PGSF FedEx Cup Week 4 The Farmers Insurance Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • rose-847-stanbadz.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Justin Rose wins at Farmers
Tiger Woods makes his first start of the calendar year – and takes his first crack at breaking the PGA TOUR’s all-time victories record -- at a place where he’s had plenty of success.

Woods is a seven-time winner of the Farmers Insurance Open. He also won the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. His eight victories at this course perched on the cliffs above the Pacific Ocean match his PGA TOUR record for most wins at one site. He has also won eight times at Bay Hill Club & Lodge, which hosts the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard, and Firestone Golf Club, the former site of the World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational.

Woods also is making his first official start since winning a record-tying 82nd title at the ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP and being a victorious player-captain at The Presidents Cup.

He’ll need to top a world-class field if he wants to break the record he shares with Sam Snead.

FIELD NOTES: Defending champion Justin Rose will make his first start of the calendar year. He last teed it up on the PGA TOUR at the WGC-HSBC Champions in November, finishing T28. Rose is coming off a second-place finish Sunday at the Singapore Open, where he finished three strokes behind Matt Kuchar. … Reigning FedExCup champion Rory McIlroy tees it up on TOUR first the first time since winning the WGC-HSBC Champions. He finished T3-1 in the two tournaments he played in the fall and took a six-week break over the holidays, returning to Northern Ireland. He is sixth in the FedExCup standings as he seeks to become the first three-time winner of the season-long competition.… Two-time Farmers Insurance Open winner Jason Day will make his return to the TOUR after having to withdraw from the Presidents Cup due to injury after receiving a captain’s pick… Rose, Day, and Woods are three of the eight past champions in the field including Brandt Snedeker, Scott Stallings, Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, and world No. 3 Jon Rahm.

Field
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/farmers-insurance-open/field.html

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.

COURSE: Torrey Pines GC (South), 7,698 yards, par 72. A longtime PGA TOUR venue, the South Course at Torrey Pines received an upgrade from Rees Jones in 2001 to help secure the 2008 U.S. Open. The South Course recently underwent another renovation to prepare for next year’s U.S. Open. The North Course (7,258/72) also will be used for the first two rounds.

STORYLINES: Tiger Woods will be seeking a record-setting 83rd PGA TOUR victory at a course where he’s been winning since his junior days. … Some California connections at Torrey Pines next week include Xander Schauffele, who is from La Jolla and was in attendance when Woods sank his famous birdie putt on the 72nd hole of the 2008 U.S. Open. … Rickie Fowler, from Murrieta, has two top-10s at the Farmers Insurance Open but also has four missed cuts in 10 starts. … And of course, Phil Mickelson – who has won this tournament three times and was born in San Diego – will be playing his second event in a row after playing and hosting last week’s The American Express… Justin Rose looks to become the event’s fourth back-to-back champion. He’d join Woods, Mickelson, and J.C. Snead if he could manage to lift the trophy again… Rose was the first winner since Ben Crane in 2010 to start the week on the North Course. Winners from 2011-2018 all started on the South Course.

72-HOLE RECORD: 266, George Burns (1987), Tiger Woods (1999).

18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Mark Brooks (2nd round, 1990) and Brandt Snedeker (1st round, 2007) at Torrey Pines North, predating the Weiskopf redesign. South course record: 62, Tiger Woods (3rd round, 1999). Redesigned North record: 62, Jon Rahm (1st round, 2019).

LAST TIME: Despite a record-setting first round by past champion Jon Rahm, he couldn’t keep the momentum going through Sunday and Justin Rose took the title, finishing at 21 under for the week. He got off to a tough start Sunday, bogeying three of his first five holes, but he was 5 under for his final 12. But Rose eventually topped Adam Scott by two shots for his 10th PGA TOUR win. Hideki Matsuyama and Talor Gooch finished T3, while Rory McIlroy finished T5 alongside two past Farmers Insurance Open champions – Rahm and Jason Day.

HOW TO FOLLOW
Television: Thursday-Friday, 3-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1-2:45 p.m. ET (Golf Channel), 3-6 p.m. ET (CBS). Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. ET (Golf Channel), 3-6:30 p.m. ET (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: (Featured Groups, Featured Holes) Thursday-Friday 12 p.m. – 7 p.m. ET. Saturday, 10:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. ET. Sunday, 11:15 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET.

Radio: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.-7 p.m. ET. Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. ET. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

We head to week 4 and a very nice field at The Farmers Insurance Open

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @seminoleed

@DFSNOLE has taken over the overall season lead.

koQGCiz.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
The Ouijarod is ecstatic right now. It told me, "That will teach those people to slight me like they did. This is only the beginning."

I don't quite know how to deal with an obstinate, arrogant Ouijarod, but I guess I'll try.

Sometimes it requires a firm hand. I usually interlock my Left index finder and the Right pinkie to get a better grip...:Face with Tears of Joy

After giving it a lecture on not letting its emotions get the better of its thinking/intuitions, the Ouijarod has
recommened:

Hideki Matsuyama
Rory McIlroy
Collin Morikawa
Jon Rahm

Reactions: NoleinATL
Using Luke Skywalkers suggestions as a force ghost we have come up with the following:
Rory McIlroy
Jon Rahm
Justin Rose *
Tony Finau *

* subject to change before Thursday. Might need to consult the Sith.( Exit Woods and Woodland)

Last edited:
After giving it a lecture on not letting its emotions get the better of its thinking/intuitions, the Ouijarod has
recommened:

Hideki Matsuyama
Rory McIlroy
Collin Morikawa
Jon Rahm

Man, Ed, O-rod wasted little time on these picks...fast and first in. :D

I need at least 24 to 48 hours just to even read the field listing...I might be getting too old for this (flag)stick...

Interesting factoid read on twitter today

"Tiger Woods is playing the first two rounds at Torrey Pines with Collin Morikawa.

It will be the first time Tiger has been paired in a PGA TOUR event with a player born after Tiger turned pro."

One time, while working at a Summer Camp, we took a bunch of squirts to a mini-golf/putt putt course for a 'Camper v. Counselor' challenge. Those little imps beat my backside. Hopefully, Tiger will have better luck vs. Morikawa.

Wow...I certainly didn't see the X-man missing the cut in his hometown!

I think it is Xander putting to much pressure on himself to try to win at his home course.
When I was looking at my picks, everything I read said he wanted this win as much as any tournament.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Weird sports day as news of Kobe unfolded. Leishman had a heck of a round to claim victory.

In the PGSF , BFT and DFS used the same picks to get the victory.

congratulations to this weeks winners @Bill From Tampa and @DFSNOLE

Last edited:
Found the error, I must have been upset about being one of the very few who didnt pick Rory and gave him 122.5 versus 162.5

scores have been updated

Reactions: cmanole
Found the error, I must have been upset about being one of the very few who didnt pick Rory and gave him 122.5 versus 162.5

scores have been updated

Do those of us who picked Rory get extra points sort of like extra interest for the time between when the points (interest) should have been credited to the time they finally did get credited?

By my calculations, that should be somewhere around 500 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT