ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 17 The Mexico Open at Vidanta

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Abraham Ancer is set to compete at the Mexico Open at Vidanta. (Chuck Burton/Getty Images)
    Abraham Ancer is set to compete at the Mexico Open at Vidanta. (Chuck Burton/Getty Images)
The PGA TOUR added a second event in Mexico to its schedule with January's announcement of the Mexico Open at Vidanta.
Vidanta Vallarta will host the event for the next three years.
World No. 3 Jon Rahm headlines the field, with plenty of home-country talent trying to lift a trophy on Mexican soil.
FIELD NOTES: Rahm tees it up for the first time since the Masters. He’s the highest-ranked player in the field … Abraham Ancer leads the Mexican contingent at Vidanta Vallarta alongside fellow TOUR winner Carlos Ortiz and Korn Ferry Tour winner Roberto Diaz … Major champs Gary Woodland, Graeme McDowell and Patrick Reed are set to tee it up … Multi-time TOUR winners Tony Finau, Daniel Berger, Cameron Champ and Kevin Na are in the field … Several 2020-21 Korn Ferry Tour graduates are teeing it up and looking to lock up PGA TOUR status for next season with a solid effort this week … The Monday qualifier already occurred. Patrick Flavin, Jeffrey Kang, Turk Pettit and Bryson Nimmer earned their way into the field. Flavin and Pettit advanced via a 6-for-2 playoff.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Vidanta Vallarta, par 71, 7,456 yards. This Greg Norman design opened in 2015. There are large landing areas off the tee, while the greens are protected by cavernous bunkers. The course meanders along the Ameca River, with views of the Sierra Madres offered on every hole.

STORYLINES: The Mexico Open is considered the country’s national golf championship and was first contested in 1944. It boasts winners like Lee Trevino, Billy Casper, Roberto De Vicenzo, Ben Crenshaw and Stewart Cink … Four native Mexican golfers have won on the PGA TOUR. Abraham Ancer was the most recent – he captured the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational in 2021 … This will be the second event in Mexico on the 2021-22 PGA TOUR schedule, as Viktor Hovland won the World Wide Technology Championship at Mayakoba in November … 250 yards were added to the golf course from its original design in preparation for the arrival of the PGA TOUR, along with 51 new bunkers (for a total of 106).
72-HOLE RECORD: N/A
18-HOLE RECORD: N/A
LAST TIME: This is the first Mexico Open on the PGA TOUR calendar. Patrick Reed won the former World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship in 2020, the last time it was contested in Mexico City, while Alvaro Ortiz (brother of Carlos) won the 2021 Abierto Mexicano de Golf.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS)
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.–6:30 p.m. ET. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.–6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio)
For outside of the U.S., click here for GOLFTV powered by the PGA TOUR

PGA TOUR LIVE

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 8:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Main Feed: 8:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Main Feed: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Main Feed: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee: 9:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Marquee: 9:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Marquee: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Marquee: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Featured Groups: 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Featured Groups: 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Groups: 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
PGA TOUR Live is available exclusively on ESPN+
• Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
• Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
• Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
• Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes

Congratulations again to last weeks winner Richard Murray

With a strong week by 2nd place, we have a a first ( as far as I can remember) a tie for 1st place overall

@seminoleed moves into a tie for 1st with @DFSNOLE

Leader-thru-Zurich2022.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited by a moderator:
Perusing the field for this event starting giving me a strange vibe: there's one obvious choice, but I feel like there's gonna be some relative unknowns showing out this week. So, I'll take the obvious, and throw in a couple of names that twit TGW probably has never heard of.

Matt Jones
Patrick Rodgers
Jon Rahm
Gary Woodland

Rahm takes the lead, he was a heavy favorite to win for a reason. Went off at some books as low as +300 to win outright. Crazy

NiA and Liz - the NFL Draft is less than 30 minutes away. What happened to y'all's mock for this year? I know, it's not the-greatest-game-ever related, but still. How can I watch tonight (and Friday & Saturday) without your cheat sheets? Or was the one last year a one time thing?

Reactions: NoleinATL
NiA and Liz - the NFL Draft is less than 30 minutes away. What happened to y'all's mock for this year? I know, it's not the-greatest-game-ever related, but still. How can I watch tonight (and Friday & Saturday) without your cheat sheets? Or was the one last year a one time thing?
Used to love doing it, but it got to the point where no one was interested in participating.

Used to love doing it, but it got to the point where no one was interested in participating.

I loved doing the PGSF draft, I learned so much about random players..
Glad we got the Covid year in, not enough people that want to join to do it anymore. At its peak I think there were 25 or so people picking and that was fun

Reactions: NoleLizards
Popular pick Ancer needs to get hot on his back nine ( started 10) , currently even and cut line is -2 with most of the leaders still waiting to tee off today

Reactions: NoleLizards
Popular pick Ancer needs to get hot on his back nine ( started 10) , currently even and cut line is -2 with most of the leaders still waiting to tee off today
He needs to borrow some of Emiliano Grillo's mojo 😉

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT