ADVERTISEMENT

So work got hit by a tornado today

Dhersh

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2019
Like direct hit. Just before 4pm. It was pretty terrifying.

The weather was bad and I was standing at the window looking outside. Heavy rain and steady wind from right to left. It was like a bad thunderstorm. In a matter of seconds the wind and rain started blasting from left to right and phone alerts were going off. It's like the thing dropped right on top of our building. Trees were thrown around, cars damaged, part of the building's roof was ripped off. It caused a gas leak and everyone was evacuated shortly after. I didn't expect something so eventful today haha.

You seem okay and that’s a good thing. Where are you located?
I saw that two people in the Panhandle were killed today.

Reactions: Random_John
There's no place like home, there's no place like home.
Don't forget to click your heels together too.
😁

Did it render the building unusable for your work or will they have to relocate?
Tornadoes suck. We had multiple sirens and a few funnel clouds here last week.
The building is closed until further notice. Someone said most of the roof damage is near critical rooms and there is no telling how bad rain, wind and debris might have damaged critical systems.

We are one of the company's newest facilities. Here and Tampa are in the process of coming online this year. We hadn't even reached the point of having full government approval for our facility, and this is sure to set things back. Our facility specializes in R&D and manufacturing of gene therapy vaccines, which is a new technology, and we have people and machinery specifically for that. I don't think it would be easy to move most of our operations to another facility.

These storms are doing some real damage all over the country this year.

Yeah I'm ok but it was intense! We are in Durham, on the outskirts of Research Triangle Park. It could have been worse and we are lucky no one seemed to be injured.

Hah! That's cool, I grew up in Charlotte. We always hated the Research Triangle because the state gov. would fund all the roads in that area and never complete the beltway for Charlotte. Raleigh is quite a po-dunk town to be a state capital...

=)

I live in Colorado now. I went to UNCW for college. What brought you to NC? Work I assume?

Hah! That's cool, I grew up in Charlotte. We always hated the Research Triangle because the state gov. would fund all the roads in that area and never complete the beltway for Charlotte. Raleigh is quite a po-dunk town to be a state capital...

=)

I live in Colorado now. I went to UNCW for college. What brought you to NC? Work I assume?
Yeah, work. I moved up here a little over 3 years ago from Tallahassee. Honestly both NC and CO are two of the three states that I was hoping to move to when I initially started planning my out of Tallahassee. Ended up in one of them and I visit the other on occasion already. Maybe I'll bump into you on my next ski trip haha. Just do the chop and we will know.

Yeah, work. I moved up here a little over 3 years ago from Tallahassee. Honestly both NC and CO are two of the three states that I was hoping to move to when I initially started planning my out of Tallahassee. Ended up in one of them and I visit the other on occasion already. Maybe I'll bump into you on my next ski trip haha. Just do the chop and we will know.

Yes sir! My parents went to FSU so I always grew up a huge fanboy. The ski slopes have had below-avg. Snowfall (on the whole) for almost 9 out of the last 12 years. Something is up. Save your money and head up to British Columbia or something! Haha

Yes sir! My parents went to FSU so I always grew up a huge fanboy. The ski slopes have had below-avg. Snowfall (on the whole) for almost 9 out of the last 12 years. Something is up. Save your money and head up to British Columbia or something! Haha
The mountain my son works at in Utah has had 336 inches of snow so far this season which is slightly above the 10 year average. Currently has a base of 76 inches. So, it depends on where you look. They were planning to close on the 15th, but now will probably go to the end of the month.

Well, I hate Tallahassee because it rains just about every day and sometimes it cancels my plans of sitting on the couch with a beer to watch the game 😁
..and now the Stetson game today in a lightning delay!

A few days late but glad you are ok. How is everyone from your office doing now? What is the plan now for everyone?

Reactions: Dhersh
A few days late but glad you are ok. How is everyone from your office doing now? What is the plan now for everyone?
No worries friend and thank you. Everyone seems to be ok. They are basically doing a reverification of everything in the building. Starting this week and next with the security/alarm systems, building pressure and making sure the building is structurally intact. From there it may take a bit of time to get back to where we were before the tornado hit - up to 2 months most likely depending on what they find. In the meantime, site leads and special operations on site are have their hands full, most of the employees on site are staying home and have been asked not to return until further notice.

No worries friend and thank you. Everyone seems to be ok. They are basically doing a reverification of everything in the building. Starting this week and next with the security/alarm systems, building pressure and making sure the building is structurally intact. From there it may take a bit of time to get back to where we were before the tornado hit - up to 2 months most likely depending on what they find. In the meantime, site leads and special operations on site are have their hands full, most of the employees on site are staying home and have been asked not to return until further notice.
Hopefully everyone is holding up still. I know the trauma of a storm can affect people for days.

I wish you all the best and hope you can get back to normal soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT