ADVERTISEMENT

Posters 60 years old and older

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Looking back on life, how was it? Did you get to visit many of places you wanted to? Accomplish majority of your goals? Do you feel civilization is better off? Are your pronouns in your email signature?

Drop some wisdom for us.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Looking back on life, how was it? Did you get to visit many of places you wanted to? Accomplish majority of your goals? Do you feel civilization is better off? Are your pronouns in your email signature?

Drop some wisdom for us.
I am basically happy where I am. I haven't visited all the places I hoped to see but there is time for that. In the last five years I've been to South America, Central America and Europe. Both of our kids are successful both personally and professionally. I take great pride in that. Is civilization better off because of me? No. My level of arrogance is not great enough to say that. I will say that generally our country is not in a better place. We are more divided than ever in about every way possible. No. My pronouns are not in my email but I don't care if others choose to put them there. What they do does not affect me at all. Being upset by such trivial things is an indication of that divide I mentioned earlier.

gators Still SUCK!

I am basically happy where I am. I haven't visited all the places I hoped to see but there is time for that. In the last five years I've been to South America, Central America and Europe. Both of our kids are successful both personally and professionally. I take great pride in that. Is civilization better off because of me? No. My level of arrogance is not great enough to say that. I will say that generally our country is not in a better place. We are more divided than ever in about every way possible. No. My pronouns are not in my email but I don't care if others choose to put them there. What they do does not affect me at all. Being upset by such trivial things is an indication of that divide I mentioned earlier.

gators Still SUCK!

Where'd you go in South America?

I went to southern Brazil in 2020 right before covid hit.

Reactions: bcherod
As I get ready for next month's advancement to 72, I can honestly say I did all right, for myself and the family. My bucket list is still full (don't have that 'Vette yet) but I'm still healthy enought to get a lot of it accomplished still.

It took us longer to get to retirement, but we're enjoying it to the max.

I’m still enjoying good health and life in general.
My children and grandchildren and a family nearby make life worth living.

Do you think civilization is better off today than when your parents were your age?

In a couple decades, America will have more 80 year olds than infants.
Time for someone to invent the Logan's Run zapper.

logans-carousel.gif

Drop some wisdom for us.
Life is good. Did a lot of traveling, especially when I was younger. I am an experiential personality that has seen the world and experienced much. I married in my mid 30s and my wife had our son in my late thirties. Made decisions after that based on what is best for our family, rather than what is best for my career or what is best to maximize $$$$. Hence I was able to be in my son's life as he grew up never missing sporting events, school events, even taking him to school when he was young. I live where I want to live and where we thought it was best for our family. I gave up a really cool career that paid well because I was on the road a lot. Never gave it another thought and it was absolutely worth it.

I have always thought outside of the box.
Been a great life so far............

Life is good. Did a lot of traveling, especially when I was younger. I am an experiential personality that has seen the world and experienced much. I married in my mid 30s and my wife had our son in my late thirties. Made decisions after that based on what is best for our family, rather than what is best for my career or what is best to maximize $$$$. Hence I was able to be in my son's life as he grew up never missing sporting events, school events, even taking him to school when he was young. I live where I want to live and where we thought it was best for our family. I gave up a really cool career that paid well because I was on the road a lot. Never gave it another thought and it was absolutely worth it.

I have always thought outside of the box.
Been a great life so far............

Are you pleased with how your son turned out? Seems like you gave up a lot to pour a lot more into him and your relationship with him.

There have been some tumultuous times in my life, but for the most part, I am pleased.

I would never trade my having grown up in Japan, and having lived in Brazil for anything, plus the travel that I did. Did I miss out on some things? Yes, but I'm grateful for the education that I received from the DOD faculty, as well as FSU, and the life that I lived.

There have been some tumultuous times in my life, but for the most part, I am pleased.

I would never trade my having grown up in Japan, and having lived in Brazil for anything, plus the travel that I did. Did I miss out on some things? Yes, but I'm grateful for the education that I received from the DOD faculty, as well as FSU, and the life that I lived.

Where and when did you live in Brazil?

I went to Santa Cararina in the south for a wedding. My Mom (no pics) got her coat stolen in the Sao Paolo airport when my Dad fell asleep next to it.

I’m 79 and doing pretty good. I just pace myself when it comes to more strenuous projects. I was a military brat so we moved just about every 4 years. That was good for seeing different parts of the USA and world, but not so good for relationships. But I loved it. Right now I’m happy and feel I accomplished a lot. Great wife (second time around) and two fantastic sons. And we all love FSU. Graduated in 1966.

Reactions: 12Nole
Where and when did you live in Brazil?

I went to Santa Cararina in the south for a wedding. My Mom (no pics) got her coat stolen in the Sao Paolo airport when my Dad fell asleep next to it.
I lived in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre in 76-79, but I then went to NY and worked for VARIG for 17 years, so I was constantly in Brazil. I worked at the ECO that was in Rio.

I love Santa Catarina. We once stayed at a beach house in Florianopolis, right after we had seen Jaws. You can imagine, we were paddling around on surfboards in the bay with out feet up.

My first husband is Brazilian. I met him here, at FSU. He was on a tennis scholarship.

Getting ripped off as much as I did in Brazil really conditioned me for life in NYC.

I lived in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre in 76-79, but I then went to NY and worked for VARIG for 17 years, so I was constantly in Brazil. I worked at the ECO that was in Rio.

I love Santa Catarina. We once stayed at a beach house in Florianopolis, right after we had seen Jaws. You can imagine, we were paddling around on surfboards in the bay with out feet up.

My first husband is Brazilian. I met him here, at FSU. He was on a tennis scholarship.

Getting ripped off as much as I did in Brazil really conditioned me for life in NYC.

I was supposed to go to Florianopolis but it was pouring rain that day so we canceled. 😢

I was supposed to go to Florianopolis but it was pouring rain that day so we canceled. 😢
Did you have a chance to have café colonial on that rainy day? They really only have it in the south of Brazil because it really has a German/Swiss background. It's comparable to "High Tea", but way less formal. Coffee or hot chocolate with an array of sweets, cold cuts and fruits. We used to get that everyday after 4 in the south, but mainly in the smaller towns.

Did you have a chance to have café colonial on that rainy day? They really only have it in the south of Brazil because it really has a German/Swiss background. It's comparable to "High Tea", but way less formal. Coffee or hot chocolate with an array of sweets, cold cuts and fruits. We used to get that everyday after 4 in the south, but mainly in the smaller towns.

I can't recall but the food was amazing. So many desserts and chocolate, too. 😀

I can't recall but the food was amazing. So many desserts and chocolate, too. 😀
Oh yes, the chocolate. That comes from the German migration of the 1830's to the south of Brazil.

The Portuguese were starving in Rio, as it was a bad fishing year, so they sent word to Europe that they would give land to people to come and farm, so a lot of Italians and Germans from the countryside went to Brazil to farm, and they brought those things with them. So, there is incredible chocolate in the South.

Drop some wisdom for us.
I am 77 and life is, and has been, good. I miss my parents, my little brother and my in-laws. Life goes on. My wife and I celebrate 50 years this month. The world at large is a tougher place now than when I was younger. I do enjoy my little place in it.

Oh yes, the chocolate. That comes from the German migration of the 1830's to the south of Brazil.

The Portuguese were starving in Rio, as it was a bad fishing year, so they sent word to Europe that they would give land to people to come and farm, so a lot of Italians and Germans from the countryside went to Brazil to farm, and they brought those things with them. So, there is incredible chocolate in the South.

I was here for awhile!

Reactions: bcherod
I’m 79 and doing pretty good. I just pace myself when it comes to more strenuous projects. I was a military brat so we moved just about every 4 years. That was good for seeing different parts of the USA and world, but not so good for relationships. But I loved it. Right now I’m happy and feel I accomplished a lot. Great wife (second time around) and two fantastic sons. And we all love FSU. Graduated in 1966.

Gasp! Someone on here is older then moi?
Thank U GIF by Laff

Used to do a lot of Sao Paulo layovers. Only did the Caipirinhas once. Ugh.

I am Thankful for these 75 years The Good Lord has given me! I am Blessed to have my soul mate as my wife and to two wonderful sons and their families. I will say that civilization in America is in a sad state of decay! As a Veteran of this Great Nation it sickens me to see what is happening daily around America. I was one of the fortunate ones that served our country and came home. Many paid the ultimate price and did not come home in order to preserve The United States of America! To see so many things in America that used to be wrong are now accepted as right and things that are now right used to be wrong. If things continue to spiral downward like they have in the past few years America will cease to exist. God please Bless America!!!

I am Thankful for these 75 years The Good Lord has given me! I am Blessed to have my soul mate as my wife and to two wonderful sons and their families. I will say that civilization in America is in a sad state of decay! As a Veteran of this Great Nation it sickens me to see what is happening daily around America. I was one of the fortunate ones that served our country and came home. Many paid the ultimate price and did not come home in order to preserve The United States of America! To see so many things in America that used to be wrong are now accepted as right and things that are now right used to be wrong. If things continue to spiral downward like they have in the past few years America will cease to exist. God please Bless America!!!
I appreciate your post.

I was a child of the '60's. I came to FSU in '69. Radical Jack on campus. I never went to any protests because of my dad and brother.

Every time I was home on break, the base commander used to stop by the house and ask me about the classes I was taking and I told him. I showed him the books I was reading, especially from a class called "Philosophy of National Liberation Movements". We read Mao's little red book, writings of Ho Chi Minh, and Lenin and Trotsky. Trust me, I was grilled, but never once was anyone upset with what I was learning. I was not taught to be a terrorist. I was taught what terrorism looks like and what the philosophy behind the cells were. The AF brass were not upset at all re what I was learning, it was history, and it's out there. They were impressed that I learned what motivates terrorism, and how cells operate.

Yes, FSU was the Berkley of the South then, but never once was I taught to be anti US.

Divisiveness and polarization has never been as bad as it is now. Back then we accepted differences, now, it's not OK. So I agree with you on that point.

But, things always spiral when there is no large middle class, when the wealth is in the hands of a few, and that is the most harmful thing that can happen to any country, not just ours.

I appreciate your post.

I was a child of the '60's. I came to FSU in '69. Radical Jack on campus. I never went to any protests because of my dad and brother.

Every time I was home on break, the base commander used to stop by the house and ask me about the classes I was taking and I told him. I showed him the books I was reading, especially from a class called "Philosophy of National Liberation Movements". We read Mao's little red book, writings of Ho Chi Minh, and Lenin and Trotsky. Trust me, I was grilled, but never once was anyone upset with what I was learning. I was not taught to be a terrorist. I was taught what terrorism looks like and what the philosophy behind the cells were. The AF brass were not upset at all re what I was learning, it was history, and it's out there. They were impressed that I learned what motivates terrorism, and how cells operate.

Yes, FSU was the Berkley of the South then, but never once was I taught to be anti US.

Divisiveness and polarization has never been as bad as it is now. Back then we accepted differences, now, it's not OK. So I agree with you on that point.

But, things always spiral when there is no large middle class, when the wealth is in the hands of a few, and that is the most harmful thing that can happen to any country, not just ours.

Ah, yes, Radical Jack Lieberman. I'll never forget as a freshman seeing him outside the Student Union peddling his wares, when several really big guys (I assumed football players, but don't really know) knocked over all his stuff and basically terrified him. But, he was back the very next day, so guess that didn't work. Always wondered what became of the guy.

Reactions: goldmom
Ah, yes, Radical Jack Lieberman. I'll never forget as a freshman seeing him outside the Student Union peddling his wares, when several really big guys (I assumed football players, but don't really know) knocked over all his stuff and basically terrified him. But, he was back the very next day, so guess that didn't work. Always wondered what became of the guy.
well, a large portion of the football players sat on the wall over there across from the Moore, so he went through it on a regular basis I would guess.

Reactions: goldmom
Incidentally, a question for everyone. Does anyone have any idea why FSU had such a high population of foreign students, at that time? It's a really interesting story.

I know some of the reasons from my experiences, but am curious what others' experiences were.

Drop some wisdom for us.
To answer your original question. No, I did not get to visit all the places I would have liked to have visited, and of course, there was a time that I just wanted to be Gaughin, and live in Tahiti and do art.
I haven't seen Budapest, Prague, and St. Petersburg in Russia. I haven't been to Greece and Turkey, nor SE Asia, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos, Bangkok, etc.

But, I did get to know Latin America, especially South America, very well.

I would still love to swim with the dolphins. That, at least, is still a possibility.

I still use proper pronouns, and I really don't care what other people choose to do, regarding pronouns.. It's up to them.

But my association with Latin American was and still is, one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. Learning Portuguese and Spanish, history and culture has been a great experience for me, and I treasure all of those associations and my friends from various countries.

Are you pleased with how your son turned out? Seems like you gave up a lot to pour a lot more into him and your relationship with him.
Yes, he is 20, on hiatus from U of Utah. Spent 90 days backpacking Europe and is now a ski instructor at Sun Valley. Really smart..........high test scores good to great grades in HS. Struggled with the pandemic and losing the back end of his senior year and then stuck in his dorm cluster his freshman year at school. He is curious about the world, has done 3 international trips on his own or with a friend. He is very social (why the pandemic was so hard on him) and always has had a good group of friends and a nice girlfriend his senior year of HS. He is trying to figure out what he wants to study and do with his life.......................pretty proud of him, although he can be infuriating at times like all teenagers/young adults!
Think he will find his way...............

EDIT: 1 more thing, he has worked every summer since his freshman year in HS and funded his travel himself. This last year he worked part time in Utah as a ski instructor and then came home and worked 60-70 hours in various restaurants to make his money for his Europe trip..............

Last edited:
Yes, he is 20, on hiatus from U of Utah. Spent 90 days backpacking Europe and is now a ski instructor at Sun Valley. Really smart..........high test scores good to great grades in HS. Struggled with the pandemic and losing the back end of his senior year and then stuck in his dorm cluster his freshman year at school. He is curious about the world, has done 3 international trips on his own or with a friend. He is very social (why the pandemic was so hard on him) and always has had a good group of friends and a nice girlfriend his senior year of HS. He is trying to figure out what he wants to study and do with his life.......................pretty proud of him, although he can be infuriating at times like all teenagers/young adults!
Think he will find his way...............

EDIT: 1 more thing, he has worked every summer since his freshman year in HS and funded his travel himself. This last year he worked part time in Utah as a ski instructor and then came home and worked 60-70 hours in various restaurants to make his money for his Europe trip..............
I love hearing stories like this. I have a few kids that I am their "other mother" (or now, other grandmother, lol). It's so gratifying that you have a kid, or someone else's kid, that work hard, make good decisions, and know that they have to find their way.

65 myself

Never thought I would make it this far

I was blessed with Great children, and I was very involved in coaching them in sports from 5 yrs old thru high school

Divorced, sure didn’t expect that

My faith keeps me going

The world sure seems angrier now, lots of bitchin and blamin

Doesn’t seem that long ago where people would give up their seats for women or the elderly no matter what race

Where yes ma’am and no ma’am we’re the norm

Didn’t have to lock doors to the house

People actually worked for a living

Kids called teachers by their last names

Here’s hoping for just a little bit of the “ good ol days” for you all

I got to retire early at 63. I'm particularly glad my wife and I got to travel the world on company paid incentive trips with spouses. We were younger and went on 15 straight years of those trips to bucket list locations, stayed in Four Season hotels, and everything was planned for us. My 3 kids have all grown up and are all having families of their own. The only life event you never plan on happened to my wife. Cancer at 40 and now at 64 and she is really struggling with her recovery. I don't know what's ahead for her and us, but I'm glad we had so many blessings along the way. Make every day count now is my advice.

I got to retire early at 63. I'm particularly glad my wife and I got to travel the world on company paid incentive trips with spouses. We were younger and went on 15 straight years of those trips to bucket list locations, stayed in Four Season hotels, and everything was planned for us. My 3 kids have all grown up and are all having families of their own. The only life event you never plan on happened to my wife. Cancer at 40 and now at 64 and she is really struggling with her recovery. I don't know what's ahead for her and us, but I'm glad we had so many blessings along the way. Make every day count now is my advice.
Keep hope alive in your heart, things can turn for the better.

Questionnaire with teachers: In the 60's, what was the biggest problem in schools related to students behavior? Chewing gum and smoking cigarettes. Now, its condoms and gun control.

ADVERTISEMENT