ADVERTISEMENT

Real Estate

Where are you going to invest your money right now if you sell? Serious question. Real estate prices will slow, but there won't be some huge crash. Prices right now are driven by cash buyers. You don't have everyone and their brother getting loans they can't afford. And if you put your money in the bank right now you are losing 5-8% year to inflation alone.

It’s going to stay hot for a while. Although I like Florida’s current leadership, we are going to later hate that it is attracting tons of new/more people to a place that is already overcrowded.

Drive down I-75, the Turnpike or I-4 on any given day. Complete nightmares, all. And more Yankees are coming. Look out.

Am I the only one trying to convince their significant other to sell their house and live in a van down by the river? Market is insane in South Florida right now. This can’t possibly hold up.
Where (roughly) are you in South Florida…I am in FM area.

Reactions: squiffynole
It’s going to stay hot for a while. Although I like Florida’s current leadership, we are going to later hate that it is attracting tons of new/more people to a place that is already overcrowded.

Drive down I-75, the Turnpike or I-4 on any given day. Complete nightmares, all. And more Yankees are coming. Look out.
I have definitely noticed a “shift” in the people I see…many more north easterners here on the west coast than 20 yrs ago

Am I the only one trying to convince their significant other to sell their house and live in a van down by the river? Market is insane in South Florida right now. This can’t possibly hold up.
We did that. I put my house on the market here in Roswell (Ga) after raising the price to a point I thought was "high". We had a cash offer in 4 days with no contingencies. My advice is don't sell your home unless you've decided when and where you want to move. We are renting until our house is completed but if I had to do it all over again, I would stay put until I had home #2 almost completed. And fwiw, I'm moving 25 miles north to a much more tax friendly county so my cost of ownership will drop about 20-25%/year.

And then what? Buy another house at two or three times the cost and spend what you made on a down payment? Unless your significantly upgrading in quality, location or neighborhood what's the point? Unless the plan is to move into the trailer on the deer lease.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
And then what? Buy another house at two or three times the cost and spend what you made on a down payment? Unless your significantly upgrading in quality, location or neighborhood what's the point? Unless the plan is to move into the trailer on the deer lease.
I have been living in the same home for the past 25 years. It was originally built in 1974. We basically gutted it when we got it before we moved in. It's location (on the water) is perfect for us so after years of trying to find ways to remodel etc we decided to tear it down and build a new home.

Luckily it isn't in the midst of a pandemic or anything that could make it a more nerve wracking experience. I couldn't afford the house right now if I were trying to buy it.

We learned what the "50%" rule meant when investigating remodeling it. :-(

I have been living in the same home for the past 25 years. It was originally built in 1974. We basically gutted it when we got it before we moved in. It's location (on the water) is perfect for us so after years of trying to find ways to remodel etc we decided to tear it down and build a new home.

Luckily it isn't in the midst of a pandemic or anything that could make it a more nerve wracking experience. I couldn't afford the house right now if I were trying to buy it.

I have a neighbor that jumped in and sold their house in October and got 300k after they paid off the mortgage. He's still renting and having trouble getting into a place he can afford even after a large nonpayment. You can sell for alot but replacing what you had with something comparable is going to cost you way more.

Now I might sell and move to France or Italy but that's a different story.

We built a home once. It was literally the worst experience ever. I Googled stuff like “how to fake your death” and “change your identity and disappear forever.” Let me know if you want me to send you the links. I’ll never delete them.

We built a home once. It was literally the worst experience ever. I Googled stuff like “how to fake your death” and “change your identity and disappear forever.” Let me know if you want me to send you the links. I’ll never delete them.
Building one now. Over budget, delayed, etc. But despite all of that I'm about as excited about that move as I can be.

Florida is becoming unlivable. Crowded and too expensive. It’s quickly becoming unaffordable. I-75 used to be far less congested but now it’s awful up and down the state.

This Yankee would like to come too, but I'd be reinforcing your leadership, not trying to change it.
At these prices, I've got $550k in equity in my house. Would love to sell and move into my rental for 1-3 years until this bubble pops, then buy somewhere below the Mason-Dixon, somewhere red.

I called this guy to help
09saul-recap-superJumbo.jpg

People across the street from me are building a brand new 6,000 square foot house. They started building in early 2020. Not even close to done. The builder ordered the wrong truss package twice. Months have gone by without a single person out working at the house.

I would end up floating face down in that river after spending two to three weeks cooped up in a van with the wife.

Last edited:
I sold my house in Orlando May of 2021 between appreciation and a 15-year mortgage that was almost entirely going to principal I got a nice check and moved to the beach. It was the family house five bedrooms three baths and kids are all grown and I was living there alone. The house is probably now worth $100,000 more than when I sold it but I couldn't believe the price I got when I sold it.

Currently renting just to get to lay of the land and waiting for the market to cool off although I don't expect prices to drop, however there's no way prices can keep going up 30% a year especially with rising mortgage rates and the FEDS probably going to raise the rates another 2% over the next year or two.

There's a permanent traffic jam in South Orlando where i-4 and 417 and the Western beltway all come together. The traffic jam goes all the way down to Haines City.

Then as my son calls it there is the Ocala triangle on i-75. Took a friend of mine 3 hours to get to Gainesville which is normally a 2-hour drive on a Friday at 1:00 p.m.

I sold my house in Orlando May of 2021 between appreciation and a 15-year mortgage that was almost entirely going to principal I got a nice check and moved to the beach. It was the family house five bedrooms three baths and kids are all grown and I was living there alone. The house is probably now worth $100,000 more than when I sold it but I couldn't believe the price I got when I sold it.

Currently renting just to get to lay of the land and waiting for the market to cool off although I don't expect prices to drop, however there's no way prices can keep going up 30% a year especially with rising mortgage rates and the FEDS probably going to raise the rates another 2% over the next year or two.

There's a permanent traffic jam in South Orlando where i-4 and 417 and the Western beltway all come together. The traffic jam goes all the way down to Haines City.

Then as my son calls it there is the Ocala triangle on i-75. Took a friend of mine 3 hours to get to Gainesville which is normally a 2-hour drive on a Friday at 1:00 p.m.
The Florida traffic nightmare is real. Yankees flooded in faster than we could build or widen roads to accommodate them.

The Florida traffic nightmare is real. Yankees flooded in faster than we could build or widen roads to accommodate them.
The drive to Orlando from Tampa is already bad and once you get to Haines City and Champions Gate it's an absolute nightmare. It doesn't matter if it's 3am. There will be bumper to bumper traffic.

Our roads in Florida are becoming so overcrowded we could replace SoCal freeways in commercials where they feature backups.
I think our FDOT needs a new attitude or outlook and at the very least a more realistic approach to looking ahead at what traffic might be like in 15-20 years.
On/off ramps on interstates and local expressways are not adequate for starters. And I-10 between Jax-Tally needs to be repaved. It’s the oldest stretch of US Interstate highway in Florida - over 60 years old.

Another note...I was in Tally two days ago and on Capitol Circle between Thomasville Rd and Mahan Drive just at 5 PM. You people drive like it’s the Daytona 500. Unsafe darting across lanes and going too fast. May I suggest y’all need an expressway where it’s safer? I know you might need to cut down a tree but it might save a life.

It's crazy the amount of new students in our rural county we have gotten this year, all because land is cheap compared to other parts of the state.

Another not, I avoid 75 like the plague will take 27 or 441 to avoid the inevitable 2 hour back because of a wreck.

Our roads in Florida are becoming so overcrowded we could replace SoCal freeways in commercials where they feature backups.
I think our FDOT needs a new attitude or outlook and at the very least a more realistic approach to looking ahead at what traffic might be like in 15-20 years.
On/off ramps on interstates and local expressways are not adequate for starters. And I-10 between Jax-Tally needs to be repaved. It’s the oldest stretch of US Interstate highway in Florida - over 60 years old.

Another note...I was in Tally two days ago and on Capitol Circle between Thomasville Rd and Mahan Drive just at 5 PM. You people drive like it’s the Daytona 500. Unsafe darting across lanes and going too fast. May I suggest y’all need an expressway where it’s safer? I know you might need to cut down a tree but it might save a life.
Heading down to Florida for a family wedding in a week. (Boca Grande). Will spend some time on Treasure Island and then New Port Ritchey (probably see some friends in N. Tampa area). Haven't been down in a couple years. Looking forward to seeing first hand what all the excitement is about.

But, roads cost money to build, money that isn't there if you don't have some form of taxation to get it. Federal infrastructure money is on its way (bet few on here are happy about that bill), but you in the state will need to come up with some serious tax revenues to fix and expand all those roads!!! Kind of reminds me about Prop 13 in California passed in 1978. Did its job and curtailed taxes, but over time California became a much less livable place with crazy traffic and poor infrastructure and the taxes eventually did go up in spades!

Where are you in Broward Spear? We bought our first (and what was presumably our last) condominium in Lauderdale by the Sea in April of 2019….it has increased in value over $300,000 in three short years (Zillow estimate and comps in the building) not even accounting for our capital improvements when we bought. The HUGE question is “Where do we go?” We are in walking distance of dozens of restaurants, bars, and other amenities…I’m not sure we could improve our position even with the capital gains. I think we‘re staying put….although traffic here in the season…no bueno. No van though….yuck.

The tree huggers have shot down the few attempts Tallahassee planners have made to build limited access roads.

One example from the 60s was to be called the Seminole Expressway that would have begun at Franklin Boulevard and East Tennessee, paralleled the railroad tracks, and rejoined West Tennessee around Ocala Road. Basically a bypass of the immediate downtown. But it was killed.

Looking back, it was too short in scope. It should have run at least from Capital Circle Northeast to Capital Circle Northwest. But back then Capital Circle was called the Truck Route!

Reactions: fsufool and goldmom

I was in Tallahassee last weekend for my youngest graduation. So many memories with two kids going there and going there myself and going there for 43 years of football games once or twice a year.

I or at least part of me thinks I'm getting old but I'll be doing 80 in the Middle Lane and some a****** and a humongous pickup truck that would decapitate me would come within a foot of my ass pass me on the right lane and then cut the gap to a car in the right lane in order to get around a left lane camper.

I purchased a sports car about a year and a half I was in the left lane on i-75 with a left lane camper so I moved into the middle Lane to pass in. After I moved in and after he surely should have seen me another a****** in a minivan cut me off. I moved to the far right lane to get around him and he accelerated to keep me from passing.

My car is fast and I've never been a car guy. I hit the accelerator went into the far right lane but not from one foot behind him and before I knew it I was at 110. Then I resume my previous position in the Middle Lane and slow down to 75 or 80.

I love doing that s*** to people who try to cut me off on the right lane at one foot and then cut the gap between the car on the right lane and me.

And I often drive in the far right lane on a three-lane interstate to keep people from passing me on the right. But I won't do this when there are lots of entrance ramps with cars merging

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing that you are apparently an offspring of the Rand McNally family. Do you have a large family tree? They are working on the 2023 Edition if you want to call and offer some more friendly tips for drivers abroad before they go to print. Thank you, kindly. :)

Thank you for sharing that you are apparently an offspring of the Rand McNally family. Do you have a large family tree? They are working on the 2023 Edition if you want to call and offer some more friendly tips for drivers abroad before they go to print. Thank you, kindly. :)
One of my specialties is taking the back ways around Tallahassee-still remember a lot of them 40 years later and it does help me get around traffic. 😬

My car is fast and I've never been a car guy. I hit the accelerator went into the far right lane but not from one foot behind him and before I knew it I was at 110. Then I resume my previous position in the Middle Lane and slow down to 75 or 80.

I love doing that s*** to people who try to cut me off on the right lane at one foot and then cut the gap between the car on the right lane and me.

And I often drive in the far right lane on a three-lane interstate to keep people from passing me on the right. But I won't do this when there are lots of entrance ramps with cars merging
Sarcasm font?

Orlando’s roads have been under constant construction for 40+ years, but traffic is still horrible (and seemingly getting worse). Government cannot (or will not) build roads quickly enough to keep pace with the horribly-managed growth explosion.

Back in the day corrupt county commissioners were paid off to approve virtually any Tom-Dick-and-Harry project that came before them. So crap popped up out in the middle of BFE, and then we needed schools, hospitals, fire departments, ROADS and all of the rest to “service” those ill-advised projects. Now here we are.

Reactions: fsufool
The abomination known as “The Villages” is a classic example of how rural Florida was allowed to explode in a way that the existing infrastructure cannot begin to support.

Reactions: fsufool
Sarcasm font?
🤣 I don't understand. There was a left lane camper with four or five cars behind him wanting to go faster and the middle lane and right lane were wide open.

I hate left lane campers particularly on a three-lane interstate. On the drive from Denver to the ski resort there is an overhead billboard from the state that says camp in the mountains not in the left lane. 😉

In terms of getting old driving on the interstate I don't like. I usually take 520 to Orlando rather than the interstate and the beach line as it is now called. Reminds me of Miami on the interstates people constantly cutting each other off. People zipping in and out of lanes only to move ahead two cars because there is no where to go due to traffic

I would say it is a lot nicer here than depicted on the show. Some of it is reflected well but there is also a lot more wealth than depicted on the show.

You know I have always wanted to visit there and that show makes it more appealing. Before the show I imagine it was the unknown beautiful mountains of which nobody thought. Everybody knows the smokies and the Rockies and the Pacific mountains

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT