

Guayabera was pretty good when they first came out with it. They must have changed the recipe or outsourced it like they have with Maduro, Florida Cracker and Jai Alai. The quality level has gone down just like it has with the other 3.

I'm not a big brown ale fan as it is. Nutsack Imperial Brown from Engine 15 is one I do like.

Reactions: dmm5157
Speaking of Toronto beer: if you happen find yourself in town, I recommend Batch Brewing. Lots of interesting things, all very good IMO, but their smoked maple marzen is one of the best beers that I’ve ever had.

Guayabera was pretty good when they first came out with it. They must have changed the recipe or outsourced it like they have with Maduro, Florida Cracker and Jai Alai. The quality level has gone down just like it has with the other 3.

I'm not a big brown ale fan as it is. Nutsack Imperial Brown from Engine 15 is one I do like.
I think they did. I was never a huge fan of the Florida Cracker, so I don't know if that changed or not. Maduro is still good to me, but there are better Brown Ales to be had. I usually pick it up when I need a six pack and don't have time to make it to the Quick Stop next to Leon for much better beers.

Thanks for posting, some tasty beers/breweries on that winners list, and many head scratchers. Yet, most of the best breweries in the country don’t bother to enter so to be expected its a mixed bag as always.

I'm generally not a fan of brown ales so I probably wouldn't have tried it anyway.

We went to Southern Tier Brewing Company on our way to PNC Park when we were in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago. I always try to find something I can't get around here.
Southern Tier is fantastic. When were you in Pittsburgh? I was at PNC for the pirates cardinals game in early august.

Southern Tier is fantastic. When were you in Pittsburgh? I was at PNC for the pirates cardinals game in early august.
I was there with my kids on September 7th. My wife is from Pittsburgh and we were up there for a family wedding. Sat first row on the left field wall. A homerun was hit in our section about 25 feet from us. We had friends tell us we were on TV. Great park.

I think they did. I was never a huge fan of the Florida Cracker, so I don't know if that changed or not. Maduro is still good to me, but there are better Brown Ales to be had. I usually pick it up when I need a six pack and don't have time to make it to the Quick Stop next to Leon for much better beers.

Generally not a fan of witbiers but Florida Cracker was a good one when it first came out. My favorite CCB beer has always been Tocobaga Red Ale, another one that has changed recipe wise.

A lot of the breweries that focus more heavily on distribution see a decline in quality. Locally, Intuition Ale Works is one that comes to mind.

We've had 3 more breweries open on the First Coast with another one opening soon so the options keep expanding. My wife and I will fill growlers at a brewery or local growler shop before buying the distribution stuff. Even with all the options, I usually stick to Southern Swells or Aardwolf

Generally not a fan of witbiers but Florida Cracker was a good one when it first came out. My favorite CCB beer has always been Tocobaga Red Ale, another one that has changed recipe wise.

A lot of the breweries that focus more heavily on distribution see a decline in quality. Locally, Intuition Ale Works is one that comes to mind.

We've had 3 more breweries open on the First Coast with another one opening soon so the options keep expanding. My wife and I will fill growlers at a brewery or local growler shop before buying the distribution stuff. Even with all the options, I usually stick to Southern Swells or Aardwolf
I feel this way with Proof, to an extent. The EightFive-0 sometimes lacks in cans. That said, I do enjoy visiting the brewery still and getting some of their harder to get stuff.

I feel this way with Proof, to an extent. The EightFive-0 sometimes lacks in cans. That said, I do enjoy visiting the brewery still and getting some of their harder to get stuff.

Around the JAX/St Augustine area, you can usually find La La Land and Creatures in the Dark on tap somewhere. It's almost always a guest tap at Bottlenose Brewing in JAX.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT