ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 6 The WM Phoenix Open (sign-up is open to everyone )

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • wm-scheffler-1694-tw.jpg

ROUND RECAPS

Scottie Scheffler wins in a playoff at WM Phoenix Open​

A huge week is in store at the WM Phoenix Open, as a loaded field will play the TOUR’s most highly-attended event. And there’s a football game in town, as well.
Scottie Scheffler looks to defend his title from last season – a win that started his Player of the Year campaign. The WM Phoenix Open was the first win of Scheffler’s career and jump-started a stretch that saw him win four times in six starts, including the World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play to reach world No. 1 and his first major title at the Masters.
FIELD NOTES: Rory McIlroy is making his first PGA TOUR start since winning THE CJ CUP in October. McIlroy has, however, played five times on the DP World Tour since that win and has notched results of T2-4-T4-4-1 – winning the Hero Dubai Desert Classic on Jan. 28… Eight of the world’s top-10 golfers are all in the field including McIlroy, the second-ranked Scottie Scheffler and No. 3 Jon Rahm, an Arizona State alum… Rahm has won four of his last six starts combined on the PGA TOUR and DP World Tour, including twice already on TOUR this season. He currently leads the FedExCup standings… Scheffler is looking to become the first golfer since Hideki Matsuyama (2016-17) to repeat in Phoenix… Shane Lowry and Collin Morikawa are making their returns to TPC Scottsdale after not playing the last two years… The five sponsor exemptions include Rookie of the Year front-runner Taylor Montgomery, who has eight top-15s in 10 starts this season; PGA TOUR rookie Davis Thompson, who finished runner-up at The American Express; 19-year TOUR veteran Ricky Barnes; four-time TOUR winner Charley Hoffman and two-time WM Phoenix Open winner J.B. Holmes… World No. 5 Patrick Cantlay returns after a playoff loss to Scheffler last season. 2022 marked Cantlay’s Phoenix Open debut.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: TPC Scottsdale, par 71, 7,261 yards. Opened in 1986, the Jay Morrish/Tom Weiskopf design has been the host club of the WM Phoenix Open every year since 1987. This will mark the first event, however, since Weiskopf’s passing last August. Of note, the Scottsdale winter was cold and rainy which has led to a slow overseed establishment, according to the GCSAA.
STORYLINES: This is the first full-field designated event of 2023… The purse is up to $20 million… One hundred and thirty-six golfers will tee it up (up from the usual 132). The final three spots will be determined by the Monday Qualifier… The area is hosting the Super Bowl hours after the final round of the of the WM Phoenix Open, the fourth time the two events have happened in town on the same weekend… Hideki Matsuyama looks to become the fourth golfer in TOUR history to win the WM Phoenix Open three times… The WM Phoenix Open was among four events that rounded out the TOUR’s slate of designated events with elevated purses this year. The RBC Heritage, Wells Fargo Championship, and Travelers Championship joined the majors and THE PLAYERS, Sentry Tournament of Champions, three player-hosted invitationals (Tiger Woods’ Genesis Invitational, the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard and Jack Nicklaus’ Memorial Tournament presented by Workday), the World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play and the three FedExCup Playoffs events… Sam Ryder made a hole-in-one on the par-3 16th in the third round last season – the first since 2015 – and prompted one of the craziest fan celebrations of the year. It was Ryder’s first career ace on TOUR.
72-HOLE RECORD: 256, Mark Calcavecchia (2001), Phil Mickelson (2013).
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Grant Waite (Round 4, 1996), Mark Calcavecchia (Round 2, 2001), Phil Mickelson (Round 2, 2005; Round 1, 2013).
LAST TIME: Scottie Scheffler defeated Patrick Cantlay in a playoff for his first PGA TOUR title – and what a run he’s been on since then. Scheffler, who started the weekend nine shots back of the lead but fired a third-round 62 to zip into contention, made a birdie on the third playoff hole to top Cantlay, whose 11-foot birdie try fell short. It was Scheffler’s 71st PGA TOUR start. Scheffler was even par through the first nine holes of the final round but birdied four of his final six holes to shoot a final-round 67. Cantlay shot a Sunday 67 as well but in the end it was Scheffler – who would go on to win three more times en route to winning Player of the Year honors – who came out on top. Xander Schauffele, Brooks Koepka, and Sahith Theegala finished tied for third and one shot out of the playoff. Theegala, who had the 54-hole lead but lost a share of the lead on the penultimate hole after driving it into the water, was looking to become the first sponsor exemption to win on TOUR since Martin Laird at the 2020 Shriners Children’s Open.

HOW TO FOLLOW:

Television: Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel), Saturday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS)
PGA TOUR Live:
ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 9:15 a.m.-3 p.m. ETMain Feed: 9:15 a.m.-3 p.m. ETMain Feed: 12 p.m.-1 p.m. ETMain Feed: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ET
Featured Group: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-3 p.m.Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-3 p.m.Marquee: 12:15 p.m.-1 p.m.Marquee: 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Group: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Group: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Groups: 12:30 p.m.-1 p.m.Featured Groups: 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 9:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:45 a.m.-3 p.m.Featured Holes: 12:30 p.m.-1 p.m.Featured Holes: 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.Featured Hole: 1 p.m.-6 p.m.
PGA TOUR Live is available exclusively on ESPN+
  • Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
  • Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
  • Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
  • Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.–8 p.m. ET. Saturday, 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio)

We head to Phoenix for WM Phoenix Open, one of the elevated events so there is 550 to the winner

Congratulations again to last week's winner Mrs BFT

With the win, Mrs. BFT moves to second place behind our leader @Bill From Tampa.

Leader-thru-ATT-2023.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Well, this is damned embarrassing. I knew that I'd get off to a slow start due to the lack of stats from last year, and I know that Pebble was a less than stellar field, but seriously?

So, I called the manufacturer to complain. The guy was really nice and after a little troubleshooting said he couldn't see anything not working from his end and told me to give him the serial number off the back right of the machine. I told him there wasn't one, so he suggested the lower left. I found it there, which is when he told me I had the unit UPSIDE DOWN! I'm no electronics guru, and I doubt that could be causing a problem, but I hope I"m not being taken for a ride.

Anyhoo:

Wyndham Clark
Mackenzie Hughes
Tom Kim
Patrick Rodgers

Apparently Rory has yet to adjust back to yards from meters. He's flown the green on both holes I've seen him play since the TV coverage came on.

It is a damn bloodbath for my picks so far, damn
Join the club. Xander was my 4-a...Chose not to pick him because he WDd the last time I did.

So is it worse for one's psyche to have your hopes destroyed on Thursday or have a couple of guys in contention going into Sunday only for their wheels to fall off then?? Asking for a friend....

Join the club. Xander was my 4-a...Chose not to pick him because he WDd the last time I did.

So is it worse for one's psyche to have your hopes destroyed on Thursday or have a couple of guys in contention going into Sunday only for their wheels to fall off then?? Asking for a friend....

Both are equally crushing IMO. Maybe knowing that you are already out after day one is a tad worse.

Take heart , Liz. It's not like everyone's burning up the course today. You may not be in as bad a position as you though in the morning.

Take heart , Liz. It's not like everyone's burning up the course today. You may not be in as bad a position as you though in the morning.
And I only saw brief highlights from today. Not only frost, but it looked rather windy for the guys teeing off this AM...not Pebble-esque but maybe Lake Michigan-like (or Superior)...I dunno.

Reactions: NoleinATL
And I only saw brief highlights from today. Not only frost, but it looked rather windy for the guys teeing off this AM...not Pebble-esque but maybe Lake Michigan-like (or Superior)...I dunno.
Maybe they should build domed courses for the tour. Wouldn't want all these rich guys playing a game to be inconvenienced by the elements.

ADVERTISEMENT