Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 23 The RBC Canadian Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • rory-mcilroy-canadian-open-1694-rbc-michael-reeves-getty.jpg

ROUND RECAPS

Rory McIlroy shoots final-round 61 to win RBC Canadian Open​

The RBC Canadian Open returns to the PGA TOUR schedule after two years of cancellations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
FedExCup leader and world No.1 Scottie Scheffler headlines the field with Rory McIlroy returning to defend his title from 2019.
FIELD NOTES: Scottie Scheffler, a four-time winner already this season, will make his RBC Canadian Open debut… Sam Burns, who topped Scheffler in a playoff to win the Charles Schwab Challenge, will also make his Canadian Open debut… Rory McIlroy returns to defend… Justin Thomas is making his second-straight Canadian Open appearance… Cameron Smith, winner of THE PLAYERS Championship, returns to Canada… Other notables include Tony Finau, Matt Fitzpatrick, Shane Lowry (who finished tied for second in 2019), Justin Rose, Tyrrell Hatton, and Patrick Reed… Corey Conners, the top-ranked Canadian in the FedExCup standings, leads a contingent of 21 Canadians in the field… Taylor Pendrith hopes to make his return after being on the shelf since THE PLAYERS due to a broken rib… Mike Weir makes his 29th appearance at the Canadian Open, the third-most all time… David Hearn will make his 18th start at his country’s national open… Sponsor exemptions include Albin Choi and Stuart MacDonald off the Korn Ferry Tour, plus Jared du Toit, who tied for ninth as an amateur in 2016, when he played in the final group Sunday.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: St. George’s Golf and Country Club, par 70, 7,014 yards. The Stanley Thompson gem, first constructed in 1929, is consistently ranked as one of Canada’s top courses – if not its best. Located just 11 miles from the CN Tower, St. George’s has hosted the Canadian Open five times – most recently in 2010 – along with the CP Women’s Open five times. Playing up, down, and across valleys, golfers will have to contend with uneven lies, thick rough, and slopey greens (which were all re-worked in 2014 after an ice storm caused turf damage in the winter of 2013).
Due to the location and size of St. George’s practice area, Islington Golf Club (just down the road) will be the home of the tournament practice area. Golfers will be shuttled from Islington to St. George’s and will tee off No.’s 1 and 9.
STORYLINES: The RBC Canadian Open was the only North American-based TOUR event to miss both 2020 and 2021 and returns with plenty of excitement for the Canadian crowds. The Chief Commercial Officer of Golf Canada, John Sibley, calls this year’s effort the “largest operational undertaking” in the organization’s history… Haskins Award winner Chris Gotterup will make his debut on TOUR as a professional. Gotterup had a standout collegiate career and finished seventh in the PGA TOUR U rankings. The last golfer to make his TOUR debut as a pro at the RBC Canadian Open, in 2019, was Collin Morikawa, who tied for 14th… “The Rink” returns. The hockey-themed fan experience on the par-3 16th hole features boards along both sides of the hole… Five of the world’s top-10 golfers will be in the field. This will be the fourth consecutive TOUR event with at least three of the top five… A Canadian hasn’t won the RBC Canadian Open since 1954. Brooke Henderson won the CP Women’s Open in Regina, Saskatchewan in 2018.
72-HOLE RECORD: 258, Rory McIlroy (2019)
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Carl Pettersson (3rd round, 2010 at St. George’s G&CC)
LAST TIME: Rory McIlroy captured the 2019 RBC Canadian Open by seven shots after firing a 9-under 61 at Hamilton Golf and Country Club – flirting with a 59 for most of the day before making bogey on No’s 16 and 18. McIlroy, who was 5-under through his first seven holes Sunday, held the 54-hole lead after firing a Saturday 64 and never looked back. It was his 16th win on TOUR. Shane Lowry and Webb Simpson tied for second at 15-under while Brandt Snedeker and Matt Kuchar were two shots further back and tied for fourth. Adam Hadwin finished sixth and was low Canadian. He also earned a spot in The Open Championship with his top-8 result.

The last time St. George’s Golf and Country Club hosted the RBC Canadian Open, in 2010, Carl Pettersson won by one shot over Dean Wilson. Pettersson made the cut on the number but shot a tournament-record 60 in the third round.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS)

Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.–6 p.m. ET. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio)
For outside of the U.S., click here for GOLFTV powered by the PGA TOUR

PGA TOUR LIVE

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 6:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Main Feed: 6:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Main Feed: 7:45 a.m.-1 p.m.Main Feed: 7:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee Group: 7:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Marquee Group: 7:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Marquee Group: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.Marquee Group: 8:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Groups: 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Groups: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Groups: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 7:15 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Holes: 7:15 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Holes: 8:15 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Holes: 8:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
PGA TOUR Live is available exclusively on ESPN+
• Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
• Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
• Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
• Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes

Congrats again to last weeks winner @FSU & Golf who is on a strong 3 week run

@seminoleed maintains overall season lead even during a move

Leader-thru-Memorial-2022.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Looks like Phil has finally broken his silence and entered the first LIV Golf event this weekend. Wow.

You had to assume the number was high, I thought it might be a little higher but if he is getting 200 million, I now understand why he didn't mind losing those sponsors

still surprised he played this so poorly...if he would have just kept his mouth shut and said, these guys are paying me 200 million, the story would have blown over much quicker

You had to assume the number was high, I thought it might be a little higher but if he is getting 200 million, I now understand why he didn't mind losing those sponsors

still surprised he played this so poorly...if he would have just kept his mouth shut and said, these guys are paying me 200 million, the story would have blown over much quicker

Phil didn’t say anything wrong. He dropped some truth bombs and some vips didn’t like it and he got canceled. If Tiger said it he would have been praised and the whole narrative would be different. The tour will be fine. These LIV guys are getting players that are on the down side of the bell curve. Who really cares.

Hey, don't shoot the odd-ball here but I saw on a footer on ESPN while watching the WCWS, that DJ has withdrawn (now) from the PGA Tour. First Sha-na-Na, now DJ!?! Has anyone else heard or seen this somewhere?? Yeah, I was having breakfast and saw this while ESPN was on. I had to read it twice just to be sure I saw what I saw. What in the world could be going on if true...?

**I figured I'd ask guys smarter than me...**

Hey, don't shoot the odd-ball here but I saw on a footer on ESPN while watching the WCWS, that DJ has withdrawn (now) from the PGA Tour. First Sha-na-Na, now DJ!?! Has anyone else heard or seen this somewhere?? Yeah, I was having breakfast and saw this while ESPN was on. I had to read it twice just to be sure I saw what I saw. What in the world could be going on if true...?

He knew it was time to take the easy money because he's no longer usually in contention on the PGA Tour. The report said that DJ is still eligible for majors.

BTW I didn't answer because I'm smarter than you. I was going to post the info anyway and saw you had beat me to it. 🙂

Yes, DJ resigned membership today so he doesn't have to worry about any type of penalty or answer to the tour, which with the money he received makes sense, he isn't going to make 150 mill plus on the PGA Tour.
The one thing he does lose, but at his age, he probably doesn't care too much is Ryder/Presidents Cup team or coaching opportunities. DJ never struck me as one of the guys that would have sought about being a captain, so again for him might not be a "loss".

The majors are the difference makers in some guy's decisions and how this works out for DJ, it could entice others to participate in LIV.
None of the majors being controlled by the PGA Tour only leaves them with "influence" to try and punish guys now, and I don't think any of the majors will be to concerned about changing eligibility rules because the tour asks.

No cut 54 hole tournaments with 20 mill plus prize pool and you could an appearance fee on top of it and play the majors could definitely influence some guys to join LIV. It will be interesting to watch what happens on TV , and the coverage of the events.

Reactions: cmanole
Yes, DJ resigned membership today so he doesn't have to worry about any type of penalty or answer to the tour, which with the money he received makes sense, he isn't going to make 150 mill plus on the PGA Tour.
The one thing he does lose, but at his age, he probably doesn't care too much is Ryder/Presidents Cup team or coaching opportunities. DJ never struck me as one of the guys that would have sought about being a captain, so again for him might not be a "loss".

The majors are the difference makers in some guy's decisions and how this works out for DJ, it could entice others to participate in LIV.
None of the majors being controlled by the PGA Tour only leaves them with "influence" to try and punish guys now, and I don't think any of the majors will be to concerned about changing eligibility rules because the tour asks.

No cut 54 hole tournaments with 20 mill plus prize pool and you could an appearance fee on top of it and play the majors could definitely influence some guys to join LIV. It will be interesting to watch what happens on TV , and the coverage of the events.
If enough guys are siphoned off, will we need to alter our contest??

If enough guys are siphoned off, will we need to alter our contest??
I know you’re kidding but there are a million guys waiting in line to play the pga tour. Guys like Cam Smith, Scottie Scheffler, Corey Conners. There are so many good players that will now get a chance to play on the tour and I think it will be better than ever.

I know you’re kidding but there are a million guys waiting in line to play the pga tour. Guys like Cam Smith, Scottie Scheffler, Corey Conners. There are so many good players that will now get a chance to play on the tour and I think it will be better than ever.
The guys that are leaving are past their primes anyway (as you've said)...at least for now.

Tee times are out... Burns, Scheffler, and Smith are grouped together. Hope they feed off each other playing well instead of dragging each other down.

The guys that are leaving are past their primes anyway (as you've said)...at least for now.
Yeah, for now. With this kind of money they are going to get a lot more good players, younger guys too. Up and comers. But there is enough to go around. Hell, you could have a dozen tours and there would be top quality golf on every one of them. There would also be more access for the fans and beers wouldn't cost $20! This is actually a very good thing. Could use another couple pro football leagues too.

Last edited:
Yeah, for now. With this kind of money they are going to get a lot more good players, younger guys too. Up and comers. But there is enough to go around. Hell, you could have a dozen tours and there would be top quality golf on every one of them. There would also be more access for the fans and beers wouldn't cost $20! This is actually a very good thing. Could use another couple pro football leagues too.
Okay, so now I read that Bryson and Reed (can't call him 'Captain America' due to the love in our house for Cap'n Steve Rogers) are leaving for the LIV and that Rickie may follow. WTHeck is really going on? I must be a Pollyanna when it comes to motives like Money and such, but what is all this...? Sorry to rant, but dad gum, each of them has a following of sorts, they seem to still be a draw, maybe, and wonder if anyone will ask 'Katie to bar the door' on this - or maybe the PGA Tour can't...? :oops: Strange times indeed...

Okay, so now I read that Bryson and Reed (can't call him 'Captain America' due to the love in our house for Cap'n Steve Rogers) are leaving for the LIV and that Rickie may follow. WTHeck is really going on? I must be a Pollyanna when it comes to motives like Money and such, but what is all this...? Sorry to rant, but dad gum, each of them has a following of sorts, they seem to still be a draw, maybe, and wonder if anyone will ask 'Katie to bar the door' on this - or maybe the PGA Tour can't...? :oops: Strange times indeed...
The other common denominator with those three is that they're rarely competing for tour wins any longer. The LIV offers them guaranteed cash money. Perhaps this will push the PGA toward giving appearance fees to its name players as tennis does.

Reactions: cmanole
ADVERTISEMENT