Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 21 The Charles Schwab Challenge

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • jason-kokrak-trophy-schwab-1694-tompenningtongetty.jpg

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS

Jason Kokrak’s winning highlights from Charles Schwab​

The PGA TOUR makes its final Texas stop of the season, visiting historic Colonial Country Club for the Charles Schwab Challenge.
FedExCup leader – and native Texan – Scottie Scheffler headlines the field that features five of the world’s top 10.
FIELD NOTES: After a missed cut at the PGA Championship, Scheffler, who has won four times this season, is back in action… Bryson DeChambeau is listed in the field. He tried to give it a go at the PGA Championship but withdrew on the eve of the tournament because his hand wasn’t fully recovered from surgery in April… Collin Morikawa will tee it up in Fort Worth. He finished T14 a year ago and lost to Daniel Berger in a playoff in 2020… Jason Kokrak returns to defend his title from 2021. Kokrak, a three-time TOUR winner, won twice last year, and both titles came in Texas with former Longhorns finishing runner-up. He beat Jordan Spieth at Colonial and Scottie Scheffler was runner-up (along with Kevin Tway) to Kokrak at the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open… This year’s Champions Choice selections are Stephan Jaeger and Min Woo Lee… Sponsor exemptions include Erik Compton, John Pak and the past two U.S. Amateur champions, James Piot and Tyler Strafaci. Pak won last year’s Hogan Award, which is awarded at Colonial, as the top player in college and amateur golf. He also finished atop last year’s PGA TOUR University Velocity Global Ranking.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Colonial Country Club, par 70, 7,209 yards. The PGA TOUR heads to the Perry Maxwell and John Bredemus design in Fort Worth, Texas, for the 77th time. It’s the longest-running non-major on TOUR to be contested on the same course. Many of the TOUR’s best who teed it up at the PGA Championship will be treated to a double dose of Maxwell, as the Oklahoma designer was the chief behind Southern Hills Country Club as well. Shot-making and accuracy will be the keys to success once again at Colonial. The course hosted the U.S. Open in 1941, the U.S. Women’s Open in 1991, and the second edition of THE PLAYERS. Like Southern Hills, Colonial is another Maxwell design that is set to undergo a Gil Hanse renovation. It was scheduled for this year but due to supply chain issues, the process will begin after the 2023 Charles Schwab Challenge.
STORYLINES: Jordan Spieth is hoping he’ll continue his fine play around Colonial. Spieth, who moved to eighth in the FedExCup after his win at the RBC Heritage and his runner-up at the AT&T Byron Nelson, has three runners-up in Fort Worth plus a victory in 2016… Only one golfer has ever defended his title in Fort Worth. Ben Hogan did it twice, one reason that Colonial came to be known as Hogan’s Alley… Scottie Scheffler leads the FedExCup by nearly twice as many points as Sam Burns (who is also teeing it up at the Charles Schwab Challenge) but comes to Fort Worth after his first missed cut since last October… K.H. Lee is looking for his own Texas two-step. Lee successfully defended the AT&T Byron Nelson the week prior to the PGA, winning by one over Spieth… Viktor Hovland is the other world top-10 player in the field alongside Scheffler, Morikawa, Spieth, and Justin Thomas… The winner of the Charles Schwab Challenge will once again get a restored sports car (Kevin Na got a 1973 Dodge Challenger in 2019 while Jason Kokrak got a 1946 Schwab Power Wagon). This year’s winner will get a 1979 Pontiac Firebird, which tournament organizers have nicknamed the “Schwab Firebird.”

72-HOLE RECORD: 259, Zach Johnson (2010).
18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Keith Clearwater (2nd round, 1993), Lee Janzen (4th round, 1993), Greg Kraft (3rd round, 1999), Kenny Perry (3rd round, 2003), Justin Leonard (4th round, 2003), Chad Campbell (3rd round, 2004), Kevin Na (4th round, 2018).
LAST TIME: Jason Kokrak’s even-par 70 in the final round of last year’s Charles Schwab Challenge was enough, as Jordan Spieth struggled to a 3-over 73 and finished two shots back of Kokrak. It was Kokrak’s second career TOUR title. Spieth, the clear rooting favorite of the partisan Texas crowds, was still in the mix after making the turn on Sunday, but two late bogeys – including one on the 72nd hole after he hit his approach into the water – derailed his chances. Kokrak made five bogeys Sunday but offset each of them with five birdies. For Spieth, it was his third runner-up finish at Colonial. Charley Hoffman’s 5-under 65 was tied for the low round of the day Sunday, and that helped him move into a tie for third alongside Patton Kizzire, Sebastian Munoz, and Ian Poulter. That foursome finished at 10 under, four shots back of Kokrak’s winning score.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 4 p.m.-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 2 p.m.-5:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 1 p.m.-2 p.m. (Golf Channel), 2 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (CBS).
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.–7 p.m. ET. Saturday, 2 p.m.-7 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio)
For outside of the U.S., click here for GOLFTV powered by the PGA TOUR

PGA TOUR LIVE

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 8:15 a.m.-4 p.m.Main Feed: 8:15 a.m.-4 p.m.Main Feed: 9 a.m.-2 p.m.Main Feed: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 2 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee Group: 9:15 a.m.-4 p.m.Marquee Group: 9:15 a.m.-4 p.m.Marquee Group: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.Marquee Group: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 2 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.Featured Groups: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.Featured Groups: 9:45 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Groups: 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.Featured Holes: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:45 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 2 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
PGA TOUR Live is available exclusively on ESPN+
• Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
• Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
• Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
• Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes

Congratulations again to last week's winner @fsukenny

@seminoleed maintains the overall season lead

Leader-thru-PGA-2022.png

Good luck to everyone this week

@Nolerball I believe everyone has picked your boy so far... Does that make you nervous?? He better have a strong back to carry this burden!
Liz-not nervous, just hoping he can live up to it. I feel if he misses the cut, however, I may be run out of town by an angry mob wielding lob wedges and bunker rakes. :oops:

Surprised nobody went really low today. Guess the pin locations must have been challenging. It's supposed to be windier this weekend in Texas.

Reactions: NoleinATL
You would think super low scores would happen on that course. But they don't. The course is long enough and they can hide the pins. Colonial is a tougher than expected track esp at par 70. You shoot a 66 there and that is a darn good score.

You would think super low scores would happen on that course. But they don't. The course is long enough and they can hide the pins. Colonial is a tougher than expected track esp at par 70. You shoot a 66 there and that is a darn good score.
Yeah, I agree on it being sneaky long for a par 70. It's one of the best courses on tour IMO and is one of the best layouts. It's definitely my favorite spring stop in Texas on tour by a wide margin.

Something is easier on the course today so far... They're going low this morning.

Watching the Dutch Open and Aphibarnrat absolutely blow up on the par five 18th with a 12. An interesting hole with a ditch guarding an angled green, Aphibarnrat could not stop putting the ball in the drink (3 balls swimming with the fishes) even from the drop zone. To top it all off, he three putted.

Needless to say he did not make the cut.

Cabrera Bello was one of his playing partners. He proceeded to hit one out of the back bunker over the green and into the water. He managed to only make a 7. It prompted the TV guy to comment, "There's a green in the middle of that bunker and the water".

The third player "won" the whole with a bogey.

Watching the Dutch Open and Aphibarnrat absolutely blow up on the par five 18th with a 12. An interesting hole with a ditch guarding an angled green, Aphibarnrat could not stop putting the ball in the drink (3 balls swimming with the fishes) even from the drop zone. To top it all off, he three putted.

Needless to say he did not make the cut.

Cabrera Bello was one of his playing partners. He proceeded to hit one out of the back bunker over the green and into the water. He managed to only make a 7. It prompted the TV guy to comment, "There's a green in the middle of that bunker and the water".

The third player "won" the whole with a bogey.
Any track worth it's sod should make one earn their trip to the 19th hole... My home course's 18th for instance featured a dastardly windmill which usually made me ready to drown my sorrows after playing it.

Any track worth it's sod should make one earn their trip to the 19th hole... My home course's 18th for instance featured a dastardly windmill which usually made me ready to drown my sorrows after playing it.
I absolutely LOVE the holes with windmills at any good Putt Putt course...wait...that is what you're talking about, right...? :oops: I mean, we live to get a dipped cone after 18 at the "19th Hole" snack stand...

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT