ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 23 The FedEx St Jude Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
Berger847.jpg

• Daniel Berger picked up his first PGA TOUR win at the FedEx St. Jude Classic in 2016. (Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
• COURSE: TPC Southwind, 7,244 yards, par 70. The former dairy farm southeast of Memphis has been the St. Jude Classic’s home since 1989, as Ron Prichard teamed with former U.S. Open champions Hubert Green and Fuzzy Zoeller on a layout that winds through natural lakes, streams and ponds. Loren Roberts oversaw a 2004 upgrade that removed dozens of trees and replaced Southwind’s bentgrass greens with more heat-tolerant bermuda. Southwind’s par-3 11th hole draws comparisons with the famed 17th at TPC Sawgrass, requiring a short iron over water to a small island green.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, established by the late entertainer Danny Thomas to find cures for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Since joining forces in 1970, the tournament has raised more than $33 million for hospital research.

• FIELD WATCH: Adam Scott, returning to Memphis for the first time in a decade, is joined by Rickie Fowler and Phil Mickelson to headline the final tuneup before the U.S. Open. … Overall, the field features eight of the top 30 in the latest world rankings. … Braden Thornberry, the newly crowned NCAA individual champion for Ole Miss, will tee it up on a sponsor exemption. It’s the first chance Thornberry gets to test himself against TOUR competition. … Former Florida standout Sam Horsfield also is set to make his professional debut, and David Duval will come out of the broadcast booth for his second start of 2017.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 258, John Cook (1996).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 59, Al Geiberger (2nd round, 1977 at Colonial CC). TPC Southwind record: 61, Jay Delsing (4th round, 1993), Bob Estes (1st round, 2001).

• LAST YEAR: Daniel Berger captured his first PGA TOUR title, withstanding Phil Mickelson’s needle during a lengthy rain delay and later his challenge on the back nine for a three-shot win. Berger, playing in his first final pairing, struck only three shots before storms hit TPC Southwind and sent everyone back to the clubhouse. It was there that Mickelson ribbed Berger about taking Rookie of the Year honors without a victory, which might have a lit a spark. Berger still had to stave off Brooks Koepka, who briefly drew even on the front nine, and Mickelson’s foray that drew him within one with seven holes to play. Three birdies in a four-hole span finally gave Berger some breathing room, shooting a 67 for a total of 13-under-par 267. Mickelson (67), Koepka (66) and Steve Stricker (67) shared second.

• STORYLINES: Mickelson, a Sunday factor each of the past four years without victory, tries again as he sharpens his game ahead of the only major he hasn’t won. The Hall of Famer hasn’t missed a cut since last year’s playoffs, but his last top-10 was a quarterfinal berth at the WGC Dell Match Play. … Scott, who switched up his schedule this year with an eye on better showings in majors, seeks his first victory since winning back-to-back weeks on last year’s Florida Swing. The Aussie was sixth at THE PLAYERS last month. … A U.S. Open berth remains available for anyone who moves into the top 60 of the world rankings after the St. Jude’s conclusion. Among those hoping to move up: Tony Finau and James Hahn, third at the AT&T Byron Nelson.

• SHORT CHIPS: No winner of the PGA TOUR stop preceding the U.S. Open has gone on to capture the Open. Overall, just 11 men have claimed a major the week after winning on TOUR, last accomplished by Rory McIlroy (2014 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and PGA Championship). … Berger was the fourth St. Jude winner in the past six to make it his first TOUR victory, joining Harrison Fraser (2011), Harris English (2013) and Fabian Gomez (2015). … David Toms, a two-time St. Jude champion and its all-time earnings leader, will not add to his run of 25 consecutive starts.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 4-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. (featured groups), 4-7 p.m. (featured holes).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

For more on all the courses in the TPC network, visit TPC.com.

PGSF rolls into Memphis , with Bobcat still leading the way. ktnole after another win continues his rise up the leader board
Leader%20through%20memorial%2017_zpsnnqwj8kv.png

good luck to everyone this week

Not making my picks yet...Too busy watching the Noles find another way to choke away the season after blowing a 6-2 lead against Allbarn. Just wondering why Berger's wearing that ghastly-colored shirt in the photo. :confused:

Wow, what a pleasantly bizarre and unexpected ending to the game! Making my picks now after all...

Fowler
Holmes
Mickelson
Scott

Last edited:
Rickie Fowler
Brooks Koepka
Phil Mickelson
Adam Scott

And yes, I decided on this team before I saw any other team.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
P Mickelson
R Fowler
C Campbell
P Uihlein

Even though he's a goiter, I'd like to see Every play well & be in contention this weekend. I'm playing in my annual tournament in Daytona, at the course on which he grew up & learned the game (I played with him in a practice round there when he was still a high school kid).

It'd be fun to sit in 19th hole watching, with him in contention.

Phil ......... what are you doing to me????? Ties for the lead and then proceeds to make a four over 8 at the 12th hole. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Phil ......... what are you doing to me????? Ties for the lead and then proceeds to make a four over 8 at the 12th hole. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Did you see the interview after his round. He said that he saw the scoreboard at 11 , noticed he was tied for the lead and it shook him.

Nice win for Berger, goes out on the weekend and he fires back to back 66's to claim his second straight St Jude win.

In the PGSF, DFS and BFT claim victory in a not so great week for the group.

congratulations DFS and BFT

St%20Jude%20winner%202017_zpsvjtef7ue.png

will post updated leader board shortly

Did you see the interview after his round. He said that he saw the scoreboard at 11 , noticed he was tied for the lead and it shook him.

I did see that. That is why I enjoy Phil's interviews. He is pretty frank with his answers to the questions he is asked. That was surprising though that a player like him with all those wins would be unnerved this time after seeing the scoreboard.

Nice win for Berger, goes out on the weekend and he fires back to back 66's to claim his second straight St Jude win.

In the PGSF, DFS and BFT claim victory in a not so great week for the group.

congratulations DFS and BFT

St%20Jude%20winner%202017_zpsvjtef7ue.png

will post updated leader board shortly

How the heck did that happen???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT