PGSF FedEx Cup Week 13 The Dell Match Play Championship. Wednesday Start

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Bubba-847-MatchPlay-KK.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
    Bubba Watson's highlights from Sunday at Dell Match Play
Rory McIlroy, fresh off victory at THE PLAYERS Championship, seeks to extend his hot streak with a second Match Play crown while Dustin Johnson goes after back-to-back World Golf Championships titles as golf’s bracketology week hits Austin.

Tiger Woods, a three-time Match Play champ, returns for the first time since 2013 when the event still featured a straight-knockout format. He’s one of eight former champions in the field, along with two-time winner Jason Day and defending champ Bubba Watson.

FIELD NOTES: FedExCup titleholder Justin Rose returns to the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play for the first time since 2016, when the event made its debut at Austin Country Club. It’s the first Austin visit for Henrik Stenson, who last played the event in 2015. … In all, Austin CC is set to greet 62 of the world’s top 64 who qualified in the first pass. … Rickie Fowler and Adam Scott declined their spots, the second consecutive year each has opted to sit out. … Moving into the lineup are Satoshi Kodaira and Luke List. It’s the second straight year List has come in from the reserves. … Bryson DeChambeau, who came up just short of qualifying last year, is one of 10 players set for their WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play debuts. The Honda Classic champion Keith Mitchell makes his first WGC start of any kind. … World rankings determine the 16 top seeds, with blind draws to fill each group from pools of players seeded Nos. 17-32, Nos. 33-48 and the remainder. The draws will be televised Monday.

Field
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/wgc-dell-technologies-match-play/field.html

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 points.

STORYLINES: McIlroy, who rose above the pack on a crowded Sunday at TPC Sawgrass, hopes his stellar form carries over to the Match Play pods. He’s finished no worse than sixth since the calendar turned to 2019, and won the 2105 Match Play crown at TPC Harding Park. … Johnson takes aim at a second Mexico/Match Play double in three years, having captured both WGCs in 2017. He was a five-shot winner earlier this month in Mexico. … Woods gets his first look at Austin CC, having played his last at Dove Mountain in 2013. He lasted just one day that year, ousted by Charles Howell III, but is guaranteed three days under the group play instituted in 2015. … Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia both have a chance to surpass Woods for the all-time lead in matches played. Woods has teed it up in 43 matches, Poulter has 42 and Garcia sits at 41. … Woods’ 33 career match wins is still out of reach for any pursuer.

COURSE: Austin Country Club, 7,108 yards, par 71. Now in its fourth year as Match Play host, Pete Dye’s 1984 design is one of two distinctly different nines – a front nine on higher ground that showcases the Texas hill country, followed by a “lowlands” nine alongside Lake Austin that offers a scenic backdrop as matches wind down. Austin CC itself dates back to 1899, believed to be the oldest golf club in Texas, relocating twice before coming to its current site. Austin holds a place in TOUR history books as the original venue for the Legends of Golf in 1978, a tenure that ran through 1994.

For those visiting the Austin area, must-play courses include Wolfdancer GC (Lost Pines, Texas) and Falconhead GC (Austin, Texas). Book your reservations via TeeOff.com.

LARGEST MARGIN OF VICTORY: 9 & 8, Tiger Woods def. Stephen Ames (1st round, 2006 at La Costa Resort & Spa).

LONGEST MATCH: 26 holes, Mike Weir def. Loren Roberts (1st round, 2003 at La Costa), Scott Verplank def. Lee Westwood (1st round, 2006 at La Costa).

LAST YEAR: Watson powered his way to a second WGC crown, taking advantage of Kevin Kisner’s fatigue for a 7&6 victory that was the most lopsided since the final went to 18 holes in 2011. Watson never trailed in the 28 holes he played on the final day, which began with a 3&2 semifinal win over Justin Thomas. Kisner needed 19 holes to dispatch Sweden’s Alex Noren in his semifinal, and the toll showed from the first tee of the championship match. Kisner fell behind 5-down through five holes, turning the rest of the match into an anticlimax. Though Kisner staved off a quicker exit with a birdie at No. 11, Watson ended it one hole later with a birdie on the par-5 12th. The trophy was Watson’s second in a span of four starts, following a win at the Genesis Open.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Draw Show, Monday, 6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Wednesday-Friday, 2-8 p.m. (Golf Channel). Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (GC), 2-6 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (GC), 3-7 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Wednesday-Friday, 10:15 a.m.-8 p.m. ET (featured groups). Saturday, 9:45 a.m.-2 p.m. (featured groups). International subscribers (via GOLF.TV): Wednesday-Friday, 14:15 to 00:00 GMT. Saturday, 13:45 to 18:00.

RADIO: Wednesday-Friday, 2-8 p.m. ET. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @ktnole

@Bill From Tampa maintains his overall season lead
Leader%20thru%20Valspar%2019_zpszpcot5gh.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
DJ, JT, Rors and Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiger...

Molinari
Dechambeau
McIlroy
Rahm

I tried to stay away from some of my normal favorites since the brackets had too many crossovers...several guys had to play each other even within their own pods/groups. And no Spieth for me this week-oh well...wasn't sure he'd get out of his own pool right now...:(...I am a bad fan.

Paul Casey
Tommy Fleetwood
Rory McIlroy
Ian Poulter

Special shout out to the Commish for the Twitter reminder. Thanks brother.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I appericate the kind words @Bobcat07 and @fsu67810 but if @NoleLizards hadnt reminded everyone with his first post this week I might be rolling over picks myself. Thanks again Liz
Always happy to help if I catch something.

Is anyone else questioning how this event is scheduled since going to this round robin format a few years back? I don't particularly care for the way the knockout portion is jammed into 2 days after stretching out the initial portion one match per day per player.

Late edit: Actually two days.

Last edited:
Always happy to help if I catch something.

Is anyone else questioning how this event is scheduled since going to this round robin format a few years back? I don't particularly care for the way the knockout portion is jammed into 3 days after stretching out the initial portion one match per day per player.
Yeah, not a fan of how the players have to compress a lot of Golf into Saturday and Sunday. I get why because of March Madness that they are trying to keep the viewers engaged when there aren't games on, but seems like they could schedule it a little better.

Yeah, not a fan of how the players have to compress a lot of Golf into Saturday and Sunday. I get why because of March Madness that they are trying to keep the viewers engaged when there aren't games on, but seems like they could schedule it a little better.
Don't think there's a viable solution other than making it basically a weeklong event following a week without a tournament.

How convenient that Tiger's starting his match just as TV coverage commences.

Meanwhile, Leishman & Barnrat are in the stretch run of their match. The 19th hole better have their grill firing up!

Last edited:
How convenient that Tiger's starting his match just as TV coverage commences.

Meanwhile, Leishman & Barnrat are in the stretch run of their match. The 19th hole better have their grill firing up!

Tiger = $$$

I get more kicks out of following the shot-to-shot progression on yahoo...watching one of my guys right now...Johnnie Rahm

"I like you Spaniard...I shall cheer for you..."

Clutch late comeback by Rose today to salvage half a point!

Bubba never seems to be dialed in when i pick him.

10 minutes from first tee. Looking forward to this today. SOOO happy the wife had a prior engagement that I was not obligated to attend

I have been unable to watch any golf for the last couple of weeks until right now. And the first shot I saw was Tiger kneeling on both knees hitting a ball from under a bush with a right handed club but left handed to withing 3-4 feet of the cup and then make the putt.

That was one heck of an up and down.

Not sure where that was in the round/tournament. I assume it was in today's round vs Rory.

Less than 2 weeks from Augusta, this round could be what derails Rory's chances there. He's realllyyyyyyyy struggling on the greens today (whether it be some sort of hitch in his giddy-up, or cracking under the pressure vs Tiger) and that's not a good thing to get into his head right before trying to play The Masters.

So now Na has come back to square the match with Rose thru 13. I'm in serious danger of not having any of my guys in the quarters. :confused:

Less than 2 weeks from Augusta, this round could be what derails Rory's chances there. He's realllyyyyyyyy struggling on the greens today (whether it be some sort of hitch in his giddy-up, or cracking under the pressure vs Tiger) and that's not a good thing to get into his head right before trying to play The Masters.

Rory has not putted well for some time now. Personally I would consider him for the Masters but he might not make my team. Putting is too erratic.

Man, did Rory make a mess of that hole. He had an absolute advantage over Tiger and now he is about to lose the match. Incredibly bad shots from a pro like Rory.

I figured it being overcast, cool, & windy would favor Rory...Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT