ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 35 The Dell Technologies Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • TPC-Boston-DTC-FL-847.jpg
    Check out everything you need to know ahead of the 2018 Dell Technologies Championship next week at TPC Boston.
The FedExCup Playoffs return to TPC Boston for one final Labor Day fling next week as Justin Thomas defends the title that helped put him on the path to the big crown just a few weeks later.

Rory McIlroy, the 2016 FedExCup champion, will jump into the playoff fray after sitting out the opener to fine-tune his game. Rickie Fowler, Henrik Stenson and Brandt Snedeker also figure to begin their playoff quests after injury breaks.

FIELD NOTES
Barring any lingering injury woes, the lineup is expected to boast 99 of the 100 players eligible. Open Championship titleholder Francesco Molinari is the only name missing.

Fowler, who began the Playoffs at No.17, hopes an extra week’s rest for his strained oblique bodes well for a playoff run. Snedeker (back spasms) and Stenson (elbow) were late withdrawals from THE NORTHERN TRUST.

Patrick Rodgers, who also missed the opener to attend a wedding, is set to tee it up again if he doesn’t fall outside the top 100. He entered the Playoffs at No. 93.

FEDEXCUP
Winner receives 2,000 points.

STORYLINES
McIlroy, 21st in FedExCup points when the regular season ended, begins his playoff push a little farther back but is likely still on track to make the TOUR Championship. Despite two top-10s in his past three starts, McIlroy told reporters after the PGA Championship there were items he wanted to hone ahead of the Ryder Cup.

Three of the past five winners at TPC Boston have gone on to win the FedExCup, with Thomas’ feat preceded by McIlroy (2016) and Stenson (2013).

Tiger Woods continues his playoff comeback at a locale where he’s placed lower than 11th just twice in nine previous starts. He won the 2006 edition and was runner-up twice.

The FedExCup focus now shifts to the top 70 in points to qualify for the BMW Championship. Just three advanced from outside the cut line last year: Stewart Cink, Emiliano Grillo and Rafa Cabrera Bello.

It’s the final event for European players to earn Ryder Cup points, with eight automatic berths up for grabs. Four are taken from a compilation of world ranking points.

U.S. Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk will announce his first three wild-card picks the day after Labor Day.

Though this marks the event’s final edition, Boston isn’t completely out of the playoff picture. TPC Boston will join the rota for THE NORTHERN TRUST, starting with the 2020 edition.

COURSE
TPC Boston, 7,342 yards, par 71.

Located about midway between Boston and Rhode Island, the Arnold Palmer design was named one of Golf Digest’s 10 best new private clubs upon its 2002 debut. Five years later, the debut of the FedExCup playoffs opened the way to a thorough remodel. Gil Hanse and consultant Brad Faxon set out to give the course more of an old New England feel, introducing “chocolate drop” mounds and fieldstone walls to the landscape. Bunkers also were remade with higher faces and ragged edges. TPC Boston has been the PGA TOUR’s Labor Day stop since 2003, embracing the holiday for the season’s only scheduled Monday finish.

For those visiting the area, must-play courses include: The Cape Club Resort (Falmouth, Mass.), Pinehills GC (Plymouth, Mass.) and Hyannis GC (Hyannis, Mass.). Explore your options at TeeOff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD
262, Vijay Singh (2008), Charley Hoffman (2010), Henrik Stenson (2013).

18-HOLE RECORD
61, Vijay Singh (3rd round, 2006), Mike Weir (1st round, 2008).

LAST YEAR
Thomas racked up his fifth victory of the season, pushing past Jordan Spieth and Marc Leishman with a pair of birdies in his final seven holes to complete a three-stroke triumph. Thomas carded just two bogeys all week, the last of which left him in a three-way tie with seven holes to play.

The Kentucky native bounced back, though, with a 6-foot birdie at No. 13 and one from even closer range two holes later on the way to a 5-under-par 66. Spieth sent a buzz through the galleries with a birdie/eagle/birdie/birdie start, but lost steam on the back nine and bogeyed twice in his final nine holes.

It was his second runner-up finish in as many playoff starts, after he was chased down by Dustin Johnson at THE NORTHERN TRUST. Leishman held a two-shot lead after a front-nine 30, but quickly bogeyed the first three holes after the turn.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Friday, 2:30-6:30 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 3-6:30 p.m. (GC). Sunday, 1-3 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (NBC). Monday, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (GC), 1:30-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Friday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6:30 p.m. (featured holes). Sunday-Monday, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Friday-Saturday, 1-6:30 p.m.; Sunday-Monday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

We roll into the second week of the playoffs with a rookie on a hot streak
Congratulations again to last weeks winner @Tom81

The season long leader board doesn't have many changes as we head to Boston
@NoleLizards still leads. We have 3 new 10k point club members. @Bill From Tampa , @fsu67810 and yours truly crossed the barrier while @DFSNOLE made up some ground while passing 11k. Looking like an exciting finish

Leader%20thru%20NT%2018_zpshwm62huw.png

good luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
I sense a common dislike for Bryson Dechambeau here as not a single one of us has picked the guy in first place in the FedEx.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I would not call it disliking him. I just did not trust his game to do well in the playoffs. Obviously that was an incorrect assumption last week.

I would not call it disliking him. I just did not trust his game to do well in the playoffs. Obviously that was an incorrect assumption last week.
Not saying that everyone here dislikes him, at all...But I have seen some disparaging comments about him on here and believe that may in part be contributing to people's reluctance to pick him.

Not saying that everyone here dislikes him, at all...But I have seen some disparaging comments about him on here and believe that may in part be contributing to people's reluctance to pick him.

Not that it is important but Mrs BFT likes him. He's a different kind of player but it seems to be working for him. The whole meltdown at the Open and the handshake incident didn't bother me. He lost his composure at Carnoustie and I am not excusing it but that final round in that Euro tour event would have tested a lot of player's cool.

but every time I pick him he plays like a turd...
I could take 90% of the players who participate in these tournaments and substitute one of their names for Decambeau, and the same would be true for me.

Reactions: cmanole
(From the Masters thread) Been waiting for the right time to pick this first guy for a while now. Time to unleash the hounds!
Hatton
Noren
Rahm
Watson

Looks like I was a few months early with my gambit.

I know we've beaten this horse to death, but we're almost 2 1/2 hours into today's TV coverage, and I've yet to see one shot by Brooks (who is in contention). I've seen every single shot by Tiger, however.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I get the whole Tiger coverage thing.
Like it or not, he moves the needle on TV ratings and attendance like no other.
On the flip side, I would have thought 2 majors would have earned Brooks a few
more looks from TV coverage.

Brooks is great and I love watching him, but he is so laid back and just doesn't
have a public persona full of charisma!
Just keep winning Brooks.

I get the whole Tiger coverage thing.
Like it or not, he moves the needle on TV ratings and attendance like no other.
On the flip side, I would have thought 2 majors would have earned Brooks a few
more looks from TV coverage.

Brooks is great and I love watching him, but he is so laid back and just doesn't
have a public persona full of charisma!
Just keep winning Brooks.
Well, Keopka is paired with Woods today so we'll at least be able to see him standing in the background.

It has reached the point where some of these announcers are literally panting when they say Tiger's name. Arnie and Jack never got that kind of reverence. Are they getting wood off camera?

ADVERTISEMENT