ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 16 The RBC Heritage

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • kodaira-847-streeterlecka.jpg
    Satoshi Kodaira is the defending champion at RBC Heritage. (Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
FedExCup leader Matt Kuchar is joined by recent World Golf Championships winners Dustin Johnson and Kevin Kisner – both South Carolina natives – as the PGA TOUR transfers from Augusta National to unwind on Hilton Head Island.

Jordan Spieth, who in 2015 was the last Masters winner to tee it up at Harbour Town, returns for the first time since placing 11th that year. Bryson DeChambeau and British Open titleholder Francesco Molinari add to a strong marquee to challenge Satoshi Kodaira's title defense in the week after the Masters.

FIELD NOTES: Xander Schauffele, No.3 in the FedExCup standings, and Honda Classic winner Keith Mitchell help give the field 17 of the top 30 in the season points race. … Davis Love III, a five-time winner at Harbour Town, is set to tee it up in a record 31st start in the event. That breaks a tie with Jay Haas. … Corey Conners, whose win at the Valero Texas Open earned him the final Masters berth, will tee it up for the fourth consecutive week and sixth in his past seven. … South Africa’s Justin Harding, a European Tour winner last month who fired an opening 69 at Augusta, will stay stateside after getting a late invitation.

STORYLINES: Kisner, who beat Kuchar in the WGC Dell Technologies Match Play final, seeks to add to his trophy count at a place he feels at home. He was a playoff loser to Jim Furyk in 2015, the first of three top-11 finishes in the past four editions. … Johnson takes on Harbour Town for the second straight year after an eight-year absence. The WGC Mexico Championship titleholder tied for 16th last year. … Luke Donald, five times a runner-up at Harbour Town, tries once again for that elusive RBC Heritage win. He has seven top-3 finishes in the past 10 editions, but missed the cut last year before an injury layoff. … Each of the past six winners at Harbour Town has rallied from at least three shots back on the final day. Carl Pettersson was the last to close out a 54-hole lead, winning by five in 2012. … No defending champion has missed the Heritage cut since Love in 1993 – a run now at 24. Furyk gets an asterisk, unable to defend in 2016 with injury.

COURSE: Harbour Town Golf Links, 7,099 yards, par 71. The only tournament site the RBC Heritage has ever known, the Pete Dye/Jack Nicklaus collaboration begins its sixth decade in use after putting both men on the design map. Narrow fairways framed by live oaks and pines give way to a Scottish approach around the greens, with strategic bunkers and small, deftly contoured putting surfaces. Though Harbour Town lost some 300 trees when Hurricane Matthew struck the island in October 2016, replacements have taken hold in key locales. Harbour Town’s iconic red-and-white lighthouse behind the 18th green still helps vessels navigate Calibogue Sound.

For those visiting South Carolina’s Lowcountry, must-play courses include Palmetto Hall Plantation (Hilton Head Island, S.C.), The Club at Savannah Harbor (Savannah, Ga.) and Dolphin Head GC (Hilton Head Island, S.C.). Book your reservations via TeeOff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD: 264, Brian Gay (2009).

18-HOLE RECORD: 61, David Frost (2nd round, 1994), Troy Merritt (2nd round, 2015).

LAST YEAR: Hoping just to play well enough for another PGA TOUR start, Kodaira wound up earning full membership with a sizzling charge from six shots back to outlast Si Woo Kim in a playoff. Kodaira fired a 5-under-par 66 on the final day, fearful that a bogey at No.17 would deny him a top-10 finish that would get him another start. But with winds intensifying as storms approached, only two men in the final five threesomes managed to break 70. Kim’s 71 managed to force extra holes with a 71, limping home with three bogeys in his final six. Both parred two replays of Harbour Town’s 18th, then went to the par-3 17th where Kodaira drained a 25-foot birdie for the victory. A six-time winner on the Japan Tour, Kodaira was making just his fifth start in a TOUR event that wasn’t a major or World Golf Championships stop.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7:15 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured groups). Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). International subscribers (via GOLF.tv): Thursday-Friday, 11:15 to 22:00 GMT. Saturday-Sunday, 13:00 to 22:00.

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Coming off a great first major, the PGSF goes to South Carolina for one of my favorite non major events.

Congratulations again to this years first major winner @Bobcat07

@Bill From Tampa maintains his overall season lead but @ktnole makes a big jump into second place

Leader%20thru%20Masters%2019_zpsydoxtkbz.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
When I first opened this, my immediate thought was "I don't remember Jason Day winning this last year."

Cantlay
DJ
Molinari
Schauffele

The docile, Draconian divining rod has suggested I should go with:

Patrick Cantlay
Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar
Xander Shoofly

Good read about leaving flagstick in when putting.

Dechambeau, Schaufelle, Molinari, and Kim (picking him because I have a headache after trying to correctly spell the others)

Reactions: seminoleed
Dechambeau, Schaufelle, Molinari, and Kim (picking him because I have a headache after trying to correctly spell the others)
I'm not going to feel too bad risking exacerbating your headache since the stress of tax season has passed...But I'm simply pointing out that there are three Kims in the field.

I'm not going to feel too bad risking exacerbating your headache since the stress of tax season has passed...But I'm simply pointing out that there are three Kims in the field.

Does Sea get a flyer to say that he picked 'Kim' if one, two or all three crack the upper echelon and snag him points? o_O Probably not...and that makes me think - what if I selected Hoffman...could one wiggle through it with two in the field? I am guessing again - not - so perhaps its better that I went with Schauffele...

Reactions: NoleinATL
Does Sea get a flyer to say that he picked 'Kim' if one, two or all three crack the upper echelon and snag him points? o_O Probably not...and that makes me think - what if I selected Hoffman...could one wiggle through it with two in the field? I am guessing again - not - so perhaps its better that I went with Schauffele...
Morgan has two n's on the end of his name...So no worries. ;)

Blindly throwing some darts here with some off the wall picks....

Hossler
An
Moore
Cejka

This year's tournament has more big names than I remember in the past. That, or all the names just mail it in the week after the Masters at this one.

We will have to cut @SeaPA a break considering it is tax season and with what happened to the Lightning ( ouch)

Blindly throwing some darts here with some off the wall picks....

Hossler
An
Moore
Cejka

This year's tournament has more big names than I remember in the past. That, or all the names just mail it in the week after the Masters at this one.

Hossler: +5 (T126)
An: +3 (T109)
Cejka: +3 (T109)

At least there's Moore (-5), but let this be a lesson....don't blindly throw darts.

Ha, didn’t realize there were three. Never heard of the other two, my intended pick was Si Woo on the wrong side of the cut line.

They are all tied at +2 after the first round, and will probably be playing in the weekend skins game at a local Muny this weekend

I lived in Korea for 2 years. There is a saying that if you throw a rock off a hill in Seoul, you'll
hit Mr. Kim. That is not much of an exaggeration.
Literally 20% of Koreans have a surname of Kim.
Add in the next 2 most common names (Lee, Park) and you get 45% of all Koreans.

By comparison, Smith makes up about 1% of US surnames.

Damnn. Tough week for my picks. 3 missed cuts and a possible MDF.

Spieth got the announcer's curse. After he chipped in for birdie on the 4th to go -6, Justin Leonard commented how his game was headed in the right direction.

Since then he has dropped 4 strokes on two DBs.

DJ is the most ho hum guy I can remember. He is draining putts all over the back nine and just saunters up to grab the ball like it was a gimme

Reactions: NoleLizards
Not a great shot by Cantlay needing birdie to tie

ADVERTISEMENT