ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if it's a mid life crisis thing but I'm seriously thinking of getting this car

Funk#49

Starter
Nov 25, 2008
If I had the front seats removed I'm pretty sure I can drive it from the backseat ala Hightower in Police Academy.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/3050-dfw/1968-chevrolet-camaro

963002634bc679_hd_1968-chevrolet-camaro.jpg

Is there something wrong with it that you can't see in the pictures? Seems like a pretty competitive price for that car in that condition.

I'm not a car guy, but that's a beautiful car. Now that I've got a short commute and about to pass my Durango off to my son, boy I'd love to have a nice classic car like that. Think is, I still like to take a few road trips every year, and I wouldn't want to take a car like that on a lot of 500-1000 mile trips.

I suppose renting vehicles when I want to take a trip would be an option. I also wonder how common and expensive maintaining it would be since I wouldn't handle anything myself...it wasn't easy or cheap in the 80s when I was driving cars like this (when they were "junkers" not "classics").

I'm not a car guy, but that's a beautiful car. Now that I've got a short commute and about to pass my Durango off to my son, boy I'd love to have a nice classic car like that. Think is, I still like to take a few road trips every year, and I wouldn't want to take a car like that on a lot of 500-1000 mile trips.

I suppose renting vehicles when I want to take a trip would be an option. I also wonder how common and expensive maintaining it would be since I wouldn't handle anything myself...it wasn't easy or cheap in the 80s when I was driving cars like this (when they were "junkers" not "classics").

A car like that isn't a daily driver, its your 3rd car/weekend car.

Very nice. When I graduated in 68 and was commissioned through AFROTC my first assignment was in California about 90 miles east of LA. I had a 67 Camaro and in the two years I was there put about 100,000 miles on it running around the state. Good times.

That is a great website for classic cars.

A car like that isn't a daily driver, its your 3rd car/weekend car.

Yeah, that's what I figured. No desire to own more cars than I need though. If I ever could start working remotely, I could probably do it, because I wouldn't drive daily anyway.

Reactions: nole71911
I desperately want an old hot rod, but I simply don't drive enough to buy a finished one. Have considered a project car, but plenty of other projects in the hopper. If I were to pull the trigger, 67/68/69 Camaro or 69 Firebird are at the very top of the list.

That cherry is beautiful. But I am not a fan of chrome, its a PITA. I'd go a bit more subtle but don't care for the rims.
972560d22ddc33_low_res_1968-chevrolet-camaro.jpg

Or this one. I also am a big fan of black, I grew up with Better off Dead.
913778ad96193f_low_res_1968-chevrolet-camaro-rs-pro-touring.jpg

I miss my old TA.

Early 70s GTO or Le Mans.
70 Charger.
71/72 Challenger
67-70 Cougar
70 442

949935a26b1200_low_res_1970-mercury-cougar-xr7.jpg

Damn you funk, I am supposed to be working.

This message board should have been renamed the Midlife Crisis Message Board about 15 years ago, so no worries there Funk. Just don't make a new thread every time you get a girl to sleep with you like JLory used to (until he ran over his own dog).

As for the car - my older brother had a '69 SS when I was too young to drive...I thought I'd get the car one day, but it only had a 10-bolt rear end, which was way too weak for the torque from the 396 big block they were putting in SS's. So, if your actually looking at muscle cars, be sure to check the rear end components to see that you have the heavy duty stuff in back to match the power from the front. My brother's car used to eat universal joints at an alarming rate, and never when it was convenient to replace them.

Oh, and the one Guy Fieri drives on DDD is a rare one - both the SS drivetrain package and the RS trim package, badged for both...and a ragtop too. That is a rare beast.

Reactions: funksouljon
If I had the front seats removed I'm pretty sure I can drive it from the backseat ala Hightower in Police Academy.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/3050-dfw/1968-chevrolet-camaro

Funk,

As mentioned above, if it's a daily driver, you may be sacrificing some basic comforts, but if that's the car you want, buy it. Mecum is coming to Kissimmee in two months....it's a lot of fun, and you may find something similar, and get eyes on it, sit in it, etc. Life is short my brother, no regrets.[/QUOTE]

Funk,

Did you call and ask what's the deal with the odometer? How many times has it turned over....the vague odometer reading is puzzling, if not troubling....

Make it happen! Life is short! ;)
The biggest regret in life is not taking risks.

Oh, and the one Guy Fieri drives on DDD is a rare one - both the SS drivetrain package and the RS trim package, badged for both...and a ragtop too. That is a rare beast.

My brother restored a ‘68 convertible for my mom back in ‘96. They optioned it as an RS/SS (hideaway headlights, four wheel disc brakes) with a 350. My parents finally sold it last year, for less than was being asked for OP, but it was not a numbers matching car.
Still gorgeous.

Funk,

Did you call and ask what's the deal with the odometer? How many times has it turned over....the vague odometer reading is puzzling, if not troubling....

Not yet but I noticed that on a lot of their cars.

This message board should have been renamed the Midlife Crisis Message Board about 15 years ago, so no worries there Funk. Just don't make a new thread every time you get a girl to sleep with you like JLory used to (until he ran over his own dog).

As for the car - my older brother had a '69 SS when I was too young to drive...I thought I'd get the car one day, but it only had a 10-bolt rear end, which was way too weak for the torque from the 396 big block they were putting in SS's. So, if your actually looking at muscle cars, be sure to check the rear end components to see that you have the heavy duty stuff in back to match the power from the front. My brother's car used to eat universal joints at an alarming rate, and never when it was convenient to replace them.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll look into it . And this definitely would be a nice weather / weekend tooling around car for me.

Funk, I was just at that showroom last week. I saw that car but didn't pay much attention to it.
It has long tube headers and Flowmaster mufflers. It also doesn't have air conditioning. A requirement to me. Seems like a base model SS Camaro. Streetside is a consignment store, so they add to what ever the owner wants.

Funk, I was just at that showroom last week. I saw that car but didn't pay much attention to it.
It has long tube headers and Flowmaster mufflers. It also doesn't have air conditioning. A requirement to me. Seems like a base model SS Camaro. Streetside is a consignment store, so they add to what ever the owner wants.

Well, shite.................Gary................thank you.....................I guess...................;)

That seems like a dirt cheap price for that car. My guess is it’s not a matching numbers car and/or has a lot of after market body parts on it. A good 67-69 can easily bring 6 figures. It’s a great looking car but proceed with caution

That seems like a dirt cheap price for that car. My guess is it’s not a matching numbers car and/or has a lot of after market body parts on it. A good 67-69 can easily bring 6 figures. It’s a great looking car but proceed with caution

I could get an original Yenko or something like that getting a crazy price, but regular first gen f-bodies are not rare and you'll find plenty under $50k

link

Reactions: F4Gary
Boy. You guys got me going back in time. Went to work with Chevrolet Motor Div in 1963 in Atlanta. They transferred me to Wilmington, NC Jan 1, 1969. We drove company cars for about 3,000 miles and got another one.
A friend in Atlanta wanted me to drive a Z28 for him. Of course I did.

302 ci Close-ratio 4-speed. It had an option "dual deep tone mufflers" that
was cancelled mid-model year by Central Office in Detroit. Many people were getting ticketed for loud mufflers by local cops when they were factory"stock". Talk about fun to drive..............

I bought a '66 Chevelle SS396 when they came out. Got a whole 12,000 miles out of those Firestone red-line tires. And I had the 325 h.p. version. Also had 350 and 375 available. One of Service Reps in Fayetteville had a camaro with the 375 h.p. engine. It was swift. The good old days...........

I think the 80s was the last period when these cars were still on the road in significant numbers, affordable and drivable without significant upgrades or restoration.

I had a 60s Mustang and a lot of my friends had 60s-early 70s muscle cars or pickups with giant engines. We were buying these for $2-3k and most were still completely stock. No A/C, rudimentary seat belts, if any, no power steering or brakes (or power anything).

But so much fun to drive. Not from a cushy comfort perspective but from a “going like a bat out of hell” perspective. They were simultaneously just what a 17-18 year old boy needed and just what 17-18 year old boy didn’t need.

Reactions: 62Nole
I think the 80s was the last period when these cars were still on the road in significant numbers, affordable and drivable without significant upgrades or restoration.

I had a 60s Mustang and a lot of my friends had 60s-early 70s muscle cars or pickups with giant engines. We were buying these for $2-3k and most were still completely stock. No A/C, rudimentary seat belts, if any, no power steering or brakes (or power anything).

But so much fun to drive. Not from a cushy comfort perspective but from a “going like a bat out of hell” perspective. They were simultaneously just what a 17-18 year old boy needed and just what 17-18 year old boy didn’t need.

I enjoy watching Street Outlaws because I love the population of the cars from the 60s-80s.

Funny though, when you think about how many cars in the 70s that made 250 HP vs how many now make 250, modern cars are just more refined and not as hooligan-ish even though many outperform stock vs stock.

I was looking at getting an early 90s TA (relive my 20s) and it is amazing how few 6 speeds are out there. Driving for the sake of driving is just fun. So much more than just going A to B.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT