ADVERTISEMENT

Post a culinary specialty from your city or region . . .

torbee

Contributor
Sep 13, 2002
I will start it off with a post about Quad City Style pizza. For those of you who don't know (which is probably many Floridians) the Quad Cities are a metro area of around 400,000 people straddling the Mississippi River between Iowa and Illinois with Davenport, Iowa being the largest city.

Downtown-Davenport2.jpg

The Quad Cities culinary claim to fame (other than being the birthplace of sliced bread and taco pizza) is the aforementioned Quad City Style pie (one of your board regulars, @FSUTribe76 actually made one from scratch!)

Unique characteristics of this pie are: cut into rectangles with giant kitchen shears rather than sliced into triangles, a chewy crust with a hint of molasses, toppings like meat, veggies etc. always go UNDER the cheese, a spicy tomato sauce but used in very small quantities, utilizes very finely ground sausage that is spiced with fennel, fresh white mozzarella typically procured locally). Here is a more definitive article on the style if curious from Food & Wine magazine.

Here is a pic from my favorite QC Style pizza place, called Uncle Bill's"

IMG_20170311_210632944_HDR-4c7.jpg

Here is a pie from what most claim is the original QC Style parlor, Frank's Napoli:

P1140744.JPG

If you are ever in our neck of the woods (or in Chicago, where several QC Style places have opened) make sure to grab yourself a pie and enjoy a unique regional pizza varietal!

I am anxious to see/read about your city or region's specialties.

Bon Appetit!

I will start it off with a post about Quad City Style pizza. For those of you who don't know (which is probably many Floridians) the Quad Cities are a metro area of around 400,000 people straddling the Mississippi River between Iowa and Illinois with Davenport, Iowa being the largest city.

Downtown-Davenport2.jpg

The Quad Cities culinary claim to fame (other than being the birthplace of sliced bread and taco pizza) is the aforementioned Quad City Style pie (one of your board regulars, @FSUTribe76 actually made one from scratch!)

Unique characteristics of this pie are: cut into rectangles with giant kitchen shears rather than sliced into triangles, a chewy crust with a hint of molasses, toppings like meat, veggies etc. always go UNDER the cheese, a spicy tomato sauce but used in very small quantities, utilizes very finely ground sausage that is spiced with fennel, fresh white mozzarella typically procured locally). Here is a more definitive article on the style if curious from Food & Wine magazine.

Here is a pie from what most claim is the original QC Style parlor, Frank's Napoli:

P1140744.JPG

If you are ever in our neck of the woods (or in Chicago, where several QC Style places have opened) make sure to grab yourself a pie and enjoy a unique regional pizza varietal!

Bon Appetit!
I was there a few years ago and had one of these. Very tasty. Really enjoyed the plethora of brew pubs along the river.

Every coastal city in FLA will talk about their seafood and Jax is no exception.
Mayport fresh shrimp is fantastic and we love them. It’s really the only fried food I love 🍤.
My inlaws had a place in Marco Island for two decades and we went down every single year until my FIL died.

I miss fresh fried grouper sandwiches. And cooking the mangrove snapper I could catch off the dock.

Every coastal city in FLA will talk about their seafood and Jax is no exception.
Mayport fresh shrimp is fantastic and we love them. It’s really the only fried food I love 🍤.
Very true and the Gulf Coast is no exception. Whether it's gulf shrimp, grouper, snapper, cobia or whatever is in season, you can find it fresh off the docks in seaside restaurants. Be sure to start with an app of raw oysters during the cooler months.

Downtown-Davenport2.jpg

P1140744.JPG

Bon Appetit!

I will be up there, to visit Kankakee, Peoria and Kewanee, sometime between March and May. I am going to detour over to the QC for some pizza. I have a HORT thread saved with recommendations. There's a Casey's in Kewanee and not much else anymore. I'll grab a breakfast pizza on the way out of town.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Moral and torbee
My inlaws had a place in Marco Island for two decades and we went down every single year until my FIL died.

I miss fresh fried grouper sandwiches. And cooking the mangrove snapper I could catch off the dock.

Did you ever eat at Snook's on Marco?

Sure, sure. Same thing when I refuse to eat Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs in the can.
But you've never tried it. You've formed an opinion without the essential data. That makes you like a three-year-old who won't try mommy's cooking because it doesn't look like nuggets and butter noodles. You are a pisspants baby.

I will be up there, to visit Kankakee, Peoria and Kewanee, sometime between March and May. I am going to detour over to the QC for some pizza. I have a HORT thread saved with recommendations. There's a Casey's in Kewanee and not much else anymore. I'll grab a breakfast pizza on the way out of town.
Shoot me a DM on HROT when you are in town if you feel like a dining companion. Happy to meet you at Frank's or Uncle Bill's.

By the way, this is a good place to eat in Kewanee:

cerno-s-bar-and-grill.jpg

6a00d8341cad8253ef01b7c70b1acc970b-800wi

Fried grouper sandwich reminds me of my dear departed Dad who liked to tell the story of how he and Mom went out to eat in Cedar Key and he asked about ordering a fried fish sandwich. The waitress said “yessir you can have any fish sandwich you want as long as it’s grouper”.
Seems that is what they catch a lot of off Cedar Key. 🤔

Fried grouper sandwich reminds me of my dear departed Dad who liked to tell the story of how he and Mom went out to eat in Cedar Key and he asked about ordering a fried fish sandwich. The waitress said “yessir you can have any fish sandwich you want as long as it’s grouper”.
Seems that is what they catch a lot of off Cedar Key. 🤔
I know there was controversy some years back in the Naples/Marco area about quite a few restaurants passing off other types of fish as "grouper." Pretty low if you ask me.

But you've never tried it. You've formed an opinion without the essential data. That makes you like a three-year-old who won't try mommy's cooking because it doesn't look like nuggets and butter noodles. You are a pisspants baby.
Are you suggesting that I need to eat a steak at Golden Corral in order to know that’s it’s crap? I can’t look at its thin gristlely grey exterior and determine that it’s crap?
If so, I’m happy to be a baby.

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
Are you suggesting that I need to eat a steak at Golden Corral in order to know that’s it’s crap? I can’t look at its thin gristlely grey exterior and determine that it’s crap?
If so, I’m happy to be a baby.
Golden Corral is a shitty national chain with low quality ingredients and trashy employees.

Every QC Style pizza parlor around here is a small, family-run business that uses fresh, local ingredients.

That is a pathetic and idiotic analogy.

You are flailing and failing at your attempt to disparage something you know literally nothing about.

• Haha
Tampa Cuban Sandwich

Sour Orange Pie

Grouper Sandwich

Smoked Fish

------------------

Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop

Miami Cuban Sandwich

Key Lime Pie

Picadillo/Ropa Vieja

Stone Crabs

Love Cuban's and key lime pie. There's a local restaurant run by a Cuban lady that has great Cuban's but I'd love to get the real thing sometime.

Golden Corral is a shitty national chain with low quality ingredients and trashy employees.

Every QC Style pizza parlor around here is a small, family-run business that uses fresh, local ingredients.

That is a pathetic and idiotic analogy.

You are flailing and failing at your attempt to disparage something you know literally nothing about.
Come on, you’re defending a style that copied Ohio, and the only thing they’re known for is fat people.

• Haha
I’m trying to share a culinary specialty with a nice group of new friends and you’re over here making the same lazy jokes like the George Lopez of Tallahassee.

L

A

M

E
Ah, but they’re all new to these posters!
Maybe in 10 years you guys can claim bison burgers!

You can't come to Pensacola Beach without getting a Bushwacker.

Yep. When I think of Pensacola (which is not where I’m from), I think Bushwhackers, flounder chowder, Reuben egg rolls, Bama Burgers, triggerfish sandwiches, and Blue Angel Potato Chips. But that’s mainly because if I’m in Pensacola I’m going to the same handful of places, McGuires, Flounder’s Chowderhouse, Sandshaker, Florabama, and Bagelheadz all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT