Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 11 The Valspar Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • burns-trophy-1694-juliosguilar.jpg

TOP 10

All-time shots from the Valspar Championship​

Five of the top-10 players in the world are scheduled to tee it up at the Valspar Championship, led by second-ranked Collin Morikawa. World No. 3 Viktor Hovland is looking to build off a tie for third last season, while Sam Burns – now ranked 17th in the world – is hoping to defend his maiden PGA TOUR title.
FIELD NOTES: Morikawa, who already has five TOUR titles to his name, is set to make his Valspar Championship debut… Xander Schauffele and a pair of former FedExCup champions, Justin Thomas and Dustin Johnson, are the other top-10 golfers in the world scheduled to take on Innisbrook… Twenty of the world’s top-50 will be in the field… Jackson Suber, a star at the University of Mississippi and the 11th-ranked player in the PGA TOUR University Ranking presented by Velocity Global, is amongst the sponsor exemptions. Suber is from nearby Tampa, Florida… Jason Day, just two weeks removed from losing his mother to cancer, will tee it up. He returned to action at THE PLAYERS Championship… Abraham Ancer, who finished fifth in 2021, is set to return along with fellow International Presidents Cup hopeful Joaquin Niemann… Brooks Koepka is looking for his first win on TOUR since the WM Phoenix Open in 2021… Ryan Brehm, who won the Puerto Rico Open in the last start of a medical exemption, will be in the field after making his PLAYERS debut… Alex Fitzpatrick (brother of Matt Fitzpatrick, ranked 25th in the world) who is a celebrated golfer in his own right at Wake Forest also earned a sponsor exemption for winning the Valspar Intercollegiate. Alex is No. 5 in the PGA TOUR University Ranking presented by Velocity Global and a former member of Great Britain & Ireland’s Walker Cup team. Tommy Fleetwood, Martin Kaymer, and Bernd Wiesberger also were given sponsor exemptions… Sam Burns, Paul Casey, who won the Valspar in both 2018 and 2019, along with Adam Hadwin (2017), Charl Schwartzel (2016), Kevin Streelman (2013), and Luke Donald (2012) are some of the recent Valspar champions set to return.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Innisbrook Resort (Copperhead), par 71, 7,340 yards. The Copperhead Course – the second course built at Innisbrook – has long been considered a favorite by those on TOUR. Located just north of Tampa, this Larry Packard design is tree-lined and puts a premium on positioning off the tee. Sam Burns, the winner in 2021, had as complete an effort tee-to-green has anyone, which resulted in him finding the winner’s circle. Burns was fifth in Strokes Gained: Tee-to-Green and third in Strokes Gained: Putting a year ago. The course, opened in the early 1970s, features a tough three-hole closing stretch called the ‘Snake Pit’ – two tough par-4s sandwiched between a bruising 200-yard par 3.
STORYLINES: With several delays at THE PLAYERS Championship, it will be worth keeping an eye on the field leading into Thursday’s start at Innisbrook… Paul Casey was the first back-to-back winner in tournament history in 2018 and 2019… The tournament was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic but will welcome back spectators at 100% capacity for the first time since 2019… The Valspar Championship puts a bow on the TOUR’s Florida Swing.
72-HOLE RECORD: 266, Vijay Singh (2004).
18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Padraig Harrington (1st round, 2012).
LAST TIME: Sam Burns won for the first time on the PGA TOUR as the Valspar Championship returned to the TOUR’s schedule after being cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Burns, whose second-round 63 was tied for the low round of the week, won by three shots over Keegan Bradley. Burns had twice held 54-hole leads earlier in the season but was unable to convert both times. Bradley, meanwhile, was tied for the lead with six holes remaining in the final round but found the water with his tee shot on the par-3 13th, leading to double bogey. Bradley added another bogey on the par-3 15th and couldn’t mount a comeback. Despite a bogey on the 72nd hole, Burns’ 3-under 68 was more than enough to help him find the winner’s circle. Viktor Hovland’s 6-under 65 on Sunday was the round of the day, and that moved him into a tie for third with Cameron Triangle. Last year marked Hovland’s debut in Tampa. Abraham Ancer finished fifth alone, five shots back of Burns’ winning total.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (NBC).
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12–6 p.m. ET. Saturday-Sunday, 1–6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio)
For outside of the U.S., click here for GOLFTV powered by the PGA TOUR
PGA TOUR LIVE
ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Main Feed: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Main Feed: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.Main Feed: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee: 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Marquee: 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Marquee: 9 a.m.-1 p.m.Marquee: 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Groups: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Groups: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Groups: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 8:15 a.m.-12 p.m.Featured Holes: 8:15 a.m.-12 p.m.Featured Holes: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Holes: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
PGA TOUR Live is available exclusively on ESPN+
• Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
• Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
• Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
• Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes

On to Tampa this week

Not much scoring last week, so very little movement, @seminoleed maintains his overall season lead

Leader-thru-API-2022.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Last edited:
With my best smirk on my face, I told TGW, "Nice outing this week. You really racked up some points".

His glare froze my blood, and he said, "You're still in first place, aren't you, Buttercup? Want me to leave and let you try divining rods, gypsies and Ouija boards some more? Yes, I know all about you, you ungrateful wretch."

Crap. He's on to me. Now I'm stuck with him. Which means:

Viktor Hovland
Dustin Johnson
Collin Morikawa
Gary Woodland

[IMG alt="fsukenny"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/floridastate/data/avatars/m/3/3096.jpg?1452017849[/IMG]

fsukenny

Ultimate Seminole Insider​

Gold Member
28 minutes ago
Congrats on picking Cam Smith.
I’m on property all week. Saw Liz’s picks. Watched Woodland play a few holes today. He was just killing his driver. Spoke with John Daly. I really like the guy. Was an incredible talent. Some really bad life choices.
My picks so far are : 1. J Thomas
2. X. Schauffele
3. D Johnson
4. Hovland
Expecting some rain tonight and tomorrow if that affects anyone’s picks.
Good luck to all.

Ken…

Too many others were picking him. I'm more of a "road not taken" type.
Good strategy. I was just panicking in Detroit thinking that ANOTHER of my picks WD at the Eleventh hour (ala Matsuyama last week) and was gonna scramble to find a replacement. Much ado about nothing...:oops: Carry on, my top-of-the leaderboard son...:D

The Saudi league puts out a schedule.
Now 2 new leagues , should be an interesting summer

Reactions: cmanole
Thomas came out early on fire , tied for the lead thru 10 at -11

Reactions: cmanole
ADVERTISEMENT