ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Ponder & barstool?

ReliableOstrich

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Fell into a twitter hole and wound up in the comments of a few of Sam Ponder's tweets. Her comments apparently are a playground for barstool fanatics and folks who can't articulate a thought without the use of cartoons or gifs.

What went down between Sam and barstool to cause a whole internet worth of trolls to fixate on her so much?

I wasn't a fan of how Sam handled the Jameis thing before the Clemson game but she's part of the Nole fam, bygones are bygones, and the harassment she's receiving from these people is pretty disturbing.

I don’t know the whole story.

But I believe she threatened to quit ESPN if they didn’t cancel the new Barstool show.

And they did.

It’s another fail by ESPN. Barstool is the millennial generation for sports. I would have liked to see what they could have done on that platform.

The founder of Barstool was not happy about it all.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I understand the need for ESPN to cater more to millennial and post-millennial generations but barstool isn't the way to go about it. They're the lowest common denominator of internet content. Basically a modern day jackass meets girls gone wild. Perhaps there's channel for their mindless antics and flippant misogyny, but I hardly think ESPN is that channel.

I'm with Sam, wouldn't want to work at a company that sacrifices its journalistic integrity (or what remains of it) by syndicating and glorifying barstool's drivel.

The world needs less dumbing down, not more.

I understand the need for ESPN to cater more to millennial and post-millennial generations but barstool isn't the way to go about it. They're the lowest common denominator of internet content. Basically a modern day jackass meets girls gone wild. Perhaps there's channel for their mindless antics and flippant misogyny, but I hardly think ESPN is that channel.

I'm with Sam, wouldn't want to work at a company that sacrifices its journalistic integrity (or what remains of it) by syndicating and glorifying barstool's drivel.

I agreed with everything you said until you talked about ESPN having journalistic integrity.

Idk...I think 15-25 yo kids would love that show after SVP

folks who can't articulate a thought without the use of cartoons or gifs.
67093052.jpg

What did barstool do to offend you? While I don’t identify myself as a “Stoolie” I enjoy the site and visit it regularly. Have for years.

Espn is a channel for a lot of things people find off-putting, might as well include mindless antics and misogyny.

What did barstool do to offend you? While I don’t identify myself as a “Stoolie” I enjoy the site and visit it regularly. Have for years.
Nothing. Just don't think it provides much useful value for an organization aspires or claims to be about sports journalism.

It's tasteless, mindless nonsense (and an inevitable liability).

Reactions: phillienole
What does that have to do in a discussion about an organization with ESPN's mission aligning itself with barstool?

Dude...the LR doesn’t represent anything that Warchant is trying to accomplish, yet they still keep it around because there is an audience for it.

ESPN could have done the same.

Reactions: seminole4life1
Dude...the LR doesn’t represent anything that Warchant is trying to accomplish, yet they still keep it around because their is an audience for it.

ESPN could have done the same.
Is Warchant an international cable network with revenues nearing $8,000,000,000?

Comparing the tactics of a Rivals franchise with that of an organization that makes up a significant portion of revenues for the #55 company on the Fortune 500 is a stretch.

Like I said before, I don't disagree with adopting or licensing some content that caters to millennials and post-millennials, but barstool isn't it. They're a liability, hurt the network's already tarnished credibility, and glorify a lot of crap not worth glorifying. There are ways to make money that are more sustainable than tying yourself to a huckster and racing to the bottom. Barstool isn't the only option out there, far from it.

Sam did ESPN (and sports fans in general) a huge long term favor by pushing to 86 that deal.

Is Warchant an international cable network with revenues nearing $8,000,000,000?

Comparing the tactics of a Rivals franchise with that of an organization that makes up a significant portion of revenues for the #55 company on the Fortune 500 is a stretch.

Like I said before, I don't disagree with adopting or licensing some content that caters to millennials and post-millennials, but barstool isn't it. They're a liability, hurt the network's already tarnished credibility, and glorify a lot of crap not worth glorifying. There are ways to make money that are more sustainable than tying yourself to a huckster and racing to the bottom. Barstool isn't the only option out there, far from it.

Sam did ESPN (and sports fans in general) a huge long term favor by pushing to 86 that deal.

Wholeheartedly disagree

Childish and offensive though it may be, Barstool’s sports coverage is among the most honest and relatable in the business.

Reactions: DanC78
Childish and offensive though it may be, Barstool’s sports coverage is among the most honest and relatable in the business.
Sports coverage? I haven't even seen where they cover actual sports beyond just lousy blog posts, memes, gifs, and gossip.

This is utterly laughable and intellectually dishonest. They are on the outer outer outer fringes of sports journalism, or just sports in general. It's niche trash that has no place in or near a $6bn media business.

For real, post some links to the 'honest and relatable' sports coverage they've produced. I'm intrigued, where are they hiding this stuff.

Sports coverage? I haven't even seen where they cover actual sports beyond just lousy blog posts, memes, gifs, and gossip.

This is utterly laughable and intellectually dishonest. They are on the outer outer outer fringes of sports journalism, or just sports in general. It's niche trash that has no place in or near a $6bn media business.

For real, post some links to the 'honest and relatable' sports coverage they've produced. I'm intrigued, where are they hiding this stuff.

You've chosen a strange thing to have such a passionate opinion about. ESPN is a shadow of its former self. It needs to be better. Whether a Barstool show is the answer or not is debatable, but your vitriol toward the brand is just weird.

Do you actually read the site or just making generalizations off some posts? They have dedicated people to the Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, etc. (mostly the cities where Barstool got its start) that provide detailed and insightful breakdowns after each game. ESPN is more about drama than true reporting on sports nowadays.

ESPN is losing viewership big time and they have no answer as to how they will find their next generation of viewers.

Meanwhile teenagers and kids in their dorm rooms are spending hours on social media watching hot takes from media outlets like Barstool.

Again...ESPN was crazy not to have explored that avenue and even crazier to let Sam Ponder dictate their programing.

Btw...where is she anyways, is she still don g game day? I can’t say that I remember her on the show this year, but could be wrong.

Wholeheartedly disagree
You've chosen a strange thing to have such a passionate opinion about. ESPN is a shadow of its former self. It needs to be better. Whether a Barstool show is the answer or not is debatable, but your vitriol toward the brand is just weird.

It's part of his "privilege" shtick.

I'm a Chive man myself

DwjMj4y.jpg

Fair point on ESPN. And agree we can debate all day about barstool being the answer.
I wouldn't call my opinion vitriol, just defending my position on what I think would have been a disastrous long term business decision for the ESPN brand that's trying to be taken seriously and journalism in general.

Even though I'm not a fan of theirs, barstool has it's place in the world but it's not on an ESPN network that's a major revenue generator for one of the biggest companies in the US.

Also I just checked out the Barstool Boston page to peek at whatever honest/relatable content they had. It's sparse and superficial when it comes to thoughtful sports coverage. Like I said, lowest common denominator stuff.

I've been considering signing up for The Athletic lately, they seem to be hiring respected journalists in a lot of major markets.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, it had something to do with barstool's raunchy, sexist, demeaning attitude toward women that she took exception to. They then went after her, it got so bad that Christian actually weighed in on it. The thing wit barstool may have been just one person and not necessarily the "company" as a whole. I don't remember the specifics, but that was the gist of it.

Barstool is for dudebros and chads.

Portnoy is awful

He sent people after Sam, and they did what they so gleefully love to do. Very similar to Gamergate, trolls, etc.

Katz’s stated desire to just move on and have some chuckles with his buddies was apparently not enough to curtail his boss’s sociopathic behavior. Portnoy began selling a T-shirt depicting Ponder as a clown, and tweeted a video portraying himself and Ponder as characters in a scene from Game Of Thrones, in which a female character is paraded naked through the streets so that she can be shamed and humiliated:

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Barstool is for dudebros and chads.

Portnoy is awful

He sent people after Sam, and they did what they so gleefully love to do. Very similar to Gamergate, trolls, etc.
Jeez, the way this guy uses rhetoric and weaponizes his followers, all while shrugging behind a thin veneer of "who me?", is yet again appallingly similar to a certain someone else (avoiding that to keep the thread from getting locked).

ESPN hasn't made a ton of great decisions but this is certainly one good one.

Laura Wagner is an awful writer with a personal vendetta against Portnoy. It’s insane how much energy she dedicates to him.
So rather than defend that dude you choose to attack the writer.

Not a convincing defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT