PGSF FedEx Cup Week 33 The Wyndham Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • wyndham-847-getty.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Henrik Stenson's icy finish to win at Wyndham
Henrik Stenson defends his title against a field hungry for FedExCup points, as Greensboro again wraps up the regular season as the final chance for players to crack the top 125 and punch their playoff entries.

Though North Carolina natives Webb Simpson and Chesson Hadley are the only entrants among the current FedExCup top 30, all but nine from Nos. 90-190 will tee it up. That includes 2017 Masters champion Sergio Garcia (131st) and former FedExCup champion Bill Haas (147th).

FIELD NOTES
Chilean teen Joaquin Niemann, whose 464 non-member FedExCup points would qualify him for the playoffs but can’t get in unless he wins, will give it a run at Sedgefield Country Club. … Simpson is the only entrant among the top 15 in FedExCup points; Stenson is highest in the world ranking at No.17.... Joining Garcia on the list of former major winners urgently needing points are Graeme McDowell (142nd) and Retief Goosen (146th), plus U.S. Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk (172nd). … Davis Love III, whose 2015 victory at age 51 made him the third-oldest winner in PGA TOUR history, tees it up for the 23rd time in Greensboro. It’s just his 12th start of the season. … Doc Redman and Doug Ghim, who dueled to a 37-hole U.S. Amateur final last August before Redman prevailed, cross paths again 52 weeks later as pros. It’s the third time in 2018 they’ve been in the same field. … Sponsor invitations also went to Haskins Award winner Norman Xiong and fellow young pros Will Zalatoris and Dylan Meyer.

Field Link
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/wyndham-championship/field.html

FEDEXCUP
Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES
The chase is on for FedExCup playoff berths, with a dozen players lurking within 50 points of the cutoff line. … Martin Piller (124th), Tyrone Van Aswegen (125th) and Chad Campbell (126th) are the men currently on the bubble. … In the 11 years since the FedExCup playoffs debuted, an average of 2.7 players have punched their playoff ticket in Greensboro. Four did so last year, one off the high-water mark. On the flip side, no one did it in 2013. … Only four men have come to Greensboro at 140th or lower in the FedExCup standings and left with a playoff berth. One took place last year, though, as Rory Sabbatini rose from 148th to 122nd. … Stenson was the seventh winner in the past 10 editions to close out a 54-hole lead.

COURSE
Sedgefield Country Club (Ross), 7,127 yards, par 70. One of two original sites in the Greater Greensboro Open’s 1938 debut and now in its 11th year of a comeback, Sedgefield stands as the only Donald Ross design to serve as a regular PGA TOUR stop. The layout dates back to 1925, the course features small, undulating greens and is perennially ranked among the top 15 in North Carolina. Sedgefield spent several years as an alternating site for the GGO, before a 1961-76 run as host that included Sam Snead’s 1965 triumph – the last of his record 82 TOUR wins. Sedgefield also holds a place in college sports annals as the site of the 1953 meeting that founded the Atlantic Coast Conference.

If you're in the area, must-play courses include Mid Pines Inn and GC (Southen Pines, North Carolina), Pine Needles Lodge & GC (Southern Pine, North Carolina) and Forest Oaks CC (Greensboro, North Carolina). Make your reservations through www.teeoff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD
258, Henrik Stenson (2017).

18-HOLE RECORD
60, Si Woo Kim (2nd round, 2016).

LAST YEAR
Stenson emerged from a four-man pack for his first victory since the 2016 Open Championship, using three birdies in his final four holes to finish one stroke ahead of Ollie Schneiderjans. Tied for the lead with Schneiderjans in the group ahead, Stenson nearly eagled the par-5 15th to move in front and added two more birdies as Schneiderjans kept the pressure on. Though birdies at Nos. 17 and 18 drew Schneiderjans even with the tournament’s old scoring record of 21-under 259, Stenson went one better after finishing off his own 64 with a par. Stenson’s sixth PGA TOUR victory was the most by a player from Sweden, breaking a tie with Carl Pettersson and Jesper Parnevik. Simpson (67) finished another three shots back in third.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com)

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @Tom81
We are just weeks away from the playoffs and @NoleLizards just crossed the 11000 point mark with @DFSNOLE passing the 10k mark.

Leader%20thru%20PGA%2018_zpsujloaytk.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
Berger
K Stanley
Cabrera Bello
Webb Simpson

Just a general point of order:

This is the second week in a row I see picks that are not in the field (actually two this week). Makes it a lot easier to get points when your guy is playing.

This is the second week in a row I see picks that are not in the field (actually two this week). Makes it a lot easier to get points when your guy is playing.

On the flip side, it makes it easier to not score any points. If that is your goal anyway. Remember, in golf it is the low score that wins.

Not sure why I thought zj was playing? On a side note, my dark horse is in dfl so I most likely get the same amount of points either way...

I know it's easy to say now but I was going back and forth between Sneds and Niemann. Went with Niemann because he had been playing better of the two. Until today that is.
<insert Homer Simpson gif>

Reactions: NoleinATL
I know it's easy to say now but I was going back and forth between Sneds and Niemann. Went with Niemann because he had been playing better of the two. Until today that is.

4cc.jpg

Reactions: DFSNOLE

I knew the moment I picked him for the first time he would turn in someone resembling my game.

So what kind of odds could one have gotten on two ex-UNLV golfers being tied for second after the first round?

pretty dang impressive bogeying first hole of the day and then still getting to 59

It looks like all 4 of my golfers will be playing the weekend. It also looks like I'll struggle to hit triple digits in points with where they are currently.

I'm no psychic, but after beginning his final round with a double, I think any chance of Henrik defending his title has dissipated.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Do you guys hit your 3 wood (metal) that much better than your driver?

I have a 5 wood, that I can hit dead straight 190 yards no matter conditions ,, but my driver and 3 wood on a bad day go the same damn place

I have a 5 wood, that I can hit dead straight 190 yards no matter conditions, but my driver and 3 wood on a bad day go the same damn place
I cut down the shafts of my fairway woods to the length of the long irons. I have a 7 wood that has the same length shaft as a 5 iron. I can hit it 180 fairly consistently and keep it in the short grass.

I have a 5 wood, that I can hit dead straight 190 yards no matter conditions ,, but my driver and 3 wood on a bad day go the same damn place

I used to hit a 3 wood better than a driver. Then I got a driver I could actually hit well.

Good day of golf ....

Congratulations to this weeks winner @seminoleed with the winning pick of Snedeker

Wyndham%2018_zpshcvvmq9y.png

will post updated leader board hsortly

ADVERTISEMENT