ADVERTISEMENT

OJ Howard

ChiefWB

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 30, 2014
Huntersville, NC
when they could have had Dalvin - doesn't look like the better draft pick now. Fact is starting running backs are likely to touch the ball 20 plus times per game a tightend would have a career game with 8-10....

when they could have had Dalvin - doesn't look like the better draft pick now. Fact is starting running backs are likely to touch the ball 20 plus times per game a tightend would have a career game with 8-10....
I'd agree, Cook is a better back than anyone on the TB roster now. But you can't blame the Bucs for giving Jameis a better TE.

I'd agree, Cook is a better back than anyone on the TB roster now. But you can't blame the Bucs for giving Jameis a better TE.
I think a better running game would've helped Jameis more than the TE pick. I don't hate the pick, but in retrospect, they should've picked up Dalvin.

I've been saying this since April. Just an unfathomable decision to pass on Cook for a project TE that won't even average 3 touches a year. Cook meanwhile will be the NFC OROY.

Cook has certainly done more in the first three games of his NFL career than Howard has in his first two NFL games, but that's a pretty small sample size on which to decide whether the Bucs decision was right or wrong. As a fan of both Cook and the Bucs, I hope they both have long, successful careers & it eventually becomes an argument over which NFL Hall of Famer they should've taken.

Last edited:
OJ Howard is so overrated. He's a big body that can run. But he didn't prove at Alabama that he can can body up defenders and leverage his way into a catch - something you have to be able to do in the NFL. He's not 1st round value. The Bucs had him higher on their draft board than Calvin. That's incompetence. You're talking about passing on a 3 down back with big play potential when you have huge running back concerns in order to take a TE that will take possibly a season or two to produce on a level that warrants a 1st round pick. OJ Howard got wide open at Alabama thanks to RPOs. That ain't happening in the league.

Dirk said in a pre-game interview that they were actively on the phones trying to trade up for DC in the 2nd round when the Vikings snagged him. Oh, what might have been. Of course, after watching TB's OL on Sunday, looks like Dalvin had the better group. This past week anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT