PGSF FedEx Cup Week 8 WGC Mexico Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • DJ-Trophy-847-getty.jpg

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS
    Dustin Johnson Round 4 highlights from WGC-Mexico
Dustin Johnson returns to defend his World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship title – his third such victory at this event – while Rory McIlroy, the reigning champion of THE PLAYERS, looks to improve on his runner-up result from a year ago.

Johnson has won two of the three WGC-Mexico events hosted at the Club de Golf Chapultepec.

RELATED: Inside The Field

FIELD NOTES: Past winners of this tournament back in the field include Adam Scott and Patrick Reed … Carlos Ortiz joins Presidents Cup team member Abraham Ancer as the Mexicans in the field … Jordan Spieth earned a spot in the field after jumping from 55th to 49th in the OWGR after a T9 at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am … Recent WGC winners in the field include Kevin Kisner (2019 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play), Xander Schauffele (2018 WGC-HSBC Champions), and Justin Thomas and Hideki Matsuyama who won the 2018 and 2017 WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, respectively … Players have a final chance to qualify at the conclusion of The Genesis Invitational via FedExCup points or OWGR … Ryo Ishikawa, thanks to three wins on the Japan Golf Tour last season, will be in the field. He’ll also play The Honda Classic.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 FedExCup points.

COURSE: Club de Golf Chapultepec, 7,345 yards, par 71. This is the fourth year the Alex Smith design has hosted the PGA TOUR. Smith’s brother, Willie, drew up the original plans but died prior to the completion of the course. Alex Smith, a two-time U.S. Open winner, pushed the course across the finish line. Percy Clifford directed a redesign in 1972.

STORYLINES: Rory McIlroy is looking to become the second player to complete the ‘WGC Slam’ by winning all four World Golf Championships events. Dustin Johnson accomplished the feat in 2017 … McIlroy won the first WGC of the 2019-20 season, the WGC-HSBC Champions, topping Xander Schauffele in a playoff. McIlroy looks to join Tiger Woods and Johnson as the only golfers to win back-to-back WGC events … Schauffele has had a solid start to his career in World Golf Championships events, with six top-20 finishes in 10 WGC starts ... Americans have won seven of the last nine WGC-Mexico Championship events.

72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Tiger Woods (2006 at The Grove). Chapultepec record: 263, Dustin Johnson (2019).

18-HOLE RECORD: 62, Sergio Garcia and Retief Goosen (both 4th round, 2002 at Mount Juliet), Bubba Watson (2nd round, 2012 at Trump Doral), J.B. Holmes (1st round, 2015 at Trump Doral), Justin Thomas (3rd round, 2018 at Chapultepec, 4th round, 2019 at Chapultepec).

LAST TIME: Despite an early bogey, Dustin Johnson cruised to a five-shot victory after a Sunday 66 in Mexico. Johnson won for the 20th time on TOUR and became a lifetime member, at age 34. Rory McIlroy made a spirited charge on the back nine Sunday, making six birdies in seven holes, but Johnson was just too much on that day, making five of his own birdies in a seven-hole stretch. Johnson finished 10 shots ahead of the trio at T3: Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, and Kiradech Aphibarnrat.

1581865588296.jpg

GOLFBREAKS BY PGA TOUR

Follow in the footsteps of the world’s best golfers on your next vacation. Golfbreaks by PGA TOUR takes all the hassle out of booking your golf trip, and with their Best Price Guarantee, you’ll know you’re always getting an incredible deal. For more information, click here.

HOW TO FOLLOW
Television: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 12 p.m.-2:30 p.m. (Golf Channel). Saturday, 2:30 p.m.-6 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. (Golf Channel). Sunday, 2:30 p.m.-7 p.m. (NBC)

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 12 p.m.-7 p.m. (Featured Groups and Featured Holes)

Radio: Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 2 p.m.-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

Cogratulations again to last weeks winner @Nolerball

@Nolerball used the win to mve into first place in the overall season lead

Good luck to everyone this week

The Ouijarod and I had to have a little heart to heart tonight, and I told it I don't know what it's bromance with JT was all about, but I don't want it to pick him anymore. It pouted, and somehow, actually shed some tears down its bark, and softie that I am, I relented, though grudgingly. Therefore, it advised me to take:

Ricky Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Rory McIlory
Justin Thomas

Reactions: Nolerball
The Ouijarod and I had to have a little heart to heart tonight, and I told it I don't know what it's bromance with JT was all about, but I don't want it to pick him anymore. It pouted, and somehow, actually shed some tears down its bark, and softie that I am, I relented, though grudgingly. Therefore, it advised me to take:

Ricky Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Rory McIlory
Justin Thomas
You guys might want to double check on who's in the field....

Ricky Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Rory McIlory
Justin Thomas
You guys might want to double check on who's in the field....
The Rod is never Rong! :Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

Agreed...

Ed, better let O-rod know that Rickie won't be around...:eek:. Remind him that you need to make a ch-ch-ch-change(s) for him or it'll be a long four days otherwise...

Be damned. I trusted that damn thing to know this kind of crap. Now, I can't find it anywhere. Last I saw of it it was walking into the woods behind the Ed Estate flirting with some tree limbs. As Ricky Ricardo (not a golfer for the unititiated) would have said, "You've got some 'splainin' to do!

Meanwhile, guess I'll have to pick my own replacement, soooooo............drop Fowler and add Hideki Matsuyama please.

Damn rod...embarrassing me in front of my peers like this. If it had a head, it would roll.

C Bezuidenhout
R McIlroy
J Rahm
D Johnson

Last edited:
Be damned. I trusted that damn thing to know this kind of crap. Now, I can't find it anywhere. Last I saw of it it was walking into the woods behind the Ed Estate flirting with some tree limbs. As Ricky Ricardo (not a golfer for the unititiated) would have said, "You've got some 'splainin' to do!

Meanwhile, guess I'll have to pick my own replacement, soooooo............drop Fowler and add Hideki Matsuyama please.

Damn rod...embarrassing me in front of my peers like this. If it had a head, it would roll.
happy0009.gif
happy0009.gif
happy0009.gif
happy0009.gif
Let it roll, baby, roll, let it roll...all night long. You're killing me.
happy0009.gif

Reactions: NoleLizards
Reactions: Nolerball
ADVERTISEMENT