ADVERTISEMENT

Post a culinary specialty from your city or region . . .

This is big in Iowa and in parts of Illinois

THE TACO PIZZA FROM CASEY'S (VIEWER SUGGESTED RECIPE) | SAM THE COOKING GUY

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I love all Cuban sandwiches, even the ridiculous facsimiles that I find in hospital cafeterias here in California that are essentially ham and cheese paninis.

Saw this post yesterday which is why today while I was in Tampa I picked up a Media Noche (plus Tampa fried devilled crab, a cortadito and garbanzo bean soup plus a takeaway guava and cheese empanada for tonight’s late night snack) from La Teresita rather than get some authentic African or Asian dish. I do like a Cubano (especially the original Tampa kind not that garbage from South Florida they try to pass off), but I like a quality Media Noche just one notch more.

And hey, all those sad wannabe defenders of the ”Cubano is not from Tampa, it’s from Key West, Havana, or Miami” can be happy because unlike the actual Cubano made from a Sicilian style bread invented in Tampa now mistakenly called “Cuban bread” rather than what it should be (“Tampa bread”), the Cubans in Havana actually DID invent the media noche when they were forced to use a challah like bread they had locally instead of Tampa bread. So points for Havana in my book, just don’t try to change history about the real history of the Cubano.

Last edited:
Saw this post yesterday which is why today while I was in Tampa I picked up a Media Noche (plus Tampa fried devilled crab, a cortadito and garbanzo bean soup plus a takeaway guava and cheese empanada for tonight’s late night snack) from La Teresita rather than get some authentic African or Asian dish. I do like a Cubano (especially the original Tampa kind not that garbage from South Florida they try to pass off), but I like a quality Media Noche just one notch more.

And hey, all those sad wannabe defenders of the ”Cubano is not from Tampa, it’s from Key West, Havana, or Miami” can be happy because unlike the actual Cubano made from a Sicilian style bread invented in Tampa now mistakenly called “Cuban bread” rather than what it should be (“Tampa bread”), the Cubans in Havana actually DID invent the media noche when they were forced to use a challah like bread they had locally instead of Tampa bread. So points for Havana in my book, just don’t try to change history about the real history of the Cubano.

Interesting, Tampa Cuban Bread is a combination of original Cuban Bread from Cuba and a bread recipe from Sicily.

I love all Cuban sandwiches, even the ridiculous facsimiles that I find in hospital cafeterias here in California that are essentially ham and cheese paninis.

There look to be some very good options for Cuban Sandwiches in LA. I have been to Versailles more than a few times for their garlic chicken but never had their sandwich.

Whenever I finally go to LA again, I am definitely going to Porto's Bakery.

Last edited:

I used to go to both The Cuban Sandwich Shop on N Florida Ave, which you mentioned recently, and La Teresita in the years after I moved here in 2005. I stopped going to La Teresita because it was really dirty and the service was bad. I don't know why I stopped going to The Cuban Sandwich Shop because it was always good. I have been going to the original La Segunda in VM Ybor. It's really good but it is so small and always crowded. I am going to start going back to Cuban Sandwich Shop. It's almost as good as La Segunda with none of the hassle.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
There look to be some very good options for Cuban Sandwiches in LA. I have been to Versailles more than a few times for their garlic chicken but never had their sandwich.

Whenever I finally go to LA again, I am definitely going to Potro's Bakery.

8.5 of the Supposed Top 10 “Cubans” in the LA Eater article aren’t even Cubans. I will allow for some slight variations but fried chicken, bbqed pork shoulder, Monterey Jack cheese and ordinary rolls instead of Cuban/Tampan bread is complete bulls%*^.

If you’re wondering why I call BS on each sandwich it’s because:

1) A Cut Above - flagged for using jalapeños, cilantro, sweet carmelized onions, and a bagette
2) Beer Belly - flagged for using fried chicken, pickled jalapeño and a sesame bagette
3) Crispy Cuban - These are actual Cubans and kudos for making all three variations in the original Tampa Cuban, the Miami ripoff and the Havana Media Noche.
4) Division 3 - flagged for using pork belly, Monterey Jack cheese and a Brazilian roll
5) The Front Yard - flagged for using hickory bbqed pork shoulder and a baguette
6) Porto’s - flagged for using whatever the hell “Cuban dressing” is instead of simple yellow mustard and using a generic bread roll
7) Punta Cubano - flagged only for using the wrong bread so this is the half I added to come up with 8.5
8) Sack Sandwiches - flagged for using mayo (and a Horrifyingly gross ton of it for a nonMidwesterner) and a “roll with a light crust” which is the exact opposite of the bread you want
9) The San Fernando - flagged for using pork belly and Gruyere cheese
10) Tabula Rasa Bar - flagged for using garlic champagne mustard Instead of American yellow mustard and a bolillo roll

I‘m sure all of the above are decent sandwiches but only one is an actual Cubano.

I used to go to both The Cuban Sandwich Shop on N Florida Ave, which you mentioned recently, and La Teresita in the years after I moved here in 2005. I stopped going to La Teresita because it was really dirty and the service was bad. I don't know why I stopped going to The Cuban Sandwich Shop because it was always good. I have been going to the original La Segunda in VM Ybor. It's really good but it is so small and always crowded. I am going to start going back to Cuban Sandwich Shop. It's almost as good as La Segunda with none of the hassle.

La Teresita for me usually has good service in the sitdown section portion of the restaurant and has awful service in the diner bar/countertop section. Frankly even this time (we did eat in the diner section) while the food was great the waitress was a disinterested cun+ who brought our food out late and forgot my soup until I reminded her. Fortunately the food was still a 10/10 and cheap so I didn‘t mind the terrible service that was a 2 or 3 out of 10 at most.

As far as the Cuban Sandwich Shop, it’s fantastic and my family has been going there for at least 40 years. Everything they do there is top notch and the service is better than La Teresita, the only downside is that La Teresita’s has a menu twice or three times as big. But straight up Cubano versus Cubano, I do prefer the Cuban Sandwich Shop. And their stuffed potato and devilled crab are better as well.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
8.5 of the Supposed Top 10 “Cubans” in the LA Eater article aren’t even Cubans. I will allow for some slight variations but fried chicken, bbqed pork shoulder, Monterey Jack cheese and ordinary rolls instead of Cuban/Tampan bread is complete bulls%*^.

If you’re wondering why I call BS on each sandwich it’s because:

1) A Cut Above - flagged for using jalapeños, cilantro, sweet carmelized onions, and a bagette
2) Beer Belly - flagged for using fried chicken, pickled jalapeño and a sesame bagette
3) Crispy Cuban - These are actual Cubans and kudos for making all three variations in the original Tampa Cuban, the Miami ripoff and the Havana Media Noche.
4) Division 3 - flagged for using pork belly, Monterey Jack cheese and a Brazilian roll
5) The Front Yard - flagged for using hickory bbqed pork shoulder and a baguette
6) Porto’s - flagged for using whatever the hell “Cuban dressing” is instead of simple yellow mustard and using a generic bread roll
7) Punta Cubano - flagged only for using the wrong bread so this is the half I added to come up with 8.5
8) Sack Sandwiches - flagged for using mayo (and a Horrifyingly gross ton of it for a nonMidwesterner) and a “roll with a light crust” which is the exact opposite of the bread you want
9) The San Fernando - flagged for using pork belly and Gruyere cheese
10) Tabula Rasa Bar - flagged for using garlic champagne mustard Instead of American yellow mustard and a bolillo roll

I‘m sure all of the above are decent sandwiches but only one is an actual Cubano.

I like the occasional "gourmet" Cuban from time to time. I used to go to Stone Soup on 7th Ave in Ybor but haven't been since they moved to their bigger location. Both their gourmet Cuban and French Onion Soup are very good.

Porto's in LA interests me because the owner fled Cuba in 1976 and supported her family by baking and selling bread on the island after her husband was sent to a labor camp and she was fired from her job by the regime. I want to see how their bread compares to the bread from Tampa and Miami.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

In case you're not aware, this is a hill Tribe is willing to die on.

In Pittsburgh, and Ft Lauderdale, the Primanti Brothers Pittsburger

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2016__03__20160229-pittsburgh-adam-milliron-4copy-2e8e2c04ee1b439fb6cac24685a5346b.jpg

Reactions: GeddyLee09
I would submit Chicken Fried Steak as popular specialty from my area.

As a nonTexan and nonOklahoman who married into a family of Oklahoman oil folks, I found I much preferred the Chicken Fried Chicken to the CFS. Even at steak places they are slightly better.

But I will say this, I much prefer the chicken fried steak over their other cousin from Wyoming/Montana the steak fingers. It’s because out in the Mountain West they barely season their gravy, it’s just uncooked flour and butter with no sausage or bacon drippings and barely any black pepper and salt. (I’m purposefully leaving out the Idaho variation which is a true abomination, steak fingers with shrimp cocktail sauce as I’m trying to forget them).

I will also say that lambs Fry beats Rocky Mountain oysters when it comes to the desirability of eating animal testicles.

Reactions: BelemNole
Every coastal city in FLA will talk about their seafood and Jax is no exception.
Mayport fresh shrimp is fantastic and we love them. It’s really the only fried food I love 🍤.
That's good to know. Thanks. I really love those Banger Banger shrimp they serve at Bonefish Grill. You don't like fried poke chops with chitlins, hog jowels, and collard greens with some conebread on the side? That's some good Souuuuul Train viddles. Yes 'em! Its put three hairs on my chest. :cool:

Reactions: goldmom

Local place here in Iowa has a chef with a Cuban background makes great medianoche. Granted I've never had a Florida medianoche but I love it

Any mom n pop place along Florida’s coastline!!

Forget the big fancy joints

Florida native here and without a doubt Florida has the best seafood - bar none, hands down, end of story!!

My wife is from outside of Pittsburgh. The steel mills brought in a huge Slavic community. Their food is simple, rustic and mostly outstanding. Most people know pierogis and stuffed cabbage but might not have heard of Haluski. It's a cabbage and noodle dish cooked down in a frying pan in butter. Years ago we had a Yankees vs Rebels cookoff during a spring game tailgate. I brought BBQ and my wife Haluski. I think it was the first thing completely eaten.

Not only is the seafood at these places fresh and consistently just good stuff the setting and atmosphere is authentic too.
Singletons at Mayport is one of those family owned old Florida eateries and so is Cap’s on the Water in Vilano Beach - both are always busy and fun.

I don't know what "style" of pizza t would have been called but a local Tallahassee place called Barnaby's had the best I've ever tasted. And as previous posters have stated pretty much any coastal town boasts fried seafood that is sublime. My favorite is a whole fried Flounder at The Seineyard.

I don't know what "style" of pizza t would have been called but a local Tallahassee place called Barnaby's had the best I've ever tasted. And as previous posters have stated pretty much any coastal town boasts fried seafood that is sublime. My favorite is a whole fried Flounder at The Seineyard.

Barnaby's still exists in the suburbs north of Chicago, in South Bend and in another town east of South Bend. I have the recipe but have yet to make it.

Barnaby's is a version of Chicago thin crust pizza. Some versions are thin, like Barnaby's and others like Pat's in Lakeview which is near Wrigley Field is "nine papers thick." Pat's has an outpost just off Tampa Rd between Oldsmar and Palm Harbor.

Battle for Chicago’s Best: Pat’s Pizza and Ristorante

'

Last edited:
Barnaby's still exists in the suburbs north of Chicago, in South Bend and in another town east of South Bend. I have the recipe but have yet to make it.

Barnaby's is a version of Chicago thin crust pizza. Some versions are thin, like Barnaby's and others like Pat's in Lakeview which is near Wrigley Field is "nine papers thick." Pat's has an outpost just off Tampa Rd between Oldsmar and Palm Harbor.

Battle for Chicago’s Best: Pat’s Pizza and Ristorante

I love pizza cut in squares! Give me those inside slices.

Late to this thread (as usual). Living in Jacksonville for some reason the FIRST thing I thought of were Zubies. They have unfortunately(?) closed. I think. Think of a greasy sloppy joe with various toppings served on a hotdog bun.

Speaking of cuban sandwiches, I was SHOCKED to find a place up in North GA called "Rum Cake Lady" that serves really really good Cuban food, including the sandwiches, cafe, and of course, the eponymous dessert.

In Pittsburgh, and Ft Lauderdale, the Primanti Brothers Pittsburger

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2016__03__20160229-pittsburgh-adam-milliron-4copy-2e8e2c04ee1b439fb6cac24685a5346b.jpg

Primanti's Jumbo (Pittsburgese for bologna) sandwich is the best IMO.

My wife is from outside of Pittsburgh. The steel mills brought in a huge Slavic community. Their food is simple, rustic and mostly outstanding. Most people know pierogis and stuffed cabbage but might not have heard of Haluski. It's a cabbage and noodle dish cooked down in a frying pan in butter. Years ago we had a Yankees vs Rebels cookoff during a spring game tailgate. I brought BBQ and my wife Haluski. I think it was the first thing completely eaten.

My parents families are from outside of Pittsburgh. Haven't had this since I was a kid. Made it last night.

That corner has two of my favorite comfort food restaurants, Tito's being one of them, and two excellent dive bars. Tito's is awesome! It's like this beautiful hybrid of the traditional taqueria and the traditional diner that flank it. The tacos are classic, but my favorite is the all-meat burrito with cheese. It's essentially the most flavorful chili con carne loaded up with freshly shredded cheddar cheese and wrapped in a grilled flour tortilla. That burrito plus two tacos and a side of salsa sustained me on many a long night in graduate school.

The only thing better than a Tito's taco is two!

What's the name of the other place at the same corner as Tito's?

That is a solid list. Langer’s and Philippe’s are definitely iconic and excellent. Cielito Lindo and Roscoe’s are not best versions of the food that you can get, but they are solid and well worth the trip for the experience. Randy’s… well, you can see the most notable element from the 405. For donuts, if you want the best, you go to Donut Man in Glendora or Primo’s; if you want iconic, then you go to any tiny Cambodian-run donut shop and grab a pink box.

Langer’s has the only pastrami sandwich that tops NYC’s Katz. I especially like whichever number comes with the chopped liver and Russian dressing.

That is a solid list. Langer’s and Philippe’s are definitely iconic and excellent. Cielito Lindo and Roscoe’s are not best versions of the food that you can get, but they are solid and well worth the trip for the experience. Randy’s… well, you can see the most notable element from the 405. For donuts, if you want the best, you go to Donut Man in Glendora or Primo’s; if you want iconic, then you go to any tiny Cambodian-run donut shop and grab a pink box.

I always go to the same places when I am there. Philippe’s is usually the first stop and then the Original Tommy's original shack location around 2 am. Last time I was there I struck out on Randy's Donuts because there was a really aggressive homeless person and I didn't feel like getting carjacked. I drove all the way to Silver Lake for Tex-Mex at HomeState but the line was at least an hour long and wrapped around the block. That was a miss too.

Original Tommy"s

This Late-Night Burger Is L.A.'s Secret Handshake | The Burger Show

I always go to the same places when I am there. Philippe’s is usually the first stop and then the Original Tommy's original shack location around 2 am. Last time I was there I struck out on Randy's Donuts because there was a really aggressive homeless person and I didn't feel like getting carjacked. I drove all the way to Silver Lake for Tex-Mex at HomeState but the line was at least an hour long and wrapped around the block. That was a miss too.

Original Tommy"s

This Late-Night Burger Is L.A.'s Secret Handshake | The Burger Show

Tommy's burger recipe

Tommy's Original Double Chili Cheeseburger Copycat!

From my kitchen in the last week.

Thai larb lettuce wraps.
Piccadillo for empanadas
Chicken and cream cheese (Brazilian frango caitupiry) for pastel (empanada)

I had really tasty feijoada from a place in the little Brazilian enclave in my neighborhood this week.

Feijoada-Brazilian-Black-Bean-Stew-pin.jpg.webp

In the same little market, there is a place that does pizza in an all-you-can-eat churrascaria style that includes some pretty unusual options, e.g., salad pizza, donut pizza, Nutella and guava pizza, etc. They also have one of the hottest table sauces that I have ever encountered.
That looks outstanding!

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT