ADVERTISEMENT

So I am going to Cuba in December....

BeccaNole72

Contributor
Mar 23, 2005
Miami, Florida
My family came from Santiago de Cuba. Both sets of grandparents were born and raised there and my dad came over during operation Pedro Pan. My mom was born in the US.

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and on her death bed she said she had always wanted to go back to Santiago and see if one last time. She said that if she can never go back that she wanted her grandchildren and great grandchildren to see it if they have the chance.

Since my mom worked tirelessly over the last few years tending to my grandmother and this will be the first Christmas that we wont have my grandmother, I am planning to surprise my mom with a cruise to Cuba that happens over Christmas that stops in Santiago and Cienfuegos in Cuba in order to honor my grandmothers wish. I figured a cruise would be the easiest way to see Cuba at this point in time. I also wanted to go on one that went to areas other than Havana. My family ties are in Santiago so when I saw that Royal Caribbean had an 8 night cruise to those two ports in Cuba and also St. George island, I said "Why Not?" If not now when?

Has anyone taken a cruise to Cuba or know anyone who has?

I am excited to see (even a little glimpse) of where my family came from. I had always had mixed feelings about visiting Cuba, even after Castro died but I also want to honor my Abuela. We are planning a three generation cruise. We used to be 4 generations of women until she passed away. Its a daughter, granddaughters (my sister is coming as well) and the two great granddaughters (my daughter and niece).

PS -- its a surprise. Those of you who I am friends with on FB please dont post anything so my mom doesn't see it. Thanks.

Last edited:
One of our partners here went to Cuba in the spring and I have a group of friends going in November. The partner thoroughly enjoyed his trip. He did a Hemingway tour. His wife did a tour where they drive around in a old Buick of Chevy to tour the city. He said that it felt like going back in time.

I have no contributions regarding Cuba (have fun though!)

A) It's great having Becca back in the 'Room
B) Empty nesting is gonna be fun for you and Jason in a couple years given the traveling you've done with just one kiddo in the house

Reactions: goldmom
Haven't been but it's also something I've been thinking of. Just got back from an Alaskan cruise so I guess I still have a bit of a cruise bug in me. :)

I find a lot of my older Cuban patients state they never want to return home, though, they're not opposed to their children/grandkids going back. Hopefully your mom will be excited to go back.

FYI, I recently read that there is opposition to the many cruise lines going to Cuba, because the ports are apparently on confiscated property by Castro.

I have no contributions regarding Cuba (have fun though!)

A) It's great having Becca back in the 'Room
B) Empty nesting is gonna be fun for you and Jason in a couple years given the traveling you've done with just one kiddo in the house

We have our travel bucket list all ready and have a ton of points that need to be used. We are thinking Spain next summer, just me and Jason because Shelby will be taking a full summer term and interning and my son will be taking college classes to get a head start. The only issue might be the summer of 2020 because will be paying for 2 kids in college at the same time. Shelby is set to graduate in 2021. I like being an empty nester before I reach 50. :)

Reactions: GoNolesTX
One of our partners here went to Cuba in the spring and I have a group of friends going in November. The partner thoroughly enjoyed his trip. He did a Hemingway tour. His wife did a tour where they drive around in a old Buick of Chevy to tour the city. He said that it felt like going back in time.

Where in Cuba did they go? Havana I am assuming. I picked this cruise mainly because it goes to Santiago. I wouldn't mind visiting Havana but its Santiago that means more to me. I am looking into to see if we can get a personal tour and try and find my grandmothers house. She lived pretty close to the center of town where all the tourists go. Lots more research to be done. Thanks.

Haven't been but it's also something I've been thinking of. Just got back from an Alaskan cruise so I guess I still have a bit of a cruise bug in me. :)

I find a lot of my older Cuban patients state they never want to return home, though, they're not opposed to their children/grandkids going back. Hopefully your mom will be excited to go back.

FYI, I recently read that there is opposition to the many cruise lines going to Cuba, because the ports are apparently on confiscated property by Castro.

My mom was born here and has never been to Cuba so this will be her first time too. Believe it or not I am not much into cruises but this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Thats interesting about the ports.

I have some friends that went a few months ago; I believe they went only to Havana. They enjoyed it from what I gathered. I really wish I'd gone right away when it became doable; I'd have loved to see it before things started to change.
Sounds like a great trip, especially with some family history. Hope it goes smoothly, wouldn't want you to have to escape on a makeshift raft.

If you're a rum drinker, be sure to bring back all the Havana Club that's allowed.

I have some friends that went a few months ago; I believe they went only to Havana. They enjoyed it from what I gathered. I really wish I'd gone right away when it became doable; I'd have loved to see it before things started to change.
Sounds like a great trip, especially with some family history. Hope it goes smoothly, wouldn't want you to have to escape on a makeshift raft.

Better brush up on my swimming...

My dad came over the same time as yours did. His parents couldn't get here until many years later. They died soon after

My dad says he can't go back. He has an IT background and is worried they'd keep him there because those people are needed

I have mixed feelings too but I'm on the other side. Not going until the human rights improve in the country. Right now all the tourist money is funneled to a dictator and his regime while most of the people are dirt poor

I don't begrudge your thinking on going though

Try flying in, the Cuban government always welcomed Americans even before Castro died. There are tours that will keep you safe and show you the island. Use Google I forget the names we used

What a wonderful surprise. My dad spent some time down there in the 60's. I hope your family has a wonderful time.

From my understanding and experience, Americans can visit Cuba but are still restricted by the Cuban government in the scope of their visit. I.E., Americans can visit but have to still be part of an educational trip, history trip, visiting local schools and families in their scope of visit.

Basically, it has to be restricted to what the Americans state they are there to do. No lounging on the beach only. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. Am I wrong?

My dad came over the same time as yours did. His parents couldn't get here until many years later. They died soon after

My dad says he can't go back. He has an IT background and is worried they'd keep him there because those people are needed

I have mixed feelings too but I'm on the other side. Not going until the human rights improve in the country. Right now all the tourist money is funneled to a dictator and his regime while most of the people are dirt poor

I don't begrudge your thinking on going though

Thank you for your outlook and not looking down upon what I am doing! I am doing it more for my grandmother and honor her. I wonder if your dad and my dad knew each other from the Pedro Pan program. It’s almost like a large family of sorts. Sorry to hear about your grandparents.

It's possible but honestly the kids were probably all so scared and such coming over alone. ANd could be multiple groups at different times and such to say the least. 14k kids came over in those years of the program. So I'm not thinking they'd know most people who came over with them.

I definitely get your perspective. I'm just giving mine on why I won't go until things change. I'm almost 35 and stil have a lot of family in Cuba that I've never met

Last edited:
It's possible but honestly the kids were probably all so scared and such coming over alone. ANd could be multiple groups at different times and such to say the least. 14k kids came over in those years of the program. So I'm not thinking they'd know most people who came over with them.

I definitely get your perspective. I'm just giving mine on why I won't go until things change. I'm almost 35 and stil have a lot of family in Cuba that I've never met

I appreciate your perspective and understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: SeminOwl28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT