ADVERTISEMENT

Oriental ...

littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
Why is it Not PC to say that anymore?

Seriously I said it the other day and was told “ we” don’t say that anymore

Why?

I have quite a few Asian friends, not one of then is offended by the term. There area even several businesses in my county owned by Asians that used the word in the business name.
Classic case of white guilt, comical.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I watched the Johnny Depp version of The Oreintial Express.

I liked it

[QUOTE ="NDallasRuss, post: 3686043, member: 4816"]In my experience, Oriental refers to things, Asian refers to people.[/QUOTE]
Precisely. No one says "Asian rugs".

Oriental is a label invented by white people and foisted upon every person from places east of Europe that specifically and explicitly identifies those people as foreign and from elsewhere.

Oriental is a label invented by white people and foisted upon every person from places east of Europe that specifically and explicitly identifies those people as foreign and from elsewhere.

And that’s different from Asian how? Or even Japanese or Chinese? Or stepping back from just “Asian” and “Oriental”, what about calling it Germany? Those are all “American” names for areas called something different in their native tongues.

Or are we going to have to start using Yaxiya, Nihon, Zhōngguó and Deutschland?

The only difference between using Asian (which is Greek) and Oriental (which is Latin) is which old white language you want to base it on.

And that’s different from Asian how? Or even Japanese or Chinese? Or stepping back from just “Asian” and “Oriental”, what about calling it Germany? Those are all “American” names for areas called something different in their native tongues.

Or are we going to have to start using Yaxiya, Nihon, Zhōngguó and Deutschland?

The only difference between using Asian (which is Greek) and Oriental (which is Latin) is which old white language you want to base it on.
Asia refers to a continent. Japan and China refer to nations. Oriental is literally a slur referring to foreigners from east of Europe.

Regardless, as others have already said, feel free to choose to call people by whatever label you prefer and learn from the responses you receive.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Why is it Not PC to say that anymore?

Seriously I said it the other day and was told “ we” don’t say that anymore

Why?

It is totally fine, as long as you use the word “feller” immediately after it. Like this: “did anyone see the little Oriental feller come through here?” See if this helps. Thanks.

Asia refers to a continent. Japan and China refer to nations. Oriental is literally a slur referring to foreigners from east of Europe.

Regardless, as others have already said, feel free to choose to call people by whatever label you prefer and learn from the responses you receive.
Similar to gaijin? I have no problem having a Japanese calling me that.

In essence, it's the equivalent of referring to people south of the Mason-Dixon line as hicks or hillbillies or rednecks.

Reactions: cfbfan23
As an aside, just curious...When you were a kid playing Monopoly, did anyone else use an exaggerated accent when pronouncing "Oriental"??

Be honest now.

I was told by a friend of mine that if I said Merry Christmas to a Jewish person I was an ass, even if I had no idea they were Jewish. This is the world we live in now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: F4Gary
I am Asian and not offended. But honestly have never really heard it to describe people other than a Christmas song saying 3 kings from the Orient. So I thought Orient meant Far East. Thus Oriental meant from the east Asia. As opposed to just Asia. Aren't there many countries in Asia but people from those countries don't refer to themselves nor do people really think of them as Asian although they technically are. For example, Israelis, Jordanians, Iranians and Iraqis.

Last edited:
I was told by a friend of mine that if I said Merry Christmas to a Jewish person I was an ass, even if I had no idea they were Jewish. This is the world we live in now.
I once had this exchange with a guy at work. It was a couple of days before Christmas and completely ad-libbed:

Him: "Merry Christmas!"
Me sourly: "Im Jewish "(though I'm actually not).
"Happy Hannukah."
"I'm secular."
"Well, #$%& you then!"

It was like improv, and we'd repeat the exchange every holiday season hence. :Face with Tears of Joy

That has to be an exception and an extreme exception. I am not Jewish, but am not offended when someone says Happy Hanukkah. I had a Jewish co worker that I had a discussion with about this and he said he was not offended if someone said it to him.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
That is stupid and sounds made up.

Yes and not made up. It was a long protracted facebook debate. His point was you should always say Happy Holidays so as not to offend anyone. It’s a true story.

Last edited by a moderator:
That has to be an exception and an extreme exception. I am not Jewish, but am not offended when someone says Happy Hanukkah. I had a Jewish co worker that I had a discussion with about this and he said he was not offended if someone said it to him.

EXACTLY! I don't care if you say Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza or whatever. I'm not looking to be offended. I wish this wasn't true, the guy used to be a friend of mine and now he's just off the reservation.

Glad I live in a state where this upstanding gentleman has a shot at running things.

ecuso.jpg

I have a feeling the person who said it wasn't even Jewish. I am not offended by anyone wishing me a happy anything. It's the same reason I don't understand why any Christian would be offended by "Happy Holidays", as if by casting a wider net you're somehow disparaging Christmas.

I'm fairly certain that saying Merry Christmas to a Jewish person is incidental to your friend's assessment.

I thought rednecks were ok with being called rednecks? I've never thought of the term and having negative connotations.
I'm actually a Damn Yankee, so I'm not qualified to answer this question. We'd need a bona fide 'neck to chime in on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT