Partial scholarship sport questions

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
These include, but are not limited to baseball, soccer, softball, golf, T&F, S&D, beach volleyball...
I'll use soccer as an example. A women's team gets 14 schollies. Most teams carry 25 plus players. FSU had 26 to start the season.
UNC and UVA had 31 as a comparison. (uf had 35) FSU rosters tend to be smaller.
Point being, most of the girls have less than full schollies.
Using Jane Doe as an example. She gets a 50% scholly.
Here are the questions:
1. The 50% applies to tuition and books for sure correct?
2. Does it pay for 50% of her room, or all of it?
3. Does she get 100% access to the training room?
4. What about the training table? Food is costly.
5. Does she get 100% access to academic support, or somehow only 50%?
6. Do out of state/country students with a 50% scholly pay OOS rates or in-state rates for tuition?
I'm sure there are other items, I'm missing.

If for instance, the 50% only applies tuition and books, then that 50% is very valuable.
Just curious. Does anyone here have knowledge?

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
These include, but are not limited to baseball, soccer, softball, golf, T&F, S&D, beach volleyball...
I'll use soccer as an example. A women's team gets 14 schollies. Most teams carry 25 plus players. FSU had 26 to start the season.
Here are the questions:
6. Do out of state/country students with a 50% scholly pay OOS rates or in-state rates for tuition?

If for instance, the 50% only applies tuition and books, then that 50% is very valuable.
The commentator for FSU vs Milwaukee had a relevant remark yesterday... one who’s accuracy I cannot verify.
He said that the Noles were carrying a roster of 18, while the opponent had some 35 on their squad.
I have looked across the pitch multiple times in Chapel Hill, clemmons, gunsville, and Wake Forest for instance and wondered about team numbers. In each case, we were dramatically lesser in jerseys on the sidelines.
We get good pop per number...

fsufool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Here are the questions:

In the dark ages, when I was on scholarship, there were categories. Tuition; Out of State Tuition; Room; Board; Books. Each had a numerical cash amount connected to it, except tuition. The least was "books." The room piece and the tuition piece were the highest. You can probably replace "board" with the training table. We all got access to academic support. I came in with an out of state tuition waiver; room and books. Then it morphed to tuition, books and board. We had a few on a full ride, but most of us had some combination. Hope this helps.

Oh, and now a days, many have academic awards to help out including Florida's Bright Future awards. Since a lot of Olympic sport athletes are also great in the classroom, you have many with academic oriented scholarships.

Reactions: billanole and Tom81

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Here are the questions:

Its 50 % of a full ride including money payouts. BUT. Almost no one gets 50%- it is based on what the player has available in outside dollars (some get some form of academic scholarship's-these are usually not need based and then some get need based scholarship's which can be based on Academic profile (which major you choose). There are other forms of scholarship's (Pell grants etc. ) . So they do a player triage and try to get everyone close to the full ride (again depending on the original wallet test ) Some players need more if they are out of state or country. Some players need less based on income and Academic money. I know some come in with pre-paid and bright futures (or something similar) and that covers all tuition and books and some of the other costs. They then need only Room and Food (they often get the full money for spending also). It literally takes an accountant to keep up with the money for scholarship's but most of the players get pretty close (again - this is based on the sport).

Reactions: billanole

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Its 50 % of a full ride including money payouts. BUT. Almost no one gets 50%- it is based on what the player has available in outside dollars (some get some form of academic scholarship's-these are usually not need based and then some get need based scholarship's which can be based on Academic profile (which major you choose). There are other forms of scholarship's (Pell grants etc. ) . So they do a player triage and try to get everyone close to the full ride (again depending on the original wallet test ) Some players need more if they are out of state or country. Some players need less based on income and Academic money. I know some come in with pre-paid and bright futures (or something similar) and that covers all tuition and books and some of the other costs. They then need only Room and Food (they often get the full money for spending also). It literally takes an accountant to keep up with the money for scholarship's but most of the players get pretty close (again - this is based on the sport).