ADVERTISEMENT

Notes: Timpson on double-doubles, O'Brien injury update

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU is 9-1 through its first 10 games of the season and Brooke Wyckoff’s first season. Some notes going into Sunday’s game vs. Texas Southern (2 p.m., live stream on ACC Network Extra).

Timpson seeks fifth straight double-double

Sophomore forward Makayla “KK” Timpson has double-doubles in four straight games, matching the most double-doubles in consecutive games since Natasha Howard in the 2013-14 season.

“The double-doubles, they're important but it's just me being an impact for my team and for the coaches and just a lot which allows us to win the game,” Timpson said. “And that's my biggest concern and like, my drive for being so successful on the court.”

Timpson is averaging 13.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, shooting 61.8 percent (55-of-89) and averages 2.3 blocked shots per game.

“(She) is concerned most about winning and doing what her team needs,” Wyckoff said. “For really great players that have that mindset, that's when the success comes. … Just so proud of her growth. She's always been team-first and but she's starting to grow in terms of understanding her impact and what she means every single possession to the team when she is locked in. And so it's been really fun to see that in her. The potential is still huge. I can't wait to see her continue to grow.”

How has Timpson improved as a rebounder?

“I used to always be out of position,” Timpson said. “I used to be under the basket, so I just had to learn to get low in the stance and push back and always be in front of the restricted area. Always be in front of that line. So I just go up and grab the ball and got to be physical and be able to box people out and being aggressive.”

What's next for FSU after 9-1 start?

When asked where the Seminoles can improve, Wyckoff said she’s looking for consistent defensive intensity.

“I want to just see improvement on the defensive end and where there's always room to improve and specifically just being able to play four quarters, and it takes a lot of four quarters consistently on the defensive end,” Wyckoff said. “And that takes especially when you get up early like we did on Sunday on a team and that you're winning by a lot at the end of the first quarter. It takes an elite level of focus to continue to be locked in and to just not allow a team to get any confidence and so it's a challenge in and of itself when you're up big but I would love to see us do that, just really stay locked in for 40 minutes defensively.”

O'Brien out indefinitely

Bucknell transfer guard Taylor O’Brien remains out indefinitely with a lower leg injury. She has missed seven straight games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT