ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

NoleLizards

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2004
Well, it's that time again...I'm a complete draft geek and miss the mock we used to do on here.

Conventional wisdom is that Cleveland's going QB at #1, and from what I'm hearing as of now, it's likely to be Josh Allen from Wyoming. It gets really interesting starting at 2 IMO with the Gents. What do you think their new GM Gettleman will do? He could pick the consensus best player, RB Saquon Barkley. Or, he might choose a QB to succeed Eli. NY could also go with our favorite, DE Bradley Chubb, to replace the departed JPP. ...Or, they could trade down to a QB-needy team like the Bills. Damn, I love this!

Reactions: NoleinATL
The race to draft QBs is amazing. No more do teams draft need or best player available. If there's a QB available that may be at least serviceable, teams are trading up to get them. A lot of money is being paid to non franchise players .

Reactions: NoleLizards
Gettleman has never made a trade in the first round. As a Giants fan I personally hope he does. I'd like to see them move down a few spots and take Quentin Nelson, pick up a late first-rounder where they could nab a DB or edge rusher (maybe Bennett from Ohio St) and then get a RB like Sony Michel in the 2nd round.

If they stick at #2 then I'd take Barkley. Get 3-4 good years from him. IMO there are plenty of ways to be good in the NFL. Winning a SB seems to take good QB play without a crazy cap hit at the position. I've always believed if you have a good o-line you can neutralize a lot of other disparities.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Gettleman has never made a trade in the first round. As a Giants fan I personally hope he does. I'd like to see them move down a few spots and take Quentin Nelson, pick up a late first-rounder where they could nab a DB or edge rusher (maybe Bennett from Ohio St) and then get a RB like Sony Michel in the 2nd round.

If they stick at #2 then I'd take Barkley. Get 3-4 good years from him. IMO there are plenty of ways to be good in the NFL. Winning a SB seems to take good QB play without a crazy cap hit at the position. I've always believed if you have a good o-line you can neutralize a lot of other disparities.
I, like many others, wrongfully saw the Giants as a SB contender going into last season. There's plenty of talent there, and I think they should try to take advantage of what's left for Eli's window. 1) Pick up Dez in free agency to replace Marshall. 2) Draft Barkley. I think they can ride that horse a long way. 3) Get Sam Hubbard in the 2nd to replace JPP.

The race to draft QBs is amazing. No more do teams draft need or best player available. If there's a QB available that may be at least serviceable, teams are trading up to get them. A lot of money is being paid to non franchise players .

I agree it's kinda silly. Why wouldn't (and they just might) Cleveland take the Marshall Faulk clone Barkley at #1 and still get a top QB prospect at 4??

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I agree it's kinda silly. Why wouldn't (and they just might) Cleveland take the Marshall Faulk clone Barkley at #1 and still get a top QB prospect at 4??

This is what I don't understand. Why isn't this the #1 scenario being thrown around by the experts? Seems the top 3-4 QBs are being rotated all over the place in these mocks/projections, so why not get the RB, and then take whatever QB is left, since they seem interchangeable? Makes too much sense. Then again, it's the Browns....

I'm hopeful the Bucs get Nelson at #7 and then one of the UGA RBs in the 2nd Rd, but I wouldn't be opposed to one of the defenders with that pick, either. Hell, currently Chris Conte is on the roster, I'd love nothing more than forcing that dude out of the league via this draft pick.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Nelson @7 would be ideal for the Bucs, but I don't think he'll still be on the board. Tampa's brain trust needs to do something to help out Jameis so that he'll succeed, or they're all going to be looking for jobs soon. If Nelson's not there, IMO they should trade down with someone who needs a QB and address multiple needs (o-line, DB's, RB) later in the Draft.

And the Las Vegas Raiders select: Roquan Smith.

And if he's not available, then Fitzpatrick or James will be. Heck, I'd take Tremaine Edmunds. If not, trade down.

Does anyone else think that James and Smith are basically the same player?

If President Trump really wanted to end WH leaks, he'd hire Browns GM John Dorsey for Chief of Staff. I've been to the very ends of the internet searching for a hint of who Cleveland will pick first, and yet here on the eve of the Draft...nothing! I could probably find out what's going on at Area 51 more easily.

Personally, I now think Cleveland should go ahead and take their preferred QB at #1 and then try to trade down from 4 to stock their roster with top three-round talent.** They definitely need a new LT to replace Joe Thomas and protect their QB investment. There are no tackle prospects worth taking in the top 5, so trading down to a team in the teens who needs a QB would provide a sufficient opportunity to fill this glaring need as well as bolster an already impressive cache of early selections. Plus, The Browns would be in a world of hurt financially 4-5 years down the line having to deal with multiple big contract renewals with three top 5 picks in two years on the roster, and trading the 4th pick can help to alleviate a future cap crisis.

**-If Saquon is still available at 4, scratch the trade down and worry about the $$ later. Barkley's a generational talent.

I know it's been a popular theory that the Browns will take a QB at #1 (which I agree with) and then DE Bradley Chubb at #4 to pair with Myles Garrett, I think b/c of already having a stud DE in Garrett, that I'd try to protect the QB (like Lizards' suggested above), but why not start on the interior with Nelson and then try to grab a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Browns still have a lot of pick -> incl. 3 2nd round picks.

I know it's been a popular theory that the Browns will take a QB at #1 (which I agree with) and then DE Bradley Chubb at #4 to pair with Myles Garrett, I think b/c of already having a stud DE in Garrett, that I'd try to protect the QB (like Lizards' suggested above), but why not start on the interior with Nelson and then try to grab a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Browns still have a lot of pick -> incl. 3 2nd round picks.
Nelson would work great, too. It's all guessing right now.

Finally! A nugget from Mary Kay Cabot. Looks like Allen or Mayfield:

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/...ly-cooled-sam-darnold/dvcBtfbtio58JUpz4e7kIL/

Last edited:
They say that in the last week of the draft all the info and leaks and inside sources are at best worthless, and often smokescreens.

The reason Chubb is up high is not because he's that great (he's good), but because edge rusher is thin this year.

I will start by saying I don’t watch a lot of west coast football but Ronald Jones over Darius Guice? Someone help me out. Saw Guice a lot and he was a stud on a team that couldn’t throw

Reactions: noles934
I will start by saying I don’t watch a lot of west coast football but Ronald Jones over Darius Guice? Someone help me out. Saw Guice a lot and he was a stud on a team that couldn’t throw

Guice is a better football player, but that’s not a knock on Jones’s abilities; he is a good running back. His problems include pass blocking (shocker) and he’s a bit fragile if I remember correctly.

Guice hasn’t handled himself as a professional during interviews and workouts, so is the rumor anyway.

Guice is a better football player, but that’s not a knock on Jones’s abilities; he is a good running back. His problems include pass blocking (shocker) and he’s a bit fragile if I remember correctly.

Guice hasn’t handled himself as a professional during interviews and workouts, so is the rumor anyway.
He’s from Louisiana would you expect him to interview well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT