ADVERTISEMENT

Piggy's Tallahassee

Aug 24, 2002
Anybody know if Piggys is under new management/ownership?

Has been one of our favorite spots in Tally, but things have changed. Had bad experience tonight. Menu has changed, with my child's favorite items off the kids menu. It was 7pm on a Friday night and they were out of wings, brisket, ribs, and sausage (and it wasn't crowded).

Just curious if anyone knows of a change.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thanks ncnole. I thought I remembered seeing the original owner on here.

It's a shame to see a good local restaurant go downhill.

Not sure what's going on there but the last time I was there it wasn't good at all. Doubt we'll go back...

Originally posted by F4Gary:
Unless Cobnole wasn't the original owner, it has changed hands.
Yes....unless all of those pictures he posted as he built the place out were all some elaborate hoax.

But unless I'm wrong another poster has at least an interest in the place now.

Cob didn't "own" all of it. The original financial backers are still in place. That is what jam is referring to.

Whomever is running it now is driving it straight into the ground...very poor quality and often out of product(if they've ever even made it)...when 4 Rivers opens next month I would expect that to be the final nail in the coffin for Piggys and I would be shocked if Piggy's is still open on June 1st

Originally posted by smhnole:
Cob didn't "own" all of it. The original financial backers are still in place. That is what jam is referring to.

Yes, the original owners are booster clients of mine. They still own it, Cob was pretty much the face of the business while he was there. I know everybody involved well. Cob went from bbq master to inventor. He's got 2 products I'm very interested in, we talked about it last night.

Agree, went there a month ago, won't be back. Portion sizes were way down, dry meat, and out of everything. We have unfortunately taken our business to Sonnys until something better comes along.

The best BBQ place in Tally, and it's not close, is the one in the parking lot of the Shell Station, on the corner of Capital Circle and Apalachee Parkway. *The smoked chicken is particularly good.

Piggy's is bad for all of the reasons mentioned here and Sonny's can't be taken seriously as a suggestion. Up in Smoke is disgusting. Are there any others?

That said, I maintain that I don't get the big deal over BBQ. The best of the best of the best of it is still just not all that impressive. It's the least interesting and least desirable of any specialty cuisine out there, IMO.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
The best BBQ place in Tally, and it's not close, is the one in the parking lot of the Shell Station, on the corner of Capital Circle and Apalachee Parkway. *The smoked chicken is particularly good.

Piggy's is bad for all of the reasons mentioned here and Sonny's can't be taken seriously as a suggestion. Up in Smoke is disgusting. Are there any others?

That said, I maintain that I don't get the big deal over BBQ. The best of the best of the best of it is still just not all that impressive. It's the least interesting and least desirable of any specialty cuisine out there, IMO.
Mo Betta is fantastic.

Reactions: noleone99
Originally posted by jamnolfin:

Yes, the original owners are booster clients of mine. They still own it, Cob was pretty much the face of the business while he was there. I know everybody involved well. Cob went from bbq master to inventor. He's got 2 products I'm very interested in, we talked about it last night.

Shark Tank worthy?

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

You must've been dropped on your head when you were a baby. Repeatedly, like maybe your dad dribbled you up & down a basketball court for a couple of hours.
chairshot.r191677.gif

The pulled pork sandwich was always like a soup sandwich, waaayyyyy to much moisture. Brisket and sausage is a completely different story

Dster, you taking about Piggy's? I always thought the pulled pork was way too dry. Used to love the brisket, sausage, nachos, and burger. Like everyone else though, I think that place went downhill.

Been over two years since we ate there, maybe the pulled pork changed

Originally posted by DanC78:
Originally posted by jamnolfin:

Shark Tank worthy?
Definitely if it works as good as he says, its a device you hook to your pool that will kill all bacteria and uses no power or chemicals. He just put a picture of it on his Facebook page.

There was a place down west Pensacola a while ago past TCC campus on the left. That place used to have the best bbq in Tallahassee.

Originally posted by SeaPA:

So does Piggys brisket no longer cure cancer?
Once Cob stopped running the joint, yes, it failed in it's medicinal effectiveness.

The only good BBQ I've had is the guy who sells it out of his trailer in the Shell gas station parking lot at the intersection of Appalacchee and Capitol Circle. How is up in smoke BBQ? Haven't had it

Originally posted by Bragglefraggle:
The only good BBQ I've had is the guy who sells it out of his trailer in the Shell gas station parking lot at the intersection of Appalacchee and Capitol Circle. How is up in smoke BBQ? Haven't had it
Up in Smoke didn't pass my Sonny's test.

I basically use Sonny's as my textbook C- grade BBQ and grade everything else using that curve, if it's not better than Sonny's I refuse to go. Up in Smoke failed the Sonny's test in every category from sauce to ribs to pork to chicken etc...

The sad thing living in Tallahassee is that for a southern town it has %*%* for BBQ and really always has (Mickey's during the first year it existed was an exception as was the chain Smokey Bones). Cob's sausage and brisket usually passed the Sonny's test as well but I haven't been in about a year or so and I did hear through the grapevine Piggies was getting worse even before he sold it maybe due to burnout (and it had been over a year as the last time I went in the brisket was both cold and dry). But that's all I can think of, all of the other places including Mo Betta (as I drive past it relatively frequently) haven't passed that simple test.

There are some quality places "nearby" meaning 30-60 minutes away as Goodman's in Perry is one of my favorite bbq places in Florida, the Hamaknockers in Wakulla has really excellent smoked wings (the rest is probably not passing the Sonny's test) and Fallin's, Vic's and Granddaddy's in Thomasville all pass the Sonny's test (but are not what I would call truly exceptional bbq just better than Tally and Sonny's). So I really can't explain the dearth of quality bbq in Tally. Of course by that token I can't explain why Tallahassee seafood places are so bad either (Shell Oyster Bar being the exception but it's a pain to get to, rundown "decor" and furniture and is really only open for lunch. Being a decent sized southern town not that far from the coast we should have lights out Seafood and bbq. I get that we don't have the history and tradition of Savannah and Charleston, but surely we could beat or be on par with Destin or Pensacola.

Sidenote, coming back from camping in the Gulf Islands National Seashore we stopped off at Defuniak Springs and tried 4C BBQ a small mom and pop allegedly run by a former Texas deputy/sheriff who wanted to bring Texas brisket and God to the heathens of the panhandle. Although I might have accidentally joined a cult by going through the door, his brisket and cheap Texas ribeyes were excellent. The brisket was amazing by itself (which is a good thing as the sweet bourbon style bbq sauce was not good imo as it was very sweet and lacked depth, but the A1 brought for the steak which didn't need it worked really well instead. It's definitely worth stopping off if you're on I-10. Plus $9.99 for a plateful of brisket probably twice the amount Piggy's usually provided and $15 for a quality ribeye made it quite cost effective.

Last edited:
Tally has mission BBQ, which in Tampa anyways, not only passes the Sonnys test but is on par with piggys from the old days

We also have a Dreamland and a Willie Jewells which both moved in relatively recently. Mission, Willie Jewells, Four Rivers and Dreamland are all better than Sonny's but none of them are amazingly good.

Four Rivers is completely hit or miss when it comes to beef, occasionally it's on par with Texas places but frequently it's barely above Sonny's. Their pork is terrible. And I don't like any of their sauces:

Dreamland has some decent ribs but I'm not a fan of anything else. They finish their ribs on the grill which I usually prefer, but their sauces are nothing special.

Willie Jewells was decent but again very mediocre to below sauce. And their pulled pork and brisket didn't have a good smoke flavor despite being otherwise well cooked. The sides were very meh as well.

Mission is probably the best overall in town at the moment. Unlike the other three, I love their sauces. And they have a ton, usually six on the table (plus Eastern Carolina vinegar "sauce") and three or four others out and available (they have an Alabama White sauce and a citrusy "Florida" sauce you can ask for). Their beef has always been decent (not as good as Four Rivers best examples but better than their worst) and their other meats are solid. It's not mindblowingly good (other than the number of good sauces) but it is above average in the meats and better than Sonny's.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT