PGSF FedEx Cup Week 5 The Waste Management Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
Fowler-WMPO-847-getty.jpg

Round Recaps
Rickie Fowler wins at Waste Management

Current FedExCup points leader Justin Thomas returns to the desert for the Waste Management Phoenix Open, where he’ll face a field full of the PGA TOUR’s big guns – including defending champion Rickie Fowler, 2019 U.S. Open champion Gary Woodland, and two-time winner Hideki Matsuyama.

RELATED: FULL FIELD

FIELD NOTES: Matsuyama won the Waste Management Phoenix Open in 2016 and 2017, becoming the first back-to-back winner since Johnny Miller in 1974 and 75. … Bryson DeChambeau will play his first PGA TOUR event of the 2020 calendar year. DeChambeau’s last TOUR win came at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open in the fall of 2018. … Bubba Watson, fresh off a solid showing at the Farmers Insurance Open, will make his second consecutive start in the calendar year. Watson finished fifth in Phoenix a year ago. … ASU alum Jon Rahm will be teeing it up again after finishing T10 a year ago. Rahm was the 54-hole leader at the Farmers Insurance Open before finishing 2nd. … After recently relocating with his family to Arizona, Tony Finau will be in the field in Phoenix. … Speaking of family, Canadian Adam Hadwin, who now calls Scottsdale home, will return to action after becoming a father for the first time on Jan. 9… Full-time PING engineer Marty Jertson earned a spot in the field after winning the Southwest PGA Championship/PPC in nearby Mesa.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points

COURSE: TPC Scottsdale (Stadium), 7,261 yards, par 71. The tournament is one of the best attended on the PGA TOUR every year. Most fans can be found in the massive structure around the par-3 16th. Tiger Woods made an ace on No. 16 in his first Waste Management Phoenix Open and there has been just nine recorded in tournament history on that hole. Designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish and opened in 1986.

STORYLINES: Thomas will be looking for his third win of the 2019-20 season, having already claimed the CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES last fall and the Sentry Tournament of Champions to start JanuaryPhil Mickelson is not teeing it up this week, so his quest to becoming the winningest Waste Management Phoenix Open champion in history will have to wait another year. He’s tied at three with Arnold Palmer, Mark Calcavecchia and Gene Littler. … Fowler looks to successfully defend a PGA TOUR title for the first time in his career. … Three of the top five golfers in the FedExCup standings are in the field. … Last year’s Waste Management Phoenix Open delivered the feel-good story of the year, as Amy Bockerstette, who has Down syndrome, played the par-3 16th with Woodland during practice and made a par after getting up-and-down from the bunker. Good vibes all around for Woodland, who won the event in 2018 and finished T7 in 2019.

72-HOLE RECORD: 256, Mark Calcavecchia (2001), Phil Mickelson (2013).

18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Grant Waite (4th round, 1996), Mark Calcavecchia (2nd round, 2001), Phil Mickelson (2nd round, 2005, and 1st round, 2013).

LAST TIME: Rickie Fowler won for the fifth time on the PGA TOUR despite a bizarre triple bogey on the par-4 11th in the final round. After getting aggressive with a chip – which ended up in the water – Fowler had to drop. After the drop, and with his back turned, the ball rolled into the water. After consulting with rules officials, Fowler took another penalty shot because the ball was in play. He escaped with a triple and ended up topping Branden Grace by two and Justin Thomas – who was rooming with Fowler that week – by three. The win broke a two-year win drought for Fowler.

1580085434007.jpg

GOLFBREAKS BY PGA TOUR: SCOTTSDALE GOLF TRIPS

Follow in the footsteps of the world’s best golfers on your next vacation with a trip to TPC Scottsdale, home of the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Golfbreaks by PGA TOUR take all the hassle out of booking your golf trip, and with their Best Price Guarantee, you’ll know you’re always getting an incredible deal. For more information, click here.

HOW TO FOLLOW
Television: Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-2:45 p.m. ET (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 9:15 a.m.- 7 p.m. ET. Saturday-Sunday 10:45 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Groups and Featured Holes)

Radio: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.-7 p.m. ET. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

Congratualtions to last weeks winners @DFSNOLE and @Bill From Tampa

@DFSNOLE maintains his overall season lead after the win this week

82fy3JE.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited:
NiA - Didn't Fowler win in 2019? I was looking for the field for this year's picks and got confused (which can easily happen)...did Gary win in 2018? I am feeling like that annoying kid in the 3rd grade, that pipes up when he thinks he knows something...

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleinATL
It looks like i pasted wrong info.

Sorry--pasted in 2019s info- Updated with correct information now

Also there seems to be a scoring issue, will check when I get home, looks like finishing position will hold, just total. thanks for finding @cmanole

Last edited:
Surprising. Even with recent struggles hard to believe Spieth is outside top 50

Reactions: Nolerball
So, the Ouijarod asked me, "Master, how am I doing so far?"
I replied, "So far, so good."
It said, "I really liked that O-Rod moniker that Nolerballer guy hung on me. Makes me feel
like one of the guys."
I said, "Are you sure you're a guy? Do you have any way of telling?

This was on Sunday afternoon. Today was the first time it's talked to me since. l was told to take
the following, and book it that JT will stun everybody this week. We shall see:

The O-Rod sez:

Collin Morikawa
Jon Rahm
Webb SImpson
Justin Thomas

Reactions: Nolerball
NiA said: "Surprising. Even with recent struggles hard to believe Spieth is outside top 50"

No Spieth for me this week...sentimentality is over-ruled by practicality (and a strong does of reality)...o_O

Rickie Fowler
Jon Rahm
Webb Simpson
Justin Thomas

Edit: I notice I have matched at least one other person. I swear I did not look at anyone else picks before selecting mine.

Last edited:
Rickie Fowler
Jon Rahm
Webb Simpson
Justin Thomas

Edit: I notice I have matched at least one other person. I swear I did not look at anyone else picks before selecting mine.

So that's where they are getting their tips (off your selections). Very prescient... :D

Every time I hear Fowlers name, Steely Dan pops into my head - too much '70s rock on the brain.

What’s going on with Speith ? He’s just lost. I’m not big on changing instructors but I think he needs some drastic changes. The tour is more exciting when he’s good:

One analysis I heard on GC was he can't hit it in the fairway. It is a 50/50 chance that he drives it onto the short grass. And since he is not long off the tee anyway, now he is really having to work to make par. If he is not on the fairway, his strength (short game, wedges) is neutralized.

Now I would wonder why he is missing fairways so much. Just lost his driving ability (he was not that accurate in the first place in fairways hit) or did he switch drivers (equipment changes often do not work out)?

This is one of my favorite follows on twitter

here are the rd 2 hole locations

ADVERTISEMENT