ADVERTISEMENT

Real Estate

Davie. Bought around 565k in 2016 and would prob grab just short of 1 mill now. It was stagnant in my neighborhood the first 4 years but has taken off the last 2. I have relatives that bought in Jupiter and have literally doubled their values in the last 24 months. My mother lives just south of downtown Orlando. She bought a tiny 3 bedroom for 150 in 2011. Same property is worth 420k now. Other states haven’t seen the same appreciation. Was visiting with family from Wichita Kansas this weekend. They have a 5 bedroom house that hasn’t appreciated one nickel in the last few years. Worth about 275k. So there are definitely moves to be made if you’re willing to leave the state.
Where are you in Broward Spear? We bought our first (and what was presumably our last) condominium in Lauderdale by the Sea in April of 2019….it has increased in value over $300,000 in three short years (Zillow estimate and comps in the building) not even accounting for our capital improvements when we bought. The HUGE question is “Where do we go?” We are in walking distance of dozens of restaurants, bars, and other amenities…I’m not sure we could improve our position even with the capital gains. I think we‘re staying put….although traffic here in the season…no bueno. No van though….yuck.

Reactions: fsufool
Davie. Bought around 565k in 2016 and would prob grab just short of 1 mill now. It was stagnant in my neighborhood the first 4 years but has taken off the last 2. I have relatives that bought in Jupiter and have literally doubled their values in the last 24 months. My mother lives just south of downtown Orlando. She bought a tiny 3 bedroom for 150 in 2011. Same property is worth 420k now. Other states haven’t seen the same appreciation. Was visiting with family from Wichita Kansas this weekend. They have a 5 bedroom house that hasn’t appreciated one nickel in the last few years. Worth about 275k. So there are definitely moves to be made if you’re willing to leave the state.
We will always have a presence in Broward….grew up in NE Fort Lauderdale….this and Tallahassee are home. That said…we may rent some places in the coming Summers up in NC, etc….just to escape the heat.

You know I have always wanted to visit there and that show makes it more appealing. Before the show I imagine it was the unknown beautiful mountains of which nobody thought. Everybody knows the smokies and the Rockies and the Pacific mountains
The Ozarks, particularly around the Lake of the Ozarks is more of high plateau with the lake in valleys.

Lake of the Ozarks is about 1:30 NE of Springfield. About an hour south of Springfield is Branson / Tablerock Lake. It is a big hillier down there. The bigger “peaks” of the Ozarks are in northwest Arkansas in the Boston Mountains near Fayetteville.

a little further south from there you have the Ouchita Mountains in Arkansas and extending into eastern Oklahoma.

there is a lot of nature to enjoy throughout the whole area. A good number of lakes to enjoy, excellent fishing / hunting, hiking and biking trails, natural springs, a good number of rivers as well for rafting, kayaking and fishing. Some great golf courses as well.

due to tourism and wealthy that come from Kansas City, St Louis, Chicago, etc, there are more solid dining options than you would expect in an otherwise rural area.

Branson - lots of entertainment, shows, amusement parks, golf. The lake seems secondary to the entertainment. Reminds me of Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge.

Lake of the Ozarks - people come here for the lake. Boating, skiing, tubing, swimming, fishing, etc.

Reactions: fsufool
We will always have a presence in Broward….grew up in NE Fort Lauderdale….this and Tallahassee are home. That said…we may rent some places in the coming Summers up in NC, etc….just to escape the heat.
I hear ya. My wife and I are native South Floridians as well and are likely never moving even though I have the pipe dreams of selling.

Reactions: FSUDoles
ADVERTISEMENT