ADVERTISEMENT

Runners Knee

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Here's my background, 62, run 3 times a week, trail running in the woods around my home. Was told I have Runners Knee probably about five years ago. It flares up a few times a year in my left knee, no pain, just that fluid in the knee feeling. Went to the family doc yesterday because I've had it for over a month and it is still persisting despite not running. He said if I saw an ortho guy all they'd do is give me a steroid shot and I'd only have two left. He suggested starting to run again and see how it responds. Any gizmos or suggested treatments for this?

He said if I saw an ortho guy all they'd do is give me a steroid shot and I'd only have two left.

On the bright side, if you were a horse you'd only get one shot...

I imagine at 62 it's pretty hard to change your gait, but you could try running like the Tarahumara.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
Try Osteobilflex. Not sure if we have the same condition, but both my knees kill me at times to where I give into them getting up and down, gonig up and down stairs and even swinging the golf club. Jogging is basically impossible. But after some doses of this stuff they really don't bother me much. It's crazy the way it works...

Exercises to make sure leg muscles are balanced (visit a PT or look online); helps patella track as it should

A knee band (not a brace) may help with tracking as well

Therapeutic ibuprofen (800mg, 3-4 times a day) or naproxen for a week or two; talk to doctor for contraindications; take with food

Regular use of osteobiflex may or may not help; sporadic use is probably a waste of money

Take up swimming and/or biking

If you've had an MRI and there are no tears or anything, you're probably not actually causing damage beyond normal wear and tear

My knee hurts when I run downhill the most, as opposed to a level path or uphill. I wear a knee band right below the patella. I also use Arnica gel and anti-inflammatories when I over do it.

the former trainer of the Chiefs told us that if you have knee pain after running, ice your knees when done and the pain will go away within a few days

Is your shoe fitting well? I remember when I first starting running seriously I picked out my own nikes and my knees were killing me. Then I went to runners depot and they told me I needed a more stable shoe. They put me in brooks beasts and the pain completely went away.

Is your shoe fitting well? I remember when I first starting running seriously I picked out my own nikes and my knees were killing me. Then I went to runners depot and they told me I needed a more stable shoe. They put me in brooks beasts and the pain completely went away.
Shoes are very important as well as toe splay. Get some injinji socks as well.

Reactions: fly4megalops
Running is bad on your body. That's why I don't do it.

Orthos LOVE runners. Lots of knee and hip replacements, both of which are high dollar surgeries that reimburse nicely. Aerobic exercise is great, but constantly pounding the lower body creates lots of problems for lots of people. Carry on.

Orthos LOVE runners. Lots of knee and hip replacements, both of which are high dollar surgeries that reimburse nicely. Aerobic exercise is great, but constantly pounding the lower body creates lots of problems for lots of people. Carry on.
Curious how much do you think an orthopod makes on a hip and knee replacement?

ADVERTISEMENT