ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 10 The Valspar Championship (sign-up is still open)

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • SnakePitFirstLook-847.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Adam Hadwin escapes the Snake Pit and wins the Valspar Championship
Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods test themselves for the first time in the “Snake Pit” of Innisbrook Resort’s Copperhead course, as the Florida Swing returns to the state after its one-week detour to Mexico.

Masters titleholder Sergio Garcia returns to Florida’s Gulf Coast for the first time since 2013, while Jordan Spieth is back after a one-year break to give the stop perhaps its best lineup since it joined the schedule in 2000. Adam Hadwin is defending champion.

FIELD NOTES: Justin Rose, who owns four top-15 finishes at Innisbrook since 2008, and Henrik Stenson make it five entrants among the top 13 players in the world rankings. … Bill Haas ventures back to action three weeks after being sidelined by injuries suffered in a fatal auto accident ahead of the Genesis Open. … U.S. Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk returns for his ninth Copperhead start in the past 10 years. He captured the 2010 edition. … Two-time Innisbrook champ K.J. Choi and Brian Gay are set for their 17th starts in the tournament’s 18 editions. Choi missed the 2008 event; Gay sat out in 2015. … Sam Burns, last year’s Nicklaus Award winner at LSU, earns another start following his tie for eighth at the Honda Classic. … Chris Couch, who hasn’t teed it up in a TOUR event since 2012, is entered on one of his remaining medical extension starts.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/valspar-championship/field.html

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: McIlroy and Woods get their first looks at the Copperhead, the only Florida stop where they had yet to tee it up. Both come in after a week’s rest – McIlroy passed on the WGC Mexico Championship and Woods didn’t qualify. … Woods makes his third start in a four-week stretch, with another to follow at Bay Hill. He placed 12th at the Honda Classic, his best TOUR finish since 2015 in Greensboro. … Charl Schwartzel’s sixth-place finish last year made him just the fourth of 16 defending Valspar champions to notch a top-10 finish a year later. The tournament has yet to see a back-to-back winner. … Luke Donald hasn’t cracked the top 20 in the past three Valspar starts, coming after four straight top-6 finishes from 2011-14. He won the 2012 edition. … The Copperhead’s “Snake Pit” ranked No.4 once again among last year’s toughest three-hole closing stretches, averaging .472 strokes over par. Quail Hollow’s “Green Mile” was the runaway No.1 in its major debut (PGA Championship).

COURSE: Innisbrook Resort (Copperhead), 7,340 yards, par 71. Carved from rolling terrain uncommon so close to Florida’s coast, Larry Packard’s tree-lined creation is a longstanding favorite among pros for an offering different from the others on the Florida Swing. Two of Copperhead’s par-5s feature double doglegs, putting a premium on positioning to reach the green in two. The “Snake Pit” – two bruising par-4s sandwiched around the 215-yard 17th – awaits to bite golfers as they complete their rounds. Opened in 1972, Innisbrook served 24 years as site of the JC Penney team event pairing PGA TOUR and LPGA pros, then converted to a regular stop in 2000.

72-HOLE RECORD: 266, Vijay Singh (2004).

18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Padraig Harrington (1st round, 2012).

LAST YEAR: Hadwin captured his first PGA TOUR victory, shaking off a costly double bogey near the end to hold off Patrick Cantlay’s stirring challenge. Hadwin took a four-shot lead into the final round, but found himself in a battle as Cantlay – making just his second start after a two-year injury layoff – reeled off five birdies in a six-hole stretch bridging the turn. Hadwin still led by two until entering the “Snake Pit,” where the Canadian’s tee shot at No.16 found water right of the fairway. The duo remained deadlocked until No.18, as Cantlay’s approach leaked into a bunker while Hadwin found the back fringe to set up a two-putt par. Cantlay’s 15-foot attempt to force a playoff went unanswered.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 2-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-3 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE:
Thursday-Friday, 6:45 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

The PGSF rolls into Copperhead off of celebrating a great victory for Phil Mickelson. The field is loaded this week , so we should have a very good tournament

In the PGSF, a shake up near the top as ed slides into 2nd place.
@NoleLizards is still our leader.
Leader%20thru%20Mexico%2018_zpsze11kifd.png

good luck to everyone this week

The All-Knowing, All-Omniscient Ouija Board has been granted a stay of execution for the time being. He/she/it did say, though, that it can't always live just picking top names; sometimes, it has to go with some fliers. I told it that was OK, but I at least have to have heard of these people. And its response was these picks:

Luke Donald
Jason Dufner
Harris English
Matt Kuchar

I thought Spieth was turning the corner at the end of the WGC-Mexico last week. Apparently not so much!

My early lead looks ripe for the picking. Spieth and Stenson have seemingly forgotten that the goal in golf is to get the lowest score.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Tony Finau has always been one of those guys I can never time right when I pick. If I pick him, he plays terribly and misses the cut. When I don't pick, but almost do...top 10.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Garcia, Rose, Spieth, Stenson

Two of whom are not in the top 100 as of the completion of their 36th hole. o_O

The curse is back, baby. Next week just let me know who you want to play like crap; if the price is right (Will work for beer!!!), I'll kill 'em off.

Two of whom are not in the top 100 as of the completion of their 36th hole. o_O

The curse is back, baby. Next week just let me know who you want to play like crap; if the price is right (Will work for beer!!!), I'll kill 'em off.
Three of your four are mine too including both north of 100.

Wow. Spieth +5? The kid has lost his mojo.
Jordan Spieth playing catch up as he prepares for Masters
spieth-catchup.jpg

By
Doug Ferguson
The Associated Press

Series: Golf Buzz

Published: Thursday, March 08, 2018 | 9:54 a.m.

PALM HARBOR, Fla. — Jordan Spieth feels as though he has been playing catch-up all year.

Spieth had a memorable offseason when he proposed (successfully) to longtime girlfriend Annie Verret. What suffered were his preparations for a new year after a bout with mononucleosis. He lost weight. More importantly, he lost time.

That's one reason he was on the fence about his schedule leading up to the Masters. Spieth didn't firmly decide to play in the Mexico Championship until the last minute, and that briefly made him rethink whether to play the Valspar Championship, which he won three years ago.

Ultimately, he did both.

MORE: Valspar Championship leaderboard | Golf on TV this week

"I was trying to figure out what was the best strategy to be as rested and prepared for Augusta," Spieth said. "I just wasn't sure. I haven't had a whole lot of rest."

His December can be understated, much like the time it took Dustin Johnson to fully recover from his back injury before the Masters last year.

Spieth is playing his sixth tournament of the year at the Valspar Championship, but part of him feels like it's January. All because of December, when he said he had only four one-hour practice sessions.

"I probably lost a full month, month-and-a-half out of it," Spieth said. "The problem was in that time coming back, the basic stuff after you take a couple of weeks off ... is the time you figure out all the basics: the ball position, the alignment issues. And then I was starting to have those problems, especially in the short game, while I was having to play tournaments. And so it adds to that frustration level."

It hasn't been a total flop. Spieth has had only two rounds over par, in the opening round of Kapalua and Phoenix. While he missed the cut in Phoenix, his worst other finish was a tie for 20th at Pebble Beach.

"I feel like right now my game is in the shape it would be after playing a couple of events," he said in Mexico. "The progression of that last three-week stretch (Phoenix, Pebble, Riviera) is the progression I normally experience the first few weeks of the year."

After the Valspar Championship, he is off next week before Match Play, the Houston Open and the Masters.

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/jordan-spieth-playing-catch-he-prepares-masters

Reactions: NoleinATL
Tony Finau has always been one of those guys I can never time right when I pick. If I pick him, he plays terribly and misses the cut. When I don't pick, but almost do...top 10.

That is Na for me, every time I pick the guy he has a huge blunder or a WD...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Wow. Spieth +5? The kid has lost his mojo.

Going to have to avoid him for a while I think. I thought this course where he as won would help his game. Obviously it did not.

Golf is a funny game, You can be hitting ball on the sweet spot every time and can every putt you look at one moment and then look like you have never touched a club before in the next.

There are some birdies on the course this morning. Scott Stallings in the clubhouse with a -6 65. Adam Scott -5 thru 16. A couple of other -4's. The leaders better come out firing.

Ouija and I had a conversation about this today. He/she/it said, "Screw me, I thought he was dead!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be interested to watch tomorrow , but from highlights , Tiger looks better with his irons than I thought he ever would with all his back issues.

Thank goodness for this, as I feel these three rounds have saved golf.

first of what I am sure will be many "Tiger's back" comments

On the only hole where this is measured, Tiger Woods' clubhead speed at the 14th on Saturday clocked at 129.2 miles per hour -- the highest in the field. In 2008, he averaged 124.6 MPH, which would have ranked second on the PGA Tour that season if he had enough rounds to qualify.

i
Bob Harig, ESPN Senior Writer

I know it is a get off my lawn comment,
but I hate the collarless golf shirts..spend a couple extra dollars and buy yourself a collar to go with that shirt pal

Reactions: Bobcat07
ADVERTISEMENT