ADVERTISEMENT

Recession Proof Careers

Information technology. Networks have to run and applications need support.

The daughter of one of our neighbors is studying for her PhD in epidemiology. I'll have to ask them what she's up to these days.

Insurance. I'm not sure theres any career recession proof but maybe recession resistant

Professional and experienced dispenser of opinion and advice on message boards.
:)
I see what you did there with the word dispenser. May I add bold predictors as well? I think they will always be in need. You know, for entertainment purposes.

Reactions: goldmom
Teacher here in NY. Union makes them completely invulnerable.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Pest control and termite industry. Will forever be a market. We are booming right now

Tough times back in the times of Prohibition....18th Amendment. Our new breweries throughout the country are struggling....if they aren’t distributing in big box.

The 60s & 70s were not kind to the industry either. All the young folks had dropped their fathers whiskey for weed. Many distilleries went under during this period.

Reactions: FSUDoles
I’ve worked for the Gallo Winery for 19 years and we never laid off a single employee post 9/11 or during the Great Recession. This is will be an interesting recovery, but our sales nationally have continued to grow these last two months.

Plumbers, electricians and HVAC techs. They will always be needed and their jobs can never be outsourced to a foreign country.

This. Haven't missed a beat since the pandemic started. Easy to work remotely. Always needed.
There is truth to this. A number of my clients are moving to at least partially remote positions now for their IT personnel. Working on a Cloud Engineer role that's just that.

Reactions: Random_John
I made more money during the recession than I did the last couple years. Probably because they’re more agents and I’m older and less inclined to put up with people.

unless you work in elective surgery.
True.
They completely shut down any elective/cosmetic procedures pretty quick...some offices just shut down completely then.
We deal exclusively with cancer so we were able to stay open...however we had to furlough half our staff as the patient #'s dropped to well below 50% of normal.
I just hired one of the furloughed staff back this Monday.

Reactions: MoreToPrideNole850
ADVERTISEMENT