ADVERTISEMENT

Pimento Cheese

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
I think there are a few Southerners in here, so maybe someone here likes this stuff. I loved pimento cheese when I was a kid visiting my Grandmother in Mississippi. Somewhere along the way, I decided that it was an unhealthy nutritional nightmare and haven’t touched the stuff in over 20 years and not even thought about it.

I was staying at an Embassy Suites in Atlanta last week. I had a few happy hour drinks and was at the snack area when I saw pimento cheese and crackers. I tried some and it was amazing.

Anybody else like this stuff?

Reactions: goldmom
I had a pimento cheese sandwich in Augusta last spring...it was good.

But to your point, we ate them pretty regularly growing up, haven't seen them since....at least 20 or so years. (outside of last spring of course)

Palmetto Cheese by Pawley’s Island brand is available at the grocery store. Purty dang good and best I have tried for store bought. They have both a bacon and a japaleno version if that is of interest.
My old man’s baby sister makes a slap yo mama dose that you can’t stop eating. I will see family this weekend and try to get the recipe to post later.
Put it on BLTs, mater sammiches, on squishy bread solo, dip it with ritz crackers, load up a burger with a thick layer, drag a big spoon through the bowl and gorge, top off shrimp and grits with a nice thick layer, do a peanut butter fold over with it... unleash your inhibitions and just mix it with whatever.
I would hate to know that my life was spent without access to ‘minto cheese.

I think there are a few Southerners in here, so maybe someone here likes this stuff. I loved pimento cheese when I was a kid visiting my Grandmother in Mississippi. Somewhere along the way, I decided that it was an unhealthy nutritional nightmare and haven’t touched the stuff in over 20 years and not even thought about it.

I was staying at an Embassy Suites in Atlanta last week. I had a few happy hour drinks and was at the snack area when I saw pimento cheese and crackers. I tried some and it was amazing.

Anybody else like this stuff?

For whatever reason they always associate pimento cheese with the South but it started in New York City when they combined new imported pimentos (pickled peppers from Spain) with Philadelphia Cream Cheese (a NY product despite the name). It spread everywhere in Mericuh afterwards but took off in the south when Georgia pepper farmers started advertising their cheaper pickled peppers and using government cheese (usually a low cost cheddar) or hoop/red ring cheese which tastes similar to a mild cheddar. So the cheap (for its time, Philadelphia Cream cheese is now a low end product not a luxury and is probably cheaper than hoop cheese now) version is what took off in the south. Now you very rarely see the original version (cream cheese and Spanish pimentos) and instead see mainly various offshoots of the cheap southern version (cheap hard cheese, mayo to bind it and roasted or pickled local peppers).

For myself, I make something that kind of blends the two traditions. I roast my Pepper (Goddess I let turn red if I grow it myself, red bell pepper if I don't have any fresh) and then peel the charred skin off of it. Then I get a very very sharp cheddar (Cabot Seriously Sharp if I'm being cheap or a strong sharp Aussie cheddar if I'm not) and grate it using the fine side of the grater. And I make an equivalent portion of grated mild soft cheddar using the large side of the grater. I set aside about half the portion of cream cheese so that it's a 2 sharp cheddar to 2 mild cheddar to 1 cream cheese porrions. I take the cream cheese and add a couple of tablespoons of Duke mayo, add some garlic and mustard powder to it along with a sprinkle of celery seeds and ground mixed pepper and mix those until I get a smooth paste with seasonings evenly combined. Then I add in the two cheddar cheese and the minced roasted pepper and stir them loosely to combine.

I haven't had a better pimento cheese than the one I make and frequently I don't even for other pimento cheeses if they are too heavily reliant on mayo.

For whatever reason they always associate pimento cheese with the South but it started in New York City when they combined new imported pimentos (pickled peppers from Spain) with Philadelphia Cream Cheese (a NY product despite the name). It spread everywhere in Mericuh afterwards but took off in the south when Georgia pepper farmers started advertising their cheaper pickled peppers and using government cheese (usually a low cost cheddar) or hoop/red ring cheese which tastes similar to a mild cheddar. So the cheap (for its time, Philadelphia Cream cheese is now a low end product not a luxury and is probably cheaper than hoop cheese now) version is what took off in the south. Now you very rarely see the original version (cream cheese and Spanish pimentos) and instead see mainly various offshoots of the cheap southern version (cheap hard cheese, mayo to bind it and roasted or pickled local peppers).

For myself, I make something that kind of blends the two traditions. I roast my Pepper (Goddess I let turn red if I grow it myself, red bell pepper if I don't have any fresh) and then peel the charred skin off of it. Then I get a very very sharp cheddar (Cabot Seriously Sharp if I'm being cheap or a strong sharp Aussie cheddar if I'm not) and grate it using the fine side of the grater. And I make an equivalent portion of grated mild soft cheddar using the large side of the grater. I set aside about half the portion of cream cheese so that it's a 2 sharp cheddar to 2 mild cheddar to 1 cream cheese porrions. I take the cream cheese and add a couple of tablespoons of Duke mayo, add some garlic and mustard powder to it along with a sprinkle of celery seeds and ground mixed pepper and mix those until I get a smooth paste with seasonings evenly combined. Then I add in the two cheddar cheese and the minced roasted pepper and stir them loosely to combine.

I haven't had a better pimento cheese than the one I make and frequently I don't even for other pimento cheeses if they are too heavily reliant on mayo.

From which website did you plagiarize this?

Palmetto Cheese by Pawley’s Island brand is available at the grocery store. Purty dang good and best I have tried for store bought. They have both a bacon and a japaleno version if that is of interest.
My old man’s baby sister makes a slap yo mama dose that you can’t stop eating. I will see family this weekend and try to get the recipe to post later.
Put it on BLTs, mater sammiches, on squishy bread solo, dip it with ritz crackers, load up a burger with a thick layer, drag a big spoon through the bowl and gorge, top off shrimp and grits with a nice thick layer, do a peanut butter fold over with it... unleash your inhibitions and just mix it with whatever.
We buy the Palmetto version and keep it as a staple. Excellent!! And I always think that I hope the lady whose picture is shown on the label is making a ton of $$

Reactions: billanole
We buy the Palmetto version and keep it as a staple. Excellent!! And I always think that I hope the lady whose picture is shown on the label is making a ton of $$

I will have to give that a try, but I doubt the lady in the pic is making a ton of $$. From some quick googling, she is a cook for the owners at their bed and breakfast in Pawley's Island, SC.

Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
When I was out and about on my motorcycle one trip I had a pimento BLT. It was solid. Some little country town in south Georgia.

Costco sells some, one with and without jalapenos. The one with jalapenos is amazing.

From which website did you plagiarize this?
Interestingly enough, the third result when searching pimento cheese comes back with an article detailing the history that just happens to be a much longer (believe it or not) version of this post. The comments in the attached recipe also indicate the use of grilled peppers and super sharp cheddar. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

Interestingly enough, the third result when searching pimento cheese comes back with an article detailing the history that just happens to be a much longer (believe it or not) version of this post. The comments in the attached recipe also indicate the use of grilled peppers and super sharp cheddar. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

Forsooth!!

This x100

Next to a homemade recipe it doesn’t get any better.

So you found some internet articles proving what I said without the need for citations. Congratulations Captain Sherlock, you really showed me up. You’re a genius.

Reactions: Random_John
I make it once a year on Master's weekend. Usually lasts me a week and then I'm tired of it until 50 weeks later when I start to crave it again.

Pawleys island brand is delicious!

I make one with Duke’s, smoked Gouda, sharp cheddar and cream cheese with Crystal hot sauce and jarred pimentos (I found the make yourself roasted peppers are not as good as jarred— the same with using canned pumpkin vs. homemade for pumpkin pie) - I put a couple drops of liquid smoke and seasoning.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Are they still selling the Palmetto Cheese brand? I haven't seen it at our Costco in a while.

Used to not be a fan of pimento cheese. Now I love it.
I believe so, but not 100%. This thread has me thinking a Costco run is needed this weekend.

Are they still selling the Palmetto Cheese brand? I haven't seen it at our Costco in a while.

Used to not be a fan of pimento cheese. Now I love it.
I believe so, but not 100%. This thread has me thinking a Costco run is needed this weekend.

Same. I was there not long ago but didn't notice if they still had it or not. Publix carries Palmetto Cheese also

I have always been a "bad" southerner because I hated pimento cheese and potato salad.

Tidbits in Jax makes a potato salad that even I love, so maybe it's tie to give the cheese another try.

btw, the first time I heard/saw the Spanish word pimiento I thought maybe that's where it came from but I guess not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT