ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer: No. 3 FSU at No. 2 UVA Game Thread (FSU wins 1-0)

ariya_massoudi

All-ACC
Staff
Jul 30, 2022
Hey gang. Big one for the Noles tonight in Charlottesville. First major ACC test of the season and it's nationally televised. Updates will be posted here and let's have some great conversation throughout the match.

Reactions: Noles61 and c691027
Good litmus test tonight. Predicting a 2-1 Noles victory

Good to see Jenna Nighswonger back from concussion protocol. Heather Payne will miss the next few games as she’s with the Ireland national team for World Cup qualifiers.

Gilchrist will have to be huge, she’s been good this season in her opportunities.

Half: FSU leads 1-0

UVA looks really dangerous and has threatened a lot in the first. Noles have had some opportunities but struggling to create chances. First minute goal was huge, but getting a second will be massive.

Noles have really struggled this half under UVA’s press. Cavaliers getting great run of play into the box consistently.

I have no idea how we won this game. They took it to us all game and somehow we made miraculous defensive play after play. Nesbeth and Roque were awesome tonight. I don't know what the game plan was tonight. We couldn't do much right.

Overall thoughts:

- Been a while since I’ve seen FSU concede possession like that and bunker. Not sure I ever saw it under Krikorian. But it was effective and probably the right move against a UVA team that is individually more skilled and playing at home. Gutsy tactics and execution by the Noles.

- Roque is from another planet. Best keeper in the nation. She’s unreal.

- A win is a win. Noles converted on their only real good look in the first minute and held on. Away from home, at No. 2, against another College Cup favorite. 3 points and the Noles are still in first in the ACC standings.

Overall thoughts:

- Been a while since I’ve seen FSU concede possession like that and bunker. Not sure I ever saw it under Krikorian. But it was effective and probably the right move against a UVA team that is individually more skilled and playing at home. Gutsy tactics and execution by the Noles.

- Roque is from another planet. Best keeper in the nation. She’s unreal.

- A win is a win. Noles converted on their only real good look in the first minute and held on. Away from home, at No. 2, against another College Cup favorite. 3 points and the Noles are still in first in the ACC standings.
Roque's best game of her career. You can't play better than that.

I'll be interested to see if others press us like UVA in this upcoming stretch. Our touch and passing will have to be much crisper to beat that press.

FSU won 1-0, but it didn't feel like a win!
UVA dominated possession in the 2nd half like no team in recent memory.
That said, our defense did what they had to do!
Gilchrist played really well.
Nesbeth did a good job of shadowing Godfrey!
Some of these young players have now had a taste of the big time.
Hope they can learn and grow from it.
Look forward to Payne getting back.
I thought Nguyen did a reasonably good job for a true Fr in her place, but Payne's experience and skills make her much more dangerous.
Kudos to UVA for taking it to us!
They could have easily scored 3 or 4 goals.
Roque played great in front of goal, but there were a couple of times she should have come out much sooner.
Pensky certainly didn't do much subbing.

Roque defintely won't be buying dinner for that back line. She's the only reason we didn't lose by 2 or more.
Her performance was reminiscent of Tim Howard's efforts for the USMNT back in the day.

A team can't continue to live like this, however. Pensky needs to get this defense shored up... The rest of the schedule is a bear!

Reactions: daveynole
Well, our luck has evened out today against Notre Dame. Unlike UVa, the Irish have taken full advantage of our Lady Noles' leaky back line.

It's final now... ND wins 4-nil. Not the best weekend for us Noles. 😟

Well, our luck has evened out today against Notre Dame. Unlike UVa, the Irish have taken full advantage of our Lady Noles' leaky back line.

I guess some of our fans will determine that the coach should be fired now.

Reactions: NoleLizards

Complete nightmare of a game. We were obviously hungover from the onslaught second half at UVA a couple nights ago, and Notre Dame played their best game in years. I knew it wasn't going to be our day when we missed a stinking penalty kick, and then a few minutes later Beata Olsson had the ball in the box with no goalie and just kicked it over the crossbar.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT