ADVERTISEMENT

Paul McCartney on Carpool Karaoke

Thanks for sharing...that was a great one. I'm not even a huge Beatles fan but it was interesting to see all the places they went.

Reactions: cmanole
I will be Lucifer’s Avocado on this one...I thought it showed he should have long since given up performing. Some old acts still have it, but he doesn’t have the voice or range anymore. He needs to hang up the mic.

IMG_6569.JPG

PS that’s an injoke some lawyers may get.

I actually still enjoy watching Jack Nicklaus hit a golf ball, watching John McEnroe serve and volley, Clint Eastwood act and direct, Bruce Springsteen live in concert as well as several others doing their magic years and years after their prime. I believe it's part nostalgia remembering how great they were back when and partly seeing that even though age has taken its inevitable toll, their greatness lives on and on. I believe Paul is right there with them....range or no range. His (and John's) songwriting and lyrical work will be studied for generations, essentially the masters of our time.

He's a legend man. People don't care what his range is...
tumblr_oy8kjj7d0Z1qmob6ro1_500.gif

Paul McCartney is only a year and half older than Diana Ross and she is still at about 95% of her former glory. Paul is at about 20%.

I go to a fair amount of geezer acts and about a quarter are still at or near their peak like Queen Ross, America, Huey Lewis etc.., about half are nowhere near as good but still decent enough to be enjoyable (Beach Boys, Heart, Ozzie Osbourne, Billy Idol, etc..) and a quarter (Kansas, Aretha Franklin and Paul) need to give it up to make room for new artists.

Reactions: cmanole
Paul McCartney is only a year and half older than Diana Ross and she is still at about 95% of her former glory. Paul is at about 20%.

I go to a fair amount of geezer acts and about a quarter are still at or near their peak like Queen Ross, America, Huey Lewis etc.., about half are nowhere near as good but still decent enough to be enjoyable (Beach Boys, Heart, Ozzie Osbourne, Billy Idol, etc..) and a quarter (Kansas, Aretha Franklin and Paul) need to give it up to make room for new artists.

When did you see Huey? It was recently in the News that he had to cancel the rest of his 2018 schedule due to a hearing loss issue.

I actually still enjoy watching Jack Nicklaus hit a golf ball, watching John McEnroe serve and volley, Clint Eastwood act and direct, Bruce Springsteen live in concert as well as several others doing their magic years and years after their prime. I believe it's part nostalgia remembering how great they were back when and partly seeing that even though age has taken its inevitable toll, their greatness lives on and on. I believe Paul is right there with them....range or no range. His (and John's) songwriting and lyrical work will be studied for generations, essentially the masters of our time.

I’m not saying he wasn’t good...obviously he’s up there with maybe ten or twenty musicians where their careers somewhat overlapped with my life. So obviously toss on tons of accolades for him for the rest of his life. I just don’t want to hear him butcher his songs now.

I would wonder what is the correlation for those listening to Paul now to people who like listening to Jimmy Buffet Live. I enjoy listening to Jimmy Buffet’s carefully edited and assisted recorded music but I can NOT stand when they put his atonal live warbling on in restaurants and would never be able to sit through a live concert. Obviously there are millions of Parrotheads who are fine with it, and I bet those same people show up to Paul’s live concerts.

When did you see Huey? It was recently in the News that he had to cancel the rest of his 2018 schedule due to a hearing loss issue.

Three years ago at Universal and he was absolutely fantastic, almost radio perfect. The fact he was apparently unable to really hear makes it even more amazing.

I’m not saying he wasn’t good...obviously he’s up there with maybe ten or twenty musicians where their careers somewhat overlapped with my life. So obviously toss on tons of accolades for him for the rest of his life. I just don’t want to hear him butcher his songs now.

I would wonder what is the correlation for those listening to Paul now to people who like listening to Jimmy Buffet Live. I enjoy listening to Jimmy Buffet’s carefully edited and assisted recorded music but I can NOT stand when they put his atonal live warbling on in restaurants and would never be able to sit through a live concert. Obviously there are millions of Parrotheads who are fine with it, and I bet those same people show up to Paul’s live concerts.

Hey,

I think you missed my point...I'm not defending Paul as some master vocalist, but music is subjective, and people like what they like, and don't like what they don't like. My point was his (and John's) greatness as composers/songwriters is studied today and will be for generations. Paul hasn't toured since 2017 so I don't believe he is taking away concert dates from any other act....but if he does decide to tour again, he will fill buildings/stadiums...regardless of his voice. Paul, Bruce, Elton, Billy Joel and others are fighting Father Time...and no one wins that battle. I won't get into a debate as to whether Huey Lewis or insert any artist mentioned above can sing better than Paul today....I choose to look at his entire body of work and contributions to modern music....and I think (I don't know definitively) he lands a bit above everyone mentioned in your previous post.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Three years ago at Universal and he was absolutely fantastic, almost radio perfect. The fact he was apparently unable to really hear makes it even more amazing.

I've seen him a few times, from mid 80s through 4 or 5 years ago. He's been great each time.

I think the hearing issue was very sudden, and only happened early this year.

Come on man. None of them are Paul McCartney tough. I don't even like the Beatles (like all of their solo stuff) but McCartney gets a pass...

Last edited:
I was never a big Beatles fan, but how could anyone think he should hang it up after watching that?????

He had people freaking crying...I mean seriously, if you can have someone that emotional when singing, then you are FAR from needing to hang it up.

That was an awesome 23 minutes. My opinion about the Beatles being the most overrated band of all time just drastically changed.

That was fun!

I was never a big Beetles fan, but how could anyone think he should hang it up after watching that?????

He had people freaking crying...I mean seriously, if you can have someone that emotional when singing, then you are FAR from needing to hang it up.

That was an awesome 23 minutes. My opinion about the Beetles being the most overrated band of all time just drastically changed.

That was fun!
#metoo

Reactions: DanC78
Diana Ross isn't anywhere near her former glory from the Supremes days. Her voice was already fading in the '80s. I saw her perform in 2000 and she was her typical diva self, but relied on her younger "Supremes" replacements to carry her quite a bit. But she's still a legend, just like Paul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT