ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 17 The Zurich Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • horschelpiercy-847-chrisgraythen.jpg
    Billy Horschel and Scott Piercy are defending champions at the Zurich Classic. (Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Brooks Koepka makes his first start since his share of second at the Masters, reunited with younger brother Chase as the PGA TOUR’s only two-man format conducts its third edition on the outskirts of New Orleans.

Kevin Kisner and Scott Brown, who lost a playoff in the Zurich’s first team edition and held the 54-hole lead last year, return again to take another crack at the elusive title. Billy Horschel and Scott Piercy are defending champions; the format calls for best-ball play Thursday and alternate-shot Friday and Sunday.

FIELD WATCH: A handful of prominent pros are changing up partners this year. Henrik Stenson, who partnered with Justin Rose twice in an Olympic gold/silver partnership, loses Rose but picks up another major winner in Graeme McDowell. There’s also a new major-winning Australian duo as Adam Scott tests the team event with Jason Day. Plus, Sergio Garcia plucks Ryder Cup teammate Tommy Fleetwood. … In all, five teams feature major champions on both sides of the equation. The others: Louis Oosthuizen/Charl Schwartzel, Jim Furyk/David Duval and Ernie Els/Trevor Immelman. … Wisconsin natives Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly, both winners on PGA TOUR Champions, are back for a third run. They opted to team up in New Orleans rather than the concurrent Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf on the Champions circuit. … Davis Love III takes part in the team format for the first time, bringing son Dru for the event’s first father/son combination.

FEDEXCUP: Winning partners receive 400 points apiece.

STORYLINES: Koepka, whose bid for a third major crown in 10 months went astray with a short birdie miss at Augusta National’s 18th, gets back into the swing with the help of his brother. Chase Koepka played on the European Tour last year; they tied for fifth at Zurich in 2017. … FedExCup points are distributed as though partners tied. As an example, the champions split the 500 points usually given to a tournament winner and 300 for second place – coming out to 400 points each. … Five of the past seven editions have crowned a first-time winner, including Cameron Smith in its first year in the team format. He paired with Jonas Blixt.

COURSE: TPC Louisiana, 7,425 yards, par 72. Located just 15 minutes from downtown New Orleans, the Pete Dye creation invites birdies event as it meanders through some 250 acres of wetlands. Stately stands of cypress and oak trees helped form the routing for Dye and consultants Steve Elkington and Kelly Gibson, who added more than 100 bunkers and five more ponds to increase the difficulty. Several large waste bunkers also are featured early in the back nine. Though water looms throughout the design, TPC Louisiana ranked among the PGA TOUR’s top third to go low even before the team format was introduced. The Zurich Classic first played there in 2005 and has made it its permanent home since 2007.

For those visiting the New Orleans area, must-play courses include TPC Louisiana (Avondale, La.), Lakewood GC (New Orleans) and Bayou Oaks at City Park (New Orleans). Book your reservations via TeeOff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Cameron Smith/Jonas Blixt (2017), Kevin Kisner/Scott Brown (2017). Individual record: 262, Chip Beck (1988 at Lakewood CC).

ALTERNATE SHOT RECORD: 66, Jordan Spieth/Ryan Palmer (1st round, 2017), Kyle Stanley/Ryan Ruffels (1st round, 2017).

BEST BALL RECORD: 60, Retief Goosen/Tyrone van Aswegen (2nd round, 2017), Kevin Kisner/Scott Brown (4th round, 2017), Chez Reavie/Lucas Glover (1st round, 2018), Marty Dou/Xinjun Zhang (1st round, 2018).

LAST YEAR: Horschel and Piercy overcame a three-shot deficit with a bogey-free 67 in alternate shot, enough to hold off Jason Dufner/Pat Perez by a stroke. Birdies at Nos. 10 and 11 propelled Horschel/Piercy to the front, holding steady with seven pars the rest of the way to finish at 22-under-par 266. Dufner had a chance to force a playoff with a 14-foot birdie putt at No.18, but couldn’t get it to drop. The victory was Horschel’s fifth on TOUR and Piercy’s fourth, with Horschel also becoming the first man to win the Zurich Classic title in both individual and team play. His first PGA TOUR win came at the 2013 edition. Kisner and Brown took a one-shot lead into the final day, but faded on the back nine on the way to a 77 that dropped them into a share of fifth.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday, 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (featured groups). Friday, 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (featured groups). Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). International subscribers (via GOLF.tv): Thursday, 12:00 to 22:30 GMT. Friday, 13:00 to 22:30. Saturday-Sunday, 13:00 to 22:00.

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-6:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

We head to the team tournament, just a great idea by Zurich Classic and PGA to make this tournament work.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @seminoleed

@Bill From Tampa maintains his overall lead with @seminoleed closing in

Leader%20thru%20RBC%2019_zpszx1fs8tf.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
As with previous years, we are picking 4 teams

WOO-HOO!!! I wondered about that...so we get 8 Men Out...?! I couldn't figure out if I'd have to break apart some teams just to get my guys...but what if I want to pick someone who is partnered with, say, a gator...Horschel-cough-hack-cough...I'll have to take the Bobcat approach of - no gates, none of the time...

Koepka/Koepka
Horschel/Piercy
Kisner/Brown
Rahm/Palmer

Damnit! The dwarfish, dyadic divining rod informs me that it can't predict pairs, says I'm on my own. Win one time, and acts like it's all that and a bag of chips. Sooooooooooo.,,,,

Day and Scot
Garcia and Fleetwood
The Koepkas--Brooks and Chase
The Patricks--Reed and Cantlay

Little where are they now snippet from past player

Damnit! The dwarfish, dyadic divining rod informs me that it can't predict pairs, says I'm on my own. Win one time, and acts like it's all that and a bag of chips. Sooooooooooo.,,,,

Day and Scot
Garcia and Fleetwood
The Koepkas--Brooks and Chase
The Patricks--Reed and Cantlay

I thought most rods came with a pair - two reels (one heavy weight, one light gauge) per rod...? o_O

Reactions: seminoleed
Ancer/Vegas
Cantlay/Reed
Byrd/Langley
Bradley/Curran

Garcia/Fleetwood
Scott/Day (so naturally Day will probably pull out midway)
Rahm/Palmer
Finau/Stanley

Sangmoon Bae/Si Woo Kim
Patrick Cantlay/Patrick Reed
Jason Day/Adam Scott
Tony Finau/Kyle Stanley

K Kisner /S Brown
A Ancer /J Vegas
B Harman/P Kizzire
P Cantlay/P Reed

Well, this really sucks. I forgot today is Thursday and never entered my picks. With it being a doubles tournament I don't even get roll-over picks. Sigh!

Well, this really sucks. I forgot today is Thursday and never entered my picks. With it being a doubles tournament I don't even get roll-over picks. Sigh!

You still roll picks ,
Dustin Johnson
Patrick Cantlay
Jim Furyk
Tommy Fleetwood

you lose out on the partner picks---so if Cantlay/Reed won, instead of 800 total for team you would only get 400 for rolling Cantlay, so still a shot to pick up points

You still roll picks ,
Dustin Johnson
Patrick Cantlay
Jim Furyk
Tommy Fleetwood

you lose out on the partner picks---so if Cantlay/Reed won, instead of 800 total for team you would only get 400 for rolling Cantlay, so still a shot to pick up points

Thanks for the clarification. That is better than a straight zero.

Well this was a real crash and burn weekend for me. At least three teams missed the dadgum cut.

WTH were Cantlay and Reed doing out there??? That was ugly to watch. From in contention to missing the cut in a few holes.
Right there with ya...The Patricks already missed the cut and my other three are currently below the line.

So I turn on the tournament just in time to see my one and only remaining team Palmer/Rahm with Palmer fluffing one out of the fairway. That's alright says the announcer, he has his partner Rahm. As Rahm lines up and prepares to take the shot, the commentator comments, the one and only thing Rahm can't do is go long.

The result of the shot? Yeah, you guessed it ......... long way over the green.

Thank you, thank you announcer's curse.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I enjoy the Zurich, love the team play format and how it forces pros to play together. PLus the Americans could use plenty of freaking pratice in team format. Good day of golf , Rahm and Palmer were the best team all week and coasted to a three stroke victory today.

In the PGSF, we have a three way tie for the win.
@Bill From Tampa @fsUTampa and @Nolerball all Garcia/Fleetwood and Rahm/Palmer to take home the win today.

Zurich%20%20Winner%2019_zps0f0w4jt5.png

Will post updated leader board shortly

Reactions: fsUTampa
Umm, yeah John I will just have a beer, keep your skittles buddy

So I turn on the tournament just in time to see my one and only remaining team Palmer/Rahm with Palmer fluffing one out of the fairway. That's alright says the announcer, he has his partner Rahm. As Rahm lines up and prepares to take the shot, the commentator comments, the one and only thing Rahm can't do is go long.

The result of the shot? Yeah, you guessed it ......... long way over the green.

Thank you, thank you announcer's curse.

No more belly aching from you!

Reactions: Bobcat07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT