ADVERTISEMENT

Share your early Super Bowl thoughts (FSU ramifications of SB 56)

Austin R. Cox

Warchant Staff Writer
Apr 29, 2019
Tallahassee, Fl.
What are your thoughts on SB 56 now that you've had a week to watch coverage of last weekend's huge Conference Championship week and on the big game?

Here's what I'll be thinking about heading into the SB:

RAMS

My first thoughts are that this game has major, major ramifications for the FSU standouts involved. This could be a big day for 'Noles in the NFL when it comes to championships.

If Ramsey wins a title to add to his resume, he could be average the rest of his career and still pretty much coast into the HOF. That's not even really going out on a limb if you look at his resume up to this point: 6 years, 5 Pro Bowl, 3-time All Pro. If LA wins this game Ramsey wouldn't need to do much more at all to have an easy case for the HOF.

Then with Cam, I'll be looking for him to still get involved and get about 10 or so touches in this game even after the NFC Champ game. I'm still holding out hope he can play even though he hasn't practiced. Maybe a little less than 10, but hopefully he'll play a part.. If he helps win this one he could come back playing for the defending champs next season and easily have an 1,000 yard season not to mention receiving. That would put him on the fast track for a big extension when his contract is up. Cross-checking Spotrac and a couple other sites, he signed a 4-year deal in July 2020 that puts him as a FA after 2023. I'm not an NFL reporter, but I would guess Cam would have a nice chance for that big "second contract" everyone talks about if they extended him following the end of the 2022 season before the offseason of 2023 (last year on deal) ahead of being a UFA. He could be in line for a big pay day

With these two 'Noles personally, I've never covered Ramsey or have met him or anything like that. But I was of course in the stands for every single one of his home games as were many of you all I am sure. What a crazy blend of size and athleticism he is. He made many all-time highlight plays, but my favorite was the third down tackle vs ND in 2014. On the last drive, with like 10 seconds left or something, he blows up the RB running down the left corner only like two yards away from the end zone. It was a huge play, but everyone just remembers the flag on fourth down the next snap. But I mean Golson hit the RB in the flats and its on the 2-yard line. Crazy ending. People talk about FSU OU 2011 or older Dynasty games but I thought that game was the best home environment I ever saw. Anyways, congrats to him on another huge season if LA wins.

Then when I look at this game from a big picture standpoint, I think the Rams are likely to come through in the clutch and late in the game in this one. I think if you're Stafford, you finally broke through after banging your head against the wall with the Lions, so he's going to be playing pretty loose; I think McVay got really tight and coached way too conservatively in the Rams' prior L in the SB vs NE in 2018 (happens to even the best of coaches, tough matchup to try and win your first one against Belichick), also Goff was shaky in that game. So I think McVay will go the other way this time and they're going to throw it a bunch and be aggressive. If I were a Rams fan I would be feeling pretty good right now about my chances.

----------------

Big takeaway is that this is a huge game for 'Noles, Auden Tate with a chance to earn a ring too even if he isn't playing. I am leaning Rams with my pick but I am still undecided. But I want to hear from you all: what do you think is the most important storyline?? Later I'll add my thoughts on Bengals, and probably some more of my thoughts on Cam and how his 2019 season at FSU really propelled him to his early successes.

BENGALS

Last edited:
Reactions: ProudFSUMom
@Austin R. Cox , first, let me say welcome to the PGSF. Not many people come to see us down here, but all are welcome!

My thoughts on SB from Noles perspective
I Hope Cam plays and has a much better day than against the Bucs, that was a brutal last outing. He is such a great story, hope he gets some good pub during next week.
Ramsey, getting burnt on the TD vs Bucs is also not a good look, hope he plays better. I think a victory is a feather in the cap, also think he is a long way away from rubber-stamping HOF entry based on the win alone. He is 45+ points ( PFR probability) behind a former Nole who had a much better career and is still not in the HOF, Mr Lambeau Leap himself Leroy Butler.

Auden Tate, I wish he could play, he has held on with a ton of receivers on that Bengals team, really has done well, hope he catches on somewhere he can be a consistent 3.

The outcome
The Rams get the win, that line of the Bengals is going to be dominated by Donald pushing up the middle and the edges collapsing. Rams keep It close with Stafford throwing some INT's , but they score enough to get the win by 7
Donald winning the SB would certainly cement his legacy as an all-time great.

@Austin R. Cox , first, let me say welcome to the PGSF. Not many people come to see us down here, but all are welcome!

My thoughts on SB from Noles perspective
I Hope Cam plays and has a much better day than against the Bucs, that was a brutal last outing. He is such a great story, hope he gets some good pub during next week.
Ramsey, getting burnt on the TD vs Bucs is also not a good look, hope he plays better. I think a victory is a feather in the cap, also think he is a long way away from rubber-stamping HOF entry based on the win alone. He is 45+ points ( PFR probability) behind a former Nole who had a much better career and is still not in the HOF, Mr Lambeau Leap himself Leroy Butler.

Auden Tate, I wish he could play, he has held on with a ton of receivers on that Bengals team, really has done well, hope he catches on somewhere he can be a consistent 3.

The outcome
The Rams get the win, that line of the Bengals is going to be dominated by Donald pushing up the middle and the edges collapsing. Rams keep It close with Stafford throwing some INT's , but they score enough to get the win by 7
Donald winning the SB would certainly cement his legacy as an all-time great.
I agree...Rams' pass rush likely featuring two future HOFers against Cincy's o-line is the biggest mismatch of the game.

The Bengals have done an amazing job getting this far ahead of schedule and look to have a very bright future.. But IMO, they'll have to address their deficiencies up in front in order to reach the top of the mountain.

All that said, it's one game and anything can happen. Burrow could always pull a Brady and upset the Rams in his first Super Bowl.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I don't really have any analysis on the game but I think we'll all be drunk as hell if we drink every time they say Cooper Kupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT