PGSF FedEx Cup Week 17 The Zurich Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • CamSmith847.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Cameron Smith and Jonas Blixt win playoff at Zurich
Masters champion Patrick Reed tees it up for the first time since slipping his arms into the green jacket, teaming with Patrick Cantlay as the PGA TOUR’s only two-man format returns to New Orleans for a second year.

FedExCup leader Justin Thomas (with Bud Cauley) and Jordan Spieth (with Ryan Palmer) also begin their post-Masters schedule, each retaining their partners from a year ago. The format calls for best-ball play Thursday and Saturday, alternate-shot Friday and Sunday.

FIELD WATCH: U.S. Open champion Brooks Koepka, idled by a wrist injury since the Sentry Tournament of Champions, starts his return at Zurich. Facing a shortage of potential partners, Koepka drafted Marc Turnesa, a winner 10 years ago and fellow South Florida resident. … Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson reprise their Olympic gold/silver pairing for a second year, one of three duos featuring both players among the world’s top 25. The others: Sergio Garcia/Rafael Cabrera Bello and Bubba Watson/Matt Kuchar. … In all, 18 of the rankings’ current top 30 are entered. … Wisconsin natives Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly, now 1-2 in Charles Schwab Cup points on the PGA TOUR Champions, return for a second year. They tied for 14th a year ago. … David Duval steps down from the Golf Channel booth to tee it up alongside U.S. Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk. … John Daly is another recent entry, bringing Rory Sabbatini as his partner.

FEDEXCUP: Winning partners receive 400 points apiece.

STORYLINES: Jonas Blixt and Cameron Smith defend their title against a deeper field than in Year 1 of the two-man format. Garcia, Jon Rahm and Tommy Fleetwood are among those who added Zurich to their schedules this year. … FedExCup points are distributed as though partners tied. As an example, the champions split the 500 points usually given to a tournament winner and 300 for second place – coming out to 400 points each. … Weekend rounds will feature walkup music for each duo on the first tee, becoming the first PGA TOUR stop to employ that twist. … Stricker, Kelly and Daly come to New Orleans fresh from the Legends of Golf, giving them a head start on the team dynamic. … Five of the past six editions have crowned a first-time winner, including Smith last year. … It’s the last week for players to secure a berth in THE PLAYERS Championship by cracking the top 10 in FedExCup points or top 50 of the world rankings. That said, the rankings system does not award points for tandem events.

COURSE: TPC Louisiana, 7,425 yards, par 72. Tucked amid some 250 acres of wetlands, the Pete Dye creation winds through cypress and oak trees that create a secluded setting just 15 minutes from downtown New Orleans. Though water looms throughout the layout, TPC Louisiana ranked among the PGA TOUR’s top third to go low even before the team format was introduced. Dye, with consultants Steve Elkington and Kelly Gibson, added more than 100 bunkers and five ponds to increase the difficulty, and several large waste bunkers also are featured early in the back nine. The Zurich Classic first played there in 2005 and has made it its permanent home since 2007.

72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Cameron Smith/Jonas Blixt (2017), Kevin Kisner/Scott Brown (2017). Individual record: 262, Chip Beck (1988 at Lakewood CC).

ALTERNATE SHOT RECORD: 66, Jordan Spieth/Ryan Palmer (1st round, 2017), Kyle Stanley/Ryan Ruffels (1st round, 2017).

BEST BALL RECORD: 60, Retief Goosen/Tyrone van Aswegen (2nd round, 2017), Kevin Kisner/Scott Brown (4th round, 2017).

LAST YEAR: The Zurich’s first team edition needed an extra day to settle a playoff, before Smith’s best-ball birdie on the fourth extra hole locked up the trophy alongside Blixt. The duo appeared set to win in regulation before Kevin Kisner/Scott Brown pulled even in Sunday’s fading light with a Kisner holeout from 30 yards away. Thunderstorms had delayed play earlier in the afternoon, leaving no light for a playoff. Returning in the morning, the first three playoff holes saw nothing but pars before Smith stuck his wedge at the par-5 18th inside three feet for the decider. Smith notched his first PGA TOUR triumph at the age of 23, while Blixt recorded his third victory. The playoff loss was all too familiar for Kisner, who dropped to 0-4 in extra holes.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 2:30-6:30 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6:30 p.m. (featured holes). Friday, 9:15 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6:30 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-6:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

In the PGSF , we roll into Louisiana for the team tournament.
As we did last year , we will pick 4 teams and points will be rewarded based on ponts received by the individual.

@NoleLizards strectches his lead with another win this week

Leader%20thru%20Valero_zpszjt0s6by.png

Good Luck this week to everyone

Last edited:
Hoffman / Watney
Snedeker / Holmes
Poulter / McDowell
Spieth / Palmer

Last edited:
The All-Knowing, All-Omniscient Ouija Board told me, "See? This is my meat and potatoes. Other posters are already confused, but I have the skinny on all this."

Hmmm....we shall see.

Bud Cauley
Ryan Palmer
Jordan Spieth
Justin Thomas

Then I am confused as how players are picked. For example Spieth is paired with Palmer. So if it is best ball, that is not exactly Spieth's score if I pick a traditional four man team this week.

Last year we picked 4 teams

Thanks for the clarification, NiA. Allow me to rack my brain...

Reed/Cantlay
Rose/Stenson
Spieth/Palmer
Thomas/Cauley

:D;)

Reactions: NoleinATL
Reed/Cantlay
Kelly/Stricker
Kisner/Brown
Spieth/Palmer

Charley Hoffman/Nick Watney
Patrick Reed/Patrick Cantlay
Justin Rose/Henrik Stenson
Justin Thomas/Bud Cauley

The Justin Thomas team was quite the popular pick. Carding a mere -2 70 in best ball today is not a good harbinger, however.

The Justin Thomas team was quite the popular pick. Carding a mere -2 70 in best ball today is not a good harbinger, however.

They were dead at 9:23 Wednesday morning, almost 24 hours before the tournament started. If you got stuck with them can only blame yourself.

Reactions: seminoleed
Good job Jordan .......... two shots in a row in the water. Just might have taken your team out of making the cut.

Palmer follows up on shot #4 by putting a fried egg into a green side bunker.

Scratch two of my teams off the weekend. :oops:

Probably did not want to let his partner down as they probably signed up to play this tourney long ago. Seems to have worked out well considering where they are on the leader board.

I really enjoy this format , would like to see another tournament or two make the change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT