ADVERTISEMENT

Our first Electric Vehicle delivered last month

FSUDoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
LBTS
Hey all,

I’m waiting around for the baseball game to start, so I thought I’d share some thoughts on our new addition, our first EV, we no longer own an internal combustion vehicle. Some thoughts, then a few snapshots…I hope you all appreciate the color choice, it’s technically Cherry Metallic, but it matches our FSU tag flawlessly.

Vehicle-2022 Porsche Taycan RWD (base model for Taycans)
Color-Cherry Metallic
Interior-Chalk/Black Leather
Range-@ 250 Miles on a full charge using brake recuperation

First impressions-

This is our third Porsche, but our first new one, so we were able to build from spec….first time we’ve ever done that. The vehicle is 100% electric, and it definitely took some time to adapt to the silence, I mean it is really quiet. The interior is ultramodern, and we opted for the glass roof to open the back seat up a little more. The vehicle is only a base model, but it’s incredible fast (0-60 in < 5 seconds, particularly for the curb weight it carries. We don’t have the ability to charge at our condo, but we get three years of free fast charging at Electrify America stations around the country and that has been seamless…I can go from @ 20% state of charge to 90% state of charge in @ 20-25 minutes on a 150 KW or 350KW Fast Charger. The technology on this vehicle is truly amazing, something that can move like that, along with all the typical luxury vehicle feel it offers using simply battery power, is something I didn’t think I would ever see let alone own. If anyone has any questions about the EV process, pros and cons, etc. I’d be happy to help. In closing, it sure is satisfying driving by our local Mobil station…I know I’m paying for the price of fuel like the rest of us in other products and services, but it really is nice not dropping $80-$100 on a fill up….and the $7500 Income Tax Credit for 2022 was also a huge incentive. I tried dropping a couple pics in but I’m getting the dreaded Red X…..ugh.

2f82f380-9383-4f1b-8789-75fe2050f5f7-jpeg.36395

Last edited:
A BEV would probably be a good car for my wife, but we need a car we can tow 4 down behind our motorhome and there are no BEVs that can do that.
May change out the 17 Ford Edge Sport for a new Escape Hybrid but I hate to give up the horsepower.

So what you are saying is that if you go on trips, say drive from Tallahassee to Miami for a football game you need a different vehicle or take couple days down and a couple days back and hope you can access a charging station when you need to recharge. How much is the fast charge to 100 % and how long does it take when you are going to pay for it?

There is no way I can drive the 600 miles in a day that I currently do.

Hey all,

I’m waiting around for the baseball game to start, so I thought I’d share some thoughts on our new addition, our first EV, we no longer own an internal combustion vehicle. Some thoughts, then a few snapshots…I hope you all appreciate the color choice, it’s technically Cherry Metallic, but it matches our FSU tag flawlessly.

Vehicle-2022 Porsche Taycan RWD (base model for Taycans)
Color-Cherry Metallic
Interior-Chalk/Black Leather
Range-@ 250 Miles on a full charge using brake recuperation

First impressions-

This is our third Porsche, but our first new one, so we were able to build from spec….first time we’ve ever done that. The vehicle is 100% electric, and it definitely took some time to adapt to the silence, I mean it is really quiet. The interior is ultramodern, and we opted for the glass roof to open the back seat up a little more. The vehicle is only a base model, but it’s incredible fast (0-60 in < 5 seconds, particularly for the curb weight it carries. We don’t have the ability to charge at our condo, but we get three years of free fast charging at Electrify America stations around the country and that has been seamless…I can go from @ 20% state of charge to 90% state of charge in @ 20-25 minutes on a 150 KW or 350KW Fast Charger. The technology on this vehicle is truly amazing, something that can move like that, along with all the typical luxury vehicle feel it offers using simply battery power, is something I didn’t think I would ever see let alone own. If anyone has any questions about the EV process, pros and cons, etc. I’d be happy to help. In closing, it sure is satisfying driving by our local Mobil station…I know I’m paying for the price of fuel like the rest of us in other products and services, but it really is nice not dropping $80-$100 on a fill up….and the $7500 Income Tax Credit for 2022 was also a huge incentive. I tried dropping a couple pics in but I’m getting the dreaded Red X…..ugh.

2f82f380-9383-4f1b-8789-75fe2050f5f7-jpeg.36395
I was actually looking at this car today… tell me the pros and cons of this particular EV

A BEV would probably be a good car for my wife, but we need a car we can tow 4 down behind our motorhome and there are no BEVs that can do that.
May change out the 17 Ford Edge Sport for a new Escape Hybrid but I hate to give up the horsepower.
I really think the offerings are going to increase greatly over the next few years through all brands. Porsche is converting the Macan and the Cayman to EVs before 2025.…I’m sure the Panamera and Cayenne won’t be far behind. I know Porsche wants to meet their EV manufacturing requirements so they can still produce the 911 with an ICE. The Taycan is already the third best selling Porsche in the third year of production. Let me know if you have any questions as you move forward….the learning curve was steep, but very manageable. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend…

Reactions: Random_John
So what you are saying is that if you go on trips, say drive from Tallahassee to Miami for a football game you need a different vehicle or take couple days down and a couple days back and hope you can access a charging station when you need to recharge. How much is the fast charge to 100 % and how long does it take when you are going to pay for it?

There is no way I can drive the 600 miles in a day that I currently do.
Great question. So my range continues to improve as the vehicle gets to know our driving habits. The vehicle also has a “range” mode that saves energy, although I haven‘t deployed that since we took delivery, that will extend the mileage. That said, the vehicle allows you to plot your course, lets say from home here in Lauderdale by the Sea to the Aloft in Tallahassee taking you by rapid chargers the entire route. Taycan owners receive three years of free rapid charging at Electrify America….and there are several stations along the route. If I was at a 10% state of charge and I am able to find a 150 or 350 KW charger, I would have to hang around for a cup of coffee, use the restroom, etc and be at 90-100% state of charge in about 20 minutes. It’s a little longer than a gas stop, but not too bad. We went to the Islamorada last weekend and I could’ve made the trip without charging although they did have Tesla chargers where we stayed….I’m looking into buying a fitting that would allow us to use Tesla chargers as well. Tesla is the only EV that has a proprietary charge port to my knowledge….I have seen Mercedes, Hyundais, Golf Carts, etc at Electrify America down here in Fort Lauderdale and Deerfield Beach.

Reactions: fsufool
I was actually looking at this car today… tell me the pros and cons of this particular EV
Good morning. If you have the opportunity, go take a test drive…I had no intention of getting rid of my 981 or my wife’s Macan, but when I was invited to test drive one at the Homestead Road Course, I was hooked. We also only needed one vehicle so the stars aligned when we ordered last November. It is an amazing piece of engineering, and it’s a piece of art. This is the third year of production so early bugs have been fixed, but it’s basically a rolling computer so there are occasional glitches that some have experienced. The interior is sleek, and there is ample room in the rear, which can be configured for two or three people. Plenty of room for storage….no engine=two trunks, although the frunk is pretty small. Check out the link below, it’s the configurator for the base model, you can see colors, interiors, rim choices, etc. Build times can be lengthy, it took six months from deposit to delivery for us, so that’s a bit frustrating. That all said, it’s the finest car I’ve ever driven, I make up reasons to take it out for drives. Let me know if you have any questions….have a great holiday weekend! One more note, the $7500 income tax credit is still available….not available with Teslas and other EVs and Hybrids….Porsche hasn’t met the plateau….not a deduction, a flat $7500 off of 2022 Tax Return. This link is the build configurator…

Oh….the cons….Range isn’t great, Tesla wins that battle, and the cost of add ons with Porsche can be insane, we had a budget and stayed within that number.…and lastly, the long wait for delivery.

That said, Teslas are EVs that happen to be cars, and Taycans are Cars that happen to be EVs…

Last edited:
Reactions: GbrNole
Don’t most turnpike rest areas have fast chargers? Doesn’t seems like there would be much difference than a regular gas stop since people generally stop for breaks foods restroom anyways.

Under warranty for eight years…replacement cost is purely speculative right now…it is very expensive currently but hopefully as the industry ramps up, that price will come down. We’ll probably move onto another Taycan (or another EV) before the original warranty expires…4 year/50,000 miles.

This is very interesting wish I could go to an all electric vehicle for around town another wish is an electric motor for the boat

Reactions: FSUDoles
One more note, the $7500 income tax credit is still available….not available with Teslas and other EVs and Hybrids….Porsche hasn’t met the plateau….not a deduction, a flat $7500 off of 2022 Tax Return.
Glad you got the money but I find it ridiculous that the govt. gives out incentives for cars that have long waiting lists of people wanting to buy.

Glad you got the money but I find it ridiculous that the govt. gives out incentives for cars that have long waiting lists of people wanting to buy.
Understood, but if they’re giving, I’m taking. Anyhow, limited production for this vehicle causes the long waits…no new vehicles on the lot.

That's what I thought. EV would be good for a around town car but that's it. Need something that's not range limited and tied to specific locations to charge. What if when you bought a BMW they said you can only use Shell gas stations? Or worse something less common like Conoco or Sunoco?

Reactions: bryanscho
Under warranty for eight years…replacement cost is purely speculative right now…it is very expensive currently but hopefully as the industry ramps up, that price will come down. We’ll probably move onto another Taycan (or another EV) before the original warranty expires…4 year/50,000 miles.
I read a report from 2019 suggesting replacement costs were around $165 per kwh and projected to go down to around $130 per kwh by 2025. However, there are more lenient forecasts which put the future costs around $100.

I read a report from 2019 suggesting replacement costs were around $165 per kwh and projected to go down to around $130 per kwh by 2025. However, there are more lenient forecasts which put the future costs around $100.
Thanks for the intel….

Question: I’ve seen the Tesla chargers at big gas stations like the Busy Bee off I-10 in Live Oak. Are those exclusively adapted to Tesla’s or can they accommodate other EV’s? If each manufacturer needs to put their own unique chargers in place that could be a huge requirement for space.

Question: I’ve seen the Tesla chargers at big gas stations like the Busy Bee off I-10 in Live Oak. Are those exclusively adapted to Tesla’s or can they accommodate other EV’s? If each manufacturer needs to put their own unique chargers in place that could be a huge requirement for space.
Good morning….to the best of my knowledge, the Red and White Tesla Superchargers are Tesla specific…I can (and probably will) buy an adapter that will allow me to use the smaller Tesla Destination Chargers you typically find at hotels, etc….not as fast, but convenient. My primary charging service (because it’s free for three years and is super fast) is Electrify America….not as many of those, but I only charge up every two weeks or so, so I drive five miles or so to get to one of those. We also have Chargepoint Chargers in our town that are free if you pay the meter or have a resident parking pass, but they are really, really slow.
On the turnpike, there are Tesla Superchargers and the generic fast chargers that fit basically every EV but Tesla. Additional charging stations are coming….

We have had at least 1 hybrid technology Honda for 17 years now. Our first battery pack in our Honda Accord lasted 15 years and 215,000 miles. We replaced it for $1800. Still driving it with over 250,000 miles on it now. Our first hybrid was a 2003 Honda Civic and I drove that for 10 years. We moved to the mountains where we got 100 inches plus of snow and that car wasn't the right one for the area we lived in, so we got rid of it and bought a Subaru. Now other than the Accord Hybrid we have a Honda CRV which is a much better car than the Subaru and is great here in New Hampshire. Been watching the electric car market. Think our next car will be an electric one. Thanks for the update on yours.

Good morning….to the best of my knowledge, the Red and White Tesla Superchargers are Tesla specific…I can (and probably will) buy an adapter that will allow me to use the smaller Tesla Destination Chargers you typically find at hotels, etc….not as fast, but convenient. My primary charging service (because it’s free for three years and is super fast) is Electrify America….not as many of those, but I only charge up every two weeks or so, so I drive five miles or so to get to one of those. We also have Chargepoint Chargers in our town that are free if you pay the meter or have a resident parking pass, but they are really, really slow.
On the turnpike, there are Tesla Superchargers and the generic fast chargers that fit basically every EV but Tesla. Additional charging stations are coming….
How many miles are you getting between charges? Are you running the AC full time in the car?

Asking the real questions......I will add, does it have a "dog mode" like the Tesla?
My insurance agent drives a Tesla and we talked for over an hour about his car and experience driving an EV. I am interested in the experiences of those that make the leap and buy one of these vehicles.

Interesting article from Fox Business so not overly pro EV I'm guessing. However, it does illustrate the planning required and some of the obstacles still out there concerning EV's. If I could have a way to charge at home I would get one for local use. Not sure I would do a weekly hour long charging session just yet. I see folks hanging out a busy bee all the time waiting on their Tesla's to charge and they all say it takes way longer than advertised. The infrastructure required to support mass use of EV's will take years to build and once it does get built the price to charge will go up faster than gas prices this year.

We have had at least 1 hybrid technology Honda for 17 years now. Our first battery pack in our Honda Accord lasted 15 years and 215,000 miles. We replaced it for $1800. Still driving it with over 250,000 miles on it now. Our first hybrid was a 2003 Honda Civic and I drove that for 10 years. We moved to the mountains where we got 100 inches plus of snow and that car wasn't the right one for the area we lived in, so we got rid of it and bought a Subaru. Now other than the Accord Hybrid we have a Honda CRV which is a much better car than the Subaru and is great here in New Hampshire. Been watching the electric car market. Think our next car will be an electric one. Thanks for the update on yours.
Anytime, please let me know if you have any questions…

ADVERTISEMENT