ADVERTISEMENT

Something is off...

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
I've never seen such an outrage and overreaction by people in the way we are handling the coronavirus.

It's really bizarre. Could there be a bigger issue we don't know about or they don't want the masses to be concerned about?

I've never seen such an outrage and overreaction by people in the way we are handling the coronavirus.

It's really bizarre. Could there be a bigger issue we don't know about or they don't want the masses to be concerned about?

that has been my question for a few days now

Contagion rate. People simply say if you have a cold don't go out. But if you have ever been to Tennessee you know the pollen is thick as fog here and half the population is sneezing, has a runny nose and coughing a good chuck of the year. If you get a sinus infection, you will feel run down and sick. So how does one differentiate between allergies and the mild symptoms most people experience with this new virus?

Shocking

PobapKa.png

Reactions: WarchiefUSC
Contagion rate. People simply say if you have a cold don't go out. But if you have ever been to Tennessee you know the pollen is thick as fog here and half the population is sneezing, has a runny nose and coughing a good chuck of the year. If you get a sinus infection, you will feel run down and sick. So how does one differentiate between allergies and the mild symptoms most people experience with this new virus?
You likely won’t. Which is why the mortality rate is quite a bit lower than the 2-3% you see floating around.

Reactions: WarchiefUSC

I seriously think it's politics. The only way for the democrats to win the White House is for a statistical downturn in what has been an outstanding economy. Historically , whichever party that's in the White House gets re-elected in a good economy. It's a no-brainer historical truth. Then the President gets on the TV and announces they are going to reduce FICA and give low interest loans to businesses hurt by the virus. In addition, the media is SO HAPPY. They are like The Weather Channel in a hurricane. It all just points to politics.

I seriously think it's politics. The only way for the democrats to win the White House is for a statistical downturn in what has been an outstanding economy. Historically , whichever party that's in the White House gets re-elected in a good economy. It's a no-brainer historical truth. Then the President gets on the TV and announces they are going to reduce FICA and give low interest loans to businesses hurt by the virus. In addition, the media is SO HAPPY. They are like The Weather Channel in a hurricane. It all just points to politics.

Well yeah. In an election year everything is politics and on off years most everything is too. But that doesn't explain the reactions in other countries and with the current president too. We are taking a lot of steps to mitigate this as best as possible and that begins at the top.

You likely won’t. Which is why the mortality rate is quite a bit lower than the 2-3% you see floating around.
Right now it looks like the mortality rate is just below 2%. The issue is the exponential increase in transmission. For example, last Thursday when I spoke to my nephew (who lives in AL), there was one confirmed case in the entire state of AL. Today (5 days later), there are 39 confirmed cases. That’s a crazy increase in numbers over a short period of time. I don’t think we’ve any idea of just how many people will eventually test positive. I’ve seen projections of anywhere from 70 to 150 million people. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 million to 3 million deaths —- potentially.
This isn’t even taking into account how many folks die from other causes because resources are being devoted to trying to save COVID-19 patients while others who suffer strokes, heart attacks, etc die due to a lack of capacity/medical resources to treat everyone.
My mom was a Navy flight nurse in the South Pacific during WWII. She talked about picking up wounded servicemen at airfields & treating them on the way to field hospitals. She described the triage she had to engage in; the limited medical supplies available to her. Having to make difficult decisions about who to treat & who had injuries/wounds so severe, she had to let them go. I can’t even imagine the impact that had on her as a young woman in her early 20s. These are the types of choices the doctors in Itally have been having to make for weeks now. I hope it doesn’t come to this here in the US but I fear it might

Right now it looks like the mortality rate is just below 2%. The issue is the exponential increase in transmission. For example, last Thursday when I spoke to my nephew (who lives in AL), there was one confirmed case in the entire state of AL. Today (5 days later), there are 39 confirmed cases. That’s a crazy increase in numbers over a short period of time. I don’t think we’ve any idea of just how many people will eventually test positive. I’ve seen projections of anywhere from 70 to 150 million people. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 million to 3 million deaths —- potentially.
This isn’t even taking into account how many folks die from other causes because resources are being devoted to trying to save COVID-19 patients while others who suffer strokes, heart attacks, etc die due to a lack of capacity/medical resources to treat everyone.
My mom was a Navy flight nurse in the South Pacific during WWII. She talked about picking up wounded servicemen at airfields & treating them on the way to field hospitals. She described the triage she had to engage in; the limited medical supplies available to her. Having to make difficult decisions about who to treat & who had injuries/wounds so severe, she had to let them go. I can’t even imagine the impact that had on her as a young woman in her early 20s. These are the types of choices the doctors in Itally have been having to make for weeks now. I hope it doesn’t come to this here in the US but I fear it might

Empty stadiums, arenas, schools, etc need to be converted to triage hospitals if necessary....

Think it's just a new scary thing the scarier thing is when this all blows over and it will in a few months is what the economy is going to look like. I also hate the fact that as American's we're willing to sacrifice so many freedoms because of an unknown virus. I'm not saying to not be cautious or to not treat it seriously but the media hysteria is ridiculous. It's almost echo's times of 9/11 how many freedoms are we willing to sacrifice that the government may not be willing to give back to us when this all calms down? This is also something I never figured I'd get into talking about on the TC but I guess we got to talk about something since there aren't any sports to talk about.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
No more than 30 minutes of "news" a day. If you want to skip a day or two, you will survive.

Reactions: goldmom
Think it's just a new scary thing the scarier thing is when this all blows over and it will in a few months is what the economy is going to look like. I also hate the fact that as American's we're willing to sacrifice so many freedoms because of an unknown virus. I'm not saying to not be cautious or to not treat it seriously but the media hysteria is ridiculous. It's almost echo's times of 9/11 how many freedoms are we willing to sacrifice that the government may not be willing to give back to us when this all calms down? This is also something I never figured I'd get into talking about on the TC but I guess we got to talk about something since there aren't any sports to talk about.
I try to imagine how it was in Europe in WW2...an enemy takes over your town...kills whoever they want...destroys everything...if you are "lucky" you survive. How would you view the world after that? What would be important to you?
In the end all you want is safety and for that to never happen again...you would sell your soul for that. Anyone who "promised" that they could give you that...you would probably hand over the keys to your freedom willingly to.

Reactions: hatsbo and FSUDoles
I try to imagine how it was in Europe in WW2...an enemy takes over your town...kills whoever they want...destroys everything...if you are "lucky" you survive. How would you view the world after that? What would be important to you?
In the end all you want is safety and for that to never happen again...you would sell your soul for that. Anyone who "promised" that they could give you that...you would probably hand over the keys to your freedom willingly to.
Definitely troubling times and time will tell these next few weeks will be crucial.

ADVERTISEMENT