ADVERTISEMENT

No. 1 FSU soccer opens season with scoreless draw at No. 12 South Carolina

CurtWeiler

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

No. 1 Florida State (0-0-1) played to a scoreless draw after 90 minutes of action at No. 12 South Carolina (0-0-1).

Florida State is unbeaten in its last 14 season openers and junior goalkeeper Cristina Roque remains unbeaten in her career with a record of 27-0-7.

Jenna Nighswonger got things started for the Noles with two early shots, one in the ninth minute and one in the 10th minute that led to the first of seven corners for FSU. The first half would remain scoreless, and Nighswonger had another good look at the net in the 45th minute from just outside the box but it would go just wide right.

Florida State outshot South Carolina 8-3 in the first half with three shots on goal.

The Seminoles would take 10 more shots with three more on goal in the second half but could not get one in the back of the net. After a Gamecock corner kick, the Seminoles got in transition in the 59th minute and once again Nighswonger would get off a shot, one of her eight on the night, and it would clank off of the crossbar.

Florida State threatened again in the 62nd minute with a service into the box from Ran Iwai that resulted in a collision between Onyi Echegini and the South Carolina goalkeeper, resulting in South Carolina's possession.

In the 78th minute, Roque snagged the ball over the heads of South Carolina attackers on a serve in from the right side, helping to secure the 20th shutout of her career.

Florida State finished the game with an 18-7 shot advantage and with a 6-3 shots on goal advantage. The Noles possessed the ball for 71 percent of the game.

NEXT UP

The Seminoles take on Georgia on Sunday at 1 PM. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Not a great start. This didn’t look like the number 1 team but it’s early, hopefully they improve.

I thought it was fine. I hope people aren't expecting us to be as good as last year. With the players we lost, new coach, etc it just isn't going to happen. Last years team was loaded with stars. We controlled most of the game IMO and had plenty of chances to score. I think SC only had one legitimate scoring opportunity which was great to see considering a new back line.

As Bryan mentioned, this team lost too much talent to be #1, national polls aside.
#4 in the ACC is about right.
Even Mark would not have this team good enough to finish #1.
We lost Gabby Carle (Grad), Gianna Mitchell (Grad), Jaelin Howell 2 time defending MAC Herman
Winner (Grad), Kirsten Pavlisko (Injury), Yujie Zhao (grad), Emily Madril (Grad), Kristina Lynch (Transfer), Olivia Smith (Stud Canadian Fr to transfer).
That's almost a complete team of studs we lost.
We need to temper expectations.

As Bryan mentioned, this team lost too much talent to be #1, national polls aside.
#4 in the ACC is about right.
Even Mark would not have this team good enough to finish #1.
We lost Gabby Carle (Grad), Gianna Mitchell (Grad), Jaelin Howell 2 time defending MAC Herman
Winner (Grad), Kirsten Pavlisko (Injury), Yujie Zhao (grad), Emily Madril (Grad), Kristina Lynch (Transfer), Olivia Smith (Stud Canadian Fr to transfer).
That's almost a complete team of studs we lost.
We need to temper expectations.
I did not have much in the way of expectations but we still looked lethargic. Take away Nighswonger and we were very average. Still have that tendency not to finish.

I did not have much in the way of expectations but we still looked lethargic. Take away Nighswonger and we were very average. Still have that tendency not to finish.
Long Season.
I will never forget the 18 team that finished 7th in the ACC regular season standings. They went on to win the ACCT and the Natty.
7th doesn't get you in the ACCT today. (only 6).
If this team makes the elite 8 I will be pleased. Final 4, I'll be ecstatic.
Win the natty and they'll have to bring out the paddles to revive me.

Reactions: daveynole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT