ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 7 The Genesis Open (sign-up is still open)

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • GettyImages-642969328_masterp.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
    By the Numbers: Dustin Johnson's power off the tee at the Genesis Open
Tiger Woods revisits the hometown venue that has proven the PGA TOUR’s toughest for him to crack – 10 visits without victory – for the second start in 2018. The strongest field yet in 2018 awaits, though, including five international standouts making their first U.S. starts of the year.

Dustin Johnson is back to defend the title that launched him into last year’s sizzling spring, winning three consecutive starts leading into the Masters. Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy give the lineup four of the top eight men in the Official World Golf Ranking.

GENESIS OPEN: See the star-studded field

FIELD NOTES: Thomas Pieters, who shared runner-up honors last year as a sponsor exemption, and 2017 Race to Dubai champion Tommy Fleetwood headline a dribble of European-based pros making their way across for the West Coast finale. ... The list also includes China’s Haotong Li, fresh off a win in Dubai, along with Martin Kaymer. … All told, the Riviera roster features 14 of the top 25 in the OWGR. … Former Masters champ Charl Schwartzel also makes his first start on U.S. soil since last year’s FedExCup Playoffs.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: Woods ends an 11-year absence from Riviera, going back to a 2006 visit cut short by the flu bug. His best finish there was second in 1999, two shots behind Ernie Els. He also lost a 1998 playoff to Billy Mayfair, though that edition was held at Valencia CC. … Johnson hasn’t finished lower than fourth in his past four visits to Riviera. Prior to last year’s win, he lost a 2015 playoff and was runner-up again in 2014. … Bubba Watson, winner in 2014 and ’16, will seek a third straight Riviera win in even-numbered years. … Cameron Champ, the amateur who stood two shots off the lead after 36 holes of last summer’s U.S. Open, will play on the tournament’s Charlie Sifford Exemption to promote diversity. Champ turned pro after tying for 32nd at Erin Hills. … The top 50 in the OWGR after the Genesis Open can make plans for next month’s World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship.

COURSE: Riviera Country Club, 7,322 yards, par 71. A star setting from its 1927 opening when Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin graced its fairways, Riviera hosted its first Los Angeles Open in 1929 and was site of the U.S. Open’s first West Coast venture (1948). Designer George Thomas studied 15 possible layouts before settling on one that now features some of the TOUR’s most iconic holes. The par-3 sixth is famed for its bunker in the middle of the green, and No. 10 is widely considered the best drivable par-4 in golf. Old-timers will remember Riviera as “Hogan’s Alley,” as Ben Hogan notched three wins in an 18-month span – the 1948 U.S. Open and two L.A. Opens that preceded it. Last summer, Doc Redman won the first U.S. Amateur held at Riviera.

72-HOLE RECORD: 264, Lanny Wadkins (1985).

18-HOLE RECORD: 61, George Archer (3rd round, 1983 at Rancho Park GC), Ted Tryba (3rd round, 1999 at Riviera CC).

LAST YEAR: Johnson turned a marathon Sunday into a coronation, cruising to a five-stroke triumph that lifted him to No. 1 in the world rankings. Though three days of rain and fog forced Johnson and others to play 36 holes on the final day, he made the most of it with a third-round 64 that opened a five-shot margin on his nearest pursuers. The lead grew to nine at one point in the final round before he eased off the pedal. The win was Johnson’s fourth in a nine-month span beginning with the U.S. Open, vaulting him past Jason Day atop the rankings. He also joined Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods as the only men to notch a win in each of their first 10 PGA TOUR seasons. Pieters, who closed with a 63, and Scott Brown (67) shared second.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday, 2-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Friday, 3-7 p.m. Saturday, 2-3:30 p.m. (GC), 4-7 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6:30 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. (featured holes). Sunday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (featured holes). A free preview of Featured Group coverage will be streaming live on Twitter on Thursday and Friday during the first hour of coverage. Click here to watch PGA TOUR LIVE on Twitter.

PGA TOUR RADIO: Thursday, noon-6 p.m. Friday, 1-7 p.m. Saturday, 2-7 p.m. Sunday, 1-6:30 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

A Shake up near the top, but @NoleLizards is still our overall leader heading to Riviera

Leader%20Thru%20Pebble%2018_zpsyo91piur.png

good luck to everyone this week

The All-Knowing, All-Seeing Ouija Board did a better job last week. He says this should be
a winner:

Paul Casey
Phil Mickelson
Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth

D Johnson
P Mickelson
M Leishman
P Perez

Last edited:
I almost picked Tiger, but felt the field was too good to. Of course I said that at the Farmers and then Rickie Fowler proceeded to miss the cut.

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! My picks that are hovering somewhere over Costa Rica were Bubba, DJ, J Blixt and Rory. Now I have to root against them.

Just a thought, why don't you submit a request to the league office to see if your picks could be included this week. I have heard those guys are very understanding and with your status in the league I can not imagine they would turn down a request to at least look at options.

they have a new email address for requests
manihopesdfssubmitsarequest@icannotstanddefuniak.com

good luck for the rest of the year

Last edited:
Just a thought, why don't you submit a request to the league office to see if your picks could be included this week. I have heard those guys are very understanding and with your status in the league I can not imagine they would turn down a request to at least look at options.

they have a new email address for requests
manihopesdfssubmitsarequest@icannotstanddefuniak.com

good luck for the rest of the year
Thanks! Sent! :Face with Tears of Joy

watching some of the coverage from yesterday,( I might have said this late last year) , with his weight loss Bubba reminds me of when David Duval lost his weight. It looks like an unhealthy weight for his frame as he appears frail. I am sure he is not unhealthy , as he has the resources to afford a nutritionist, doctors and trainers to ensure he is doing things right , it just appears that way on camera.

I apologize for the late results , Mrs NoleinATL treated me to some wings and beer as we watched the Noles get , what I hope, was a tourney clinching win.

I did not see last round yet, but good for Bubba, 10th win has a nice round feel to it, better than 9.

In the PGSF, @ktnole runs away with victory this week as the only player to select Watson.

congratulations ktnole

Gen%20Champ%2018_zpsl24kku5c.png

will post updated overall leader board shortly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT