PGSF FedEx Cup Week 14 The Valero Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • landry-847-michaelreaves.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Andrew Landry wins his first TOUR event at Valero
Matt Kuchar, twice a winner in 2018-19, and Rickie Fowler spark a roster of more than a dozen players set to play one of the PGA TOUR’s longest-running events.

J.B. Holmes (Genesis Open), Adam Long (Desert Classic) and Cameron Champ (Sanderson Farms) give TPC San Antonio five entrants with a win already on their season portfolio.

FIELD NOTES: Jordan Spieth returns to TPC San Antonio for the first time since 2015. He remains in search of just his second PGA TOUR win in his home state. … Hall of Famer Ernie Els and former major winners Padraig Harrington, Graeme McDowell and Jason Dufner are among those pursuing a longshot win for the final Masters spot. … Harrington is set for his first U.S. start since a broken wrist suffered over the Christmas break.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: TPC San Antonio takes center stage, offering a different look from past Valero Texas Opens as fairways are widened and shorter rough. ... Fowler tees it up for the first time since THE PLAYERS Championship. … Defending champ Andrew Landry seeks to become the third man this century to win back-to-back in San Antonio. Justin Leonard did it in 2000-01, followed by Zach Johnson in 2008-09.

COURSE: TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks), 7,435 yards, par 72. Set among native oaks of Texas Hill Country, the 2010 Greg Norman design – with an assist from Sergio Garcia – seeks a balance between traditional tree-lined fairways and multiple strategic options. Native plants and grasses are used throughout the course, giving a minimalist look that generally follows the oaks’ canopy. The course offers just 100 feet of elevation change, with downhill holes playing into the prevailing wind and uphill holes playing downwind. The Oaks’ most memorable moment may have come in 2011, when Kevin Na carded a 16 at the par-4 ninth hole after a stubborn battle with rocks and underbrush. A year later, Na returned with a chainsaw for a good-natured publicity shoot.

For those visiting the San Antonio area, must-play courses include La Cantera GC (San Antonio), The Quarry GC (San Antonio) and Canyon Springs GC (San Antonio). Book your reservations via TeeOff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD: 254, Tommy Armour III (2003 at La Cantera). TPC San Antonio record: 271, Andrew Landry (2018).

18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Bart Bryant (3rd round, 2004 at La Cantera), Zach Johnson (3rd round, 2009 at La Cantera). TPC San Antonio record: 62, Trey Mullinax (3rd round, 2018).

LAST YEAR: Landry made his first PGA TOUR victory a home-state triumph, outdueling Johnson and Trey Mullinax for a two-shot win that made him the 19th Lone Star winner in the VTO’s long history. The native of Port Neches, Texas, separated himself with four birdies in his first six holes on the final day, posting a 4-under-par 68 that left him two shots clear of Mullinax and fellow Texas native Sean O’Hair. Landry’s winning score of 17-under 271 was the lowest since the event moved to TPC San Antonio. It was his second start following a seven-week layoff for the birth of his first child – daughter Brooks – though he lost a playoff to Jon Rahm four months earlier at the Desert Classic. Mullinax closed with a 69 for his best career finish; O’Hair’s birdie/birdie finish capped a 66 that gave him a share of second.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 4-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1-3:30 p.m. (GC), 3:30-6 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 2:30-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. (featured groups). Saturday, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (featured groups), 3:30-6 p.m. (featured holes). Sunday, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (featured groups), 2:30-6 p.m. (featured holes). International subscribers (via GOLF.tv): Thursday-Friday, 12:30 to 23:00 GMT. Saturday-Sunday, 15:00 to 22:00.

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @fsUTampa

@Bill From Tampa maintains his season long lead

Leader%20thru%20dell%2019_zpspu00zgpo.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleLizards
The daffy, deadly divining rod has rested through his Spring Break and encourages me to select:

Ricky Fowler
Jim Furyk
Matt Kuchar
Jordan Spieth

Woke up this morning and thought it was Thursday and I missed the entry cut-off...I have been reading so much about the Masters and the Women's AM at Augusta coming up, that I have lost track of time...

Finau
Fowler
Horschel
Spieth

That is all...:D

Reactions: NoleinATL
As the most recent victor, can I propose a rule? Have a link to the given week's field in the OP each week? Navigating the g-d pgatour.com website is a nightmare!

Moore
Fowler
Finau
Hoffman

As the most recent victor, can I propose a rule? Have a link to the given week's field in the OP each week? Navigating the g-d pgatour.com website is a nightmare!

Moore
Fowler
Finau
Hoffman

That is my bad @fsUTampa , I usually link the field under field notes but this week I was so perplexed about the scoring and looking at every site I could I forgot. Going forward look in first post and it will be in bold as Field under field notes

Reactions: fsUTampa
Horschel always plays very well in San Antonio and probably is one of the safest picks this week, but I'm not going to make up the point deficit in one week so I will stick to my no gator picking principle.

BC - you are a better man than I - I went for the shameless (possible) point grab...Billy-gate may go "MC" and serve me some karma...either way, lesson learned for future events...

BC - you are a better man than I - I went for the shameless (possible) point grab...Billy-gate may go "MC" and serve me some karma...either way, lesson learned for future events...
No, I completely understand you picking him and was just giving you all a hard time. I just hate the gators that much that I'll sacrifice points to avoid picking them (and probably cost me).

Nice to see Smylie Kaufman back after a long absence and under par in his first PGA tour round since last Summer. Hope I didn't just jinx him by posting this.

That is my bad @fsUTampa , I usually link the field under field notes but this week I was so perplexed about the scoring and looking at every site I could I forgot. Going forward look in first post and it will be in bold as Field under field notes

Thanks!

Weather is supposed to be bad here tomorrow and Sunday, not sure how that might effect San Antonio. Hopefully no WDs for anyone with picks already qualified for Augusta if there are substantial delays.

No, I completely understand you picking him and was just giving you all a hard time. I just hate the gators that much that I'll sacrifice points to avoid picking them (and probably cost me).

No worries...I am learning my lesson just watching his round right now (Rd 2). No points should be worth the agony and aggravation of picking a gate...:( serves me right...can someone say, "possible MC". Thanks, Billy...I would have been better off going with Judge Smails...

Reactions: NoleLizards
No worries...I am learning my lesson just watching his round right now (Rd 2). No points should be worth the agony and aggravation of picking a gate...:( serves me right...can someone say, "possible MC". Thanks, Billy...I would have been better off going with Judge Smails...
84ebe4f712c6f2fe4e475b1a20a2062e.jpg

Reactions: Nolerball
Now I am watching the fairway destruction of him-who-can-not-be-named (cough-Billy-oh-Billy-Billy-Billy...). This is almost as bad as watching your last scoop of ice cream melt on a hot August afternoon before you get to the waffle cone...5 away from the cut with 5 to play. I am not sure even Arnie could have rallied the troops on this one. Bobcat - I'll come back later for the necessary "I told you so-s"...ugh.

Si Woo Kim is explosively streaky and can go very low every now and then. My problem is that I never guess right on him. :(

Last edited:
little late start , tee times delayed due to weather. Last group goes off 130pm today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT